Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brakes and wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2003, 04:40 PM
Goldfinger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folks,

I recently had my passenger front wheel bearing replaced under warranty .. the car was making a loud knocking/grinding noise, especially when going slow and going round corners to the right, which got progressively worse. As you probably know the brakes don't work correctly when a wheel bearing goes .. again, this progressively got worse, starting with a little travel before the brakes started to bite and in the end there was 2-3 inches of travel before anything started to happen - worrying .

Anyway, had the bearing replaced but the problem was still there, well the knocking had gone but the brakes still didn't work properly at all. The car went back to the dealership who bled the breaks and tried in earnest to rectify the problem. After careful inspection of the brake disks, there was a black line and slight lip on the driver's side front disk. So, the disks were changed and new pads put in as well. (happy as the disks were replaced under warranty )

The brakes now feel great and bite very nicely even with a gentle prod of the pedal. However, they only seem keen when the brakes have had time to warm up, when I first set off and they are cold there is 2-3 inches of travel still before anything happens ... pumping the brakes work on the second prod of the pedal.

Has this happened to anybody else? I'm sure I can't remember the brakes being like this before ...

Any comments would be welcome

Cheers
Phil
Old 06 February 2003, 07:22 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
sounds like there's still air in the system...........
does it only do this first time or is it every time you use them??
alyn - as performance