Fitting tyres without marking alloys

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2003, 12:23 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Is it possible?

The last three or four times I've had tyres fitted to my alloys the monkey that fitted them always managed to scuff the wheel [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Now I'm coming up to the first tyre change on the MY01 and I don't want them scuffed 'cos I've worked hard at keeping them in good nick. So......

Is it possible for tyres to be fitted without marking the wheels? Its got to be.

Any suggestions of how I communicate this request to the tyre fitting monk...er technicians
Old 10 February 2003, 04:14 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yeh they dont take much care do they [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Ask them if poss to put the weights on the inside of the rim and stand over them when theyre doing it. I always ask them politely to try n not scour the alloys. However u usually get a rust mark or bubble of paint under the old weights anyway.
Old 10 February 2003, 04:55 PM
Boo
Scooby Regular

Smile

I had 4 new tyres fitted today at Bracknell battery and Tyre. I asked the fitter to take care with the rims and i have to say the he did a great job. This is the first time I have had tyres fitted without damage.
Adrian
Old 10 February 2003, 05:11 PM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had mine fitted locally for £5 each and the guy covered them in cloth!!! Not a mark. I did put electrical tape around the rim on the first pair (took them in 2 at a time as I was replacing brake pads) until I saw how careful he was - he owned a new Carrera 4S so I think he was fussier than most! Last year I got ATS to fit a set and ended up getting them to pay for a full refirb. Cost about £400+ at their expense but won't be going back.
Old 12 February 2003, 01:00 PM
AndyS44
Scooby Regular

Self adhesive must always be used on alloys! - Not so, all STI7's have clip on weights as standard. I think it's because there is very little space on inside between wheel and caliper?
Old 12 February 2003, 01:32 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Any "proper" wheel & tyre fitter will have a contactless machine, and will be able to fit them with no problems.

I can recommend Mark @ Tyres Northampton who has fitted several sets for us - usually the cheapest too
Old 12 February 2003, 01:38 PM
yoza
BANNED

Unhappy

Remember to take your locking wheel nut thingie.

Or you may end up waiting in a que,then having to go home come back and re-join the que........ HELLO.......

Also did you know,alloy valve caps weld themselves onto the valves after a while,and you cant get them off.

New valves and plastic caps fitted for free a Cosco,nice colour coordinated alloy caps in bin.
Old 13 February 2003, 08:00 PM
john catania
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I agree with earlier comments, use of a contactless machine should do the job. Mark @ tyres Northampton gets my vote.
Old 03 March 2003, 08:18 AM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

John (and others).

Thanks for the advice - I made the trip to Northampton on Saturday. 4 new Toyos fitted PDQ, not a mark on my wheels, so it can be done
Old 03 March 2003, 11:21 AM
Ricky81 STi
Scooby Regular

I'm a part time tyre fitter and I am yet to score someones pride and joy, I know how fussy I am with my Scooby rims so I treat everyone else the same. I have fitted up to 19" M3 Tyres without a mark with a worried looking Owner looking over my shoulder and he was nice enough to throw me a Tenner tip for be careful. So yes fitting tyres without marking Rims is easy.
Old 02 December 2003, 12:31 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

ALWAYS ask them to take care with the alloys and the wheel nuts. It also helps if you loosen those alloy wheel nuts as the power tools they use can burr the flats if their sockets are worn combined with heavy handed use. You'll discover this later when the time comes to change the wheel and your own socket does not fit your wheel nuts cleanly. Believe me, a puncture on a dark, rainy night is not the time to discover this heavy handedness....

Whenever I've politely asked tyre fitters etc to do this they've done exactly as requested.

My observations on other cars show many tyre fitters still use rim clips to secure balance weights on alloy wheels. Self adhesive ones MUST be used on alloys. Fitting rim clip secured weights will scratch the coatings. Salt and weathering leading to slow air loss between rim, rim clip and tyre results. "These crap alloys are pourous mate - they all do that". No they're NOT, just poor and careless balance weight fitting is the cause.

Safety Fast MotorinG..... the way to go ...

[Edited by MGJohn - 2/12/2003 12:32:35 PM]