Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

So, who has winter tyres??

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2003, 01:15 AM
Luke
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone winter tyres that they have used in this bad weather??

I know we dont often get to use them!! but they must be a great thing to have...... Not a lot of money and a better chance of keeping the car on the road....

[Edited by Luke - 2/1/2003 1:25:11 AM]
Old 05 February 2003, 07:42 AM
Luke
BANNED

Thats amazing................ Not one reply. So no one uses correct tyres for ice/snow??? Good luck!!
Old 05 February 2003, 07:59 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile

Luke
I have winter tyres, but on my Golf and I am using them to great effect in Norway. Braking in snow is extremely good. You still slip and slide though but traction is improved.

Ice is a bit more tricky but the tyres still seem to find some grip, I climbed a steep hill and when I got out of the car was amazed as I could hardly stand it was so slippy.

I have only once had a "Oh my God" incident when there was "ice rain" overnight. The hill that I live on became a huge slide with ice looking just like glass, and I just couldnt get any control going down, apart from bouncing the car off the verges to slow it down a bit. Thankfully, at the foot of the hill was a bit clearer and I managed to stop.

I went back up later in the day but put snow chains on and had no problems.

The tyres I have are "pig free" this means that they do not have any metal studs in them as most of the Norwegians use which gives improved traction on ice.They are 195/65/15 Continental Contiviking contact.

I was looking last night for snow tyres for my RB5 and I see that Toyo do some snow tyres 205/45/17 Snowprox S950 http://www.toyo.co.uk/pages/s950.html and in view of my experiences am thinking of getting a set for winter driving. I find the T1-s on my scoob scary to say the least in snow and slush.

My car has a 335mm brake kit on it so a smaller wheel is not an option.

Hope this helps

Beastie

[Edited by Beastie - 2/5/2003 12:50:45 PM]
Old 05 February 2003, 08:28 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I recently bought some for mine again (I'd said I wouldn't use the car in the snow this year - fat chance!) - they offer more grip, but are not the life saver you may imagine them to be. The usual 4wd "I can accelerate fine, but turning and braking is a bit of a problem" is still prevalent

Of course, 205 section 17" snow tyres on KW coil-overs is a bit of a waste....but better than 225 summer tyres in the weather we have currently...

My sensible friends all have crap run-abouts for winter.

Richard
Old 05 February 2003, 10:59 AM
Lars
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I run Pirelli asymetrico winter tyres on my Scooby MY 99 Size 205/50 on 16" OEM rims. It is great in snow and rain. Only problem is max speed is 190 km/t

Great for driving, but the look is bad. I look forward to get my 17" gold OZ's back on when spring is here

Lars Denmark
Old 06 February 2003, 12:28 AM
obi
Scooby Regular

We have a set of Snowproxies on spare rims for winter trips to the Alps. Used them during last week's 'great snow storm' and had no problems whilst those around us were parking in ditches.
Old 06 February 2003, 08:37 AM
STIVII_Otou-san
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nokian WR (V) in 225/45*17 on STI7 OEM rims. Fantastic on snow and even wet. I should know, driving in snow conditions for the last 3-4 months. Cost? As a similar sized summer tire. Handling: softer sides gives a less rigid ride and more stable, less noice. So, I am happy and would recommend these.

STIVII
Old 06 February 2003, 10:12 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

It is terrifying when people are all over the place around you when you are safely trundling along on proper snow tyres

The snow has only really stayed on the ground once this year, but since I head off skking quite often, I keep mine on all the time in winter (saves heartache when it snows/gets icy in town, too - rare though that is thesedays).

Pirelli Ice Sports 215/45-17 - not too floppy for tarmac, very good on snow, avg on ice <-all relative coz they are brill in those conditions compared with my Potenza RE-01s

HTH