Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

godspeed brakes??

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2003, 07:19 PM
sly fox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

I have an my00 and am looking to buy some uprated discs, also bigger as i have 18" and the standard 4 pots and discs look tiny behind them.

Has anyone used these brakes and, are they "that much" better than the standard uk 2000 brakes??

Honest opinions please from people who have them.

cheers

sly
Old 08 February 2003, 08:03 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've done two trackdays with mine now and they areexcellent. I was out braking a lot of cars and they lasted well both days with little wear and no fade.

Steve
Old 10 February 2003, 10:51 AM
sly fox
Scooby Regular

cheers mate,

anybody else with opinions?
Old 10 February 2003, 11:16 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In terms of performance, there's been a lot of very good feedback from users on this BBS. I haven't used them myself, so can't comment.

There's just a few points you should be aware of.

1. Since the original Subaru calipers were designed to handle a small disc, the pad surface from the OEM pads is too small too handle a large disc. Ian fits modified pads (large Jag caliper spec ones IIRC) and these poke out of the Subaru caliper somewhat. It's not a design fault of Ian's, just what you should expect from using the OEM caliper, a much bigger disc and a bigger pad. If you fitted std size pads, the surface contact would be far too small and defeat it's purpose.

2. Ian's warranty covers warping, even when used on track, but you need to ship them back to Ian in Wales if you wish to claim. You can't just pop along to your local dealer like with AP, Brembo, etc.. disks. Ian will obviously want to see them for himself first before shipping a new set off to you, so expect to have to pay substantial shipping costs as they aren't the lightest things.

3. When fitting the mounting bracket for the calipers (to push it further away from the hub), you need to tap the original bracket holes in the wheel hub. There's no going back, but I guess if you re-fitted the calipers with OEM discs at a later date (say you sell the car), you could just buy some shorter bolts.

There's been a minority of users who have experienced problems with Ian's service and have openly critcised him. I guess any supplier is bound to have some dissatisfied customers, but these appear to be a small minority in Ian's case.

Do a search and you'll see that the satisified customers far out weigh the disgruntled ones.

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 2/10/2003 11:17:36 AM]

[Edited by ozzy - 2/10/2003 11:18:47 AM]
Old 10 February 2003, 09:54 PM
SilverSmith
Scooby Regular

I have got Ian's 335mm disk kit, the performance has been superb, no problems what so ever... and they certainly look good too

Have a look here for a bit more info.
Old 11 February 2003, 09:06 AM
sly fox
Scooby Regular

silversmith,

that is one brilliant link.

well done!
Old 11 February 2003, 12:40 PM
SilverSmith
Scooby Regular

No problem, if you decide to go down this route and need to borrow the Tap give me a shout
Old 16 February 2003, 10:16 PM
sly fox
Scooby Regular

GREAT NEWS!!

Firstly, i eventually ordered a set of godspeed 335mm front discs and recieved them within 3 days!!

Secondly, it is some of the best engineering i have seen for a bit (well done ian), all the kit is presented beautifuly.

Thirdly, all the kit is now fitted. Dead easy to do, and everything fitted perfectly!!

Forth, wow !! These things certainly stop you well!! I have only run them for about 50 miles so far, so they are still bedding in, but they are defo better than standard size discs (especially once they have warmed up!)

I must say a big thanks to silversmith, who's instructions on fitting them where truely brilliant! THANKS!!

Overall, a very, very good package and I would defo recommend it to any true scooby driver..

p.s they also look awesome!!

sly
Old 16 February 2003, 10:58 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to here another happy Godspeed user, Ian gets too much stic around these parts, at the end of the day he's a one-man-band, doing his bit for the community, surely not all AP's or Brembo's customers are evr happy, but Ian just seems to get more than his fair share.
Enjoy!!