Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Puntures: Self repairing additive

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2003, 05:19 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just had a new set of Toyo Proxes fitted at Elite tyres in Dagenham where they are now offering a "bacterial additive" which is pumped into the tyre and seals punture holes up to 3mm without need for further repairs.
I quizzed the guy at length about the product which apparently is fully recognised by the the tyre manufacturers industry watchdog thingys (cant remember the proper authority name) as I was particularly worried about reducing the performance of a high speed rated tyre following an automatic repair which you probably wouldn't even realise had happened!
Anyone who knows Elite will acknowledge that they are a large reputable company and probably won't sell you poo. Indeed the demonstration was quite convincing; the guy drove a spike into a tyre up to the handle and it sealed itself in a couple of seconds. I ended up stumping up £10 per wheel for the stuff.

Has anyone heard of this before or have any experience of it?
Have I done the right thing?

Neil.
Old 12 February 2003, 05:52 PM
Cheetah.Turbo.
Scooby Regular

Only heard of the rally cars using it but don't know if they still do
Old 12 February 2003, 05:59 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Does the tyre need replacing once it's been auto repaired.
I.e is it a 'just get you home'? or a 'carry on as usual' fix.
Old 12 February 2003, 06:46 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Would be very interested to know this...going to get them to swap my tyres over when my new wheels come this week, and with this stuff I could risk dumping my spare to save me a few more kilos
Old 12 February 2003, 09:29 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Guys, I'm guessing the stuff you are referring to is slightly different to the Elite stuff?

The green stuff has been available for years, and yes I would trust it as far as I could throw it, but its only meant to be a 'stop gap' (ho ho) measure. This stuff Elite are selling sounds much more interesting, and a company like Elite who sell god knows how many wheel / tyre combos surely wouldn't risk it if it was less than effective!
Old 12 February 2003, 10:15 PM
SUB666
Scooby Newbie

I work for m-sport (ford rally team) and we dont use that stuff due to the weight.
Tony.
Old 13 February 2003, 09:22 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Neil S.
Apparently the tyre needs no further work unless the hole is too large to fix, in which case it won't have successfully repaired itself. If you think about it, it has to be this way because you'll never know that you had a puncture that had just undergone a "get you home" self repair! It was one of my initial concerns I must admit but they were adamant.

I don't know what colour the substance is or how much it weighs. I do know that intially I felt some vibration as the stuff spread itself around (you have to do under 50 for the first 3 miles) but all was fine within a mile or so.

As I say, the demo was pretty convincing, you even see a bit of the stuff seep outand solidify.

the number for Elites if you want to get more info is:

01708 525577

Neil.
Old 13 February 2003, 10:42 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

I'm there this weekend to get my wheels fitted will let you know if I get it done.
Old 20 February 2003, 04:34 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

OK. An update.
I was advised when I posted on another forum about this that the additive maker, Punctureshield, may not be as reputable as they make out and that I should ask some questions of Elite regarding the claims of Tyre Manufacturers association approval etc.
Before I could do this I took a motorway journey and found when cruising between 70 and 80 I had wheel wobble as normally asssociated with unbalanced wheels.
I booked the car back in for a re-check and quizzed Elite about my concerns. They were great, they were open to any negative feedback as they wanted to ensure their name wasn't dragged down because of a 3rd party company.
The long and the short was that they couldn't balance the wheels so they removed the punctureshield (it washes out) and gave me a full refund no questions asked.
I pointed out to Elite that I had contacted Toyo UK and spoke to a senior person who established that no such product was endorsed by the company and they were unaware of any industry regulator that had given such approval to any product of this nature.
Elite are going to look into it.

Neil.
Old 02 December 2003, 07:50 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
i remember i bought some of this stuff, its a green coloured substance,bought from qvc was about £25, got a nail in my tyre and guess what,had to drive to kwik fit as quick as possible to get the spare put on before the tyre was completely flat
but got full refund from qvc

[Edited by stevebt - 2/12/2003 7:53:36 PM]
Old 02 December 2003, 09:26 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

I use the green stuff in my mountain bike tyres, not sure I would rely on it in my Scoob though.

[Edited by sillysi - 2/12/2003 9:27:01 PM]