Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2003, 01:55 PM
fatnutsac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone got any ideas?

my98 standard spec and brakes.

just before christmas the brakes started squealing as though the pads were binding slightly (not enough to affect the momentum). Noise obviously stopped/changed when brakes were applied or when sharp cornering but would always return. This lasted about 8 miles then disappeared. Sounded like offside front problem

Had the brakes checked out at a garage striaght away who found no problem with any part of the system.

Went away satisfied they were ok and weren't gonna fail on me.

Everything okay until last night when the b*stards start up with the noise again! this time from front nearside.

Don't know enough about cars to feel comfortable that this noise will disappear without major damage to the disks etc.

Anyone had this problem themselves or have any clue as to what the problem is down to??

Cheers

Andy

Old 27 July 2003, 08:56 AM
Tim23948
Scooby Newbie

Been looking in the archives for help with my brake connected noise - an eratic squeal which goes away when I use the brakes or handbrake (gently), then returns, then disappears for a week or so - and came across your posting from January. I have an identical problem!!
Did you ever get it sorted ?
Old 27 July 2003, 04:21 PM
killemonthecorners
Scooby Regular

Angry

i have the same problem.
do you both have the 2 pot fronts same as me ?
i'm looking at upgrading to the four pots to try and cure the problem since my last attempt failed (new discs, pads and caliper rebuild at a cost of £200 for the parts and a day spent covered in brake fluid and oil)
Old 27 July 2003, 05:44 PM
Tim23948
Scooby Newbie

Yep, 2-pots.
But I think my noise is from the BACK because it also goes off when I gently put on a bit of handbrake as well as when I apply the footbrake.
I'm wondering if it could be a wheel bearing, though I wouldn't expect the noise to disappear for a week or so if it was a bearing....... I'm thinking it is a sticky calliper, perhaps ?
Anyone else got any bright ideas ?
Old 27 July 2003, 11:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Hi, Just posted a problem with similar symtoms (just started reading the other threads)

So any hints would be handy. Only thing I can say is that the handbrake does not act on the rear calipers (well on MY97 at least). It uses small brake shoes that act in the inner surface of the disc. So if using the hand brake cures the problem then its not the calipers. Otherwise I'm stuck too

Old 28 July 2003, 06:45 AM
Tim23948
Scooby Newbie

So we don't know if this is brakes or bearings, or even something else - though unlikely. How about putting this thread across into general technical if we don't know what it is, we might get some more light on it from more folks on there ?
Sorry, don't know how to move a thread over.
Old 30 July 2003, 10:24 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Just a follow up after my afternoon of tinkering.

I think I have cured it (note that I THINK ). Basically I removed the pads completly to make sure that there were no "hard" parts which you can sometimes get.

I found the edges of the disc to be very rusty (quite normal) but, it is possible that the flaking rust could catch the stainless guides for the pads. So I cleaned all the rust off. To do this I had the car on a 2 poster ramp with all 4 wheels in the air, I started the engine in 2nd gear and scraped clean the edges with an old screwdriver (the lazy way ). Obviously without a ramp you'll need to do it all by hand (a dremmel may be handy for this). But keep clear of the main braking surface. It will also be rather hard to turn the disc because of the LSD.

While the calipers were off I thought I may as well check the handbrake shoes, To do this you remove the caliper brackets (the bolts will be tight) and the disc pulls straight off.

I found the hand brake shoes to be very dirty covered in crap and dust. So I used some standard brake cleaner (you can get it from halfords) And cleaned off all the crap. After letting it dry I put it all back together, with some fresh copper-ease on the sliding parts of the pads (don't get any on the discs or pad faces)

Since then I've covered 50 miles and I am yet to hear any odd noises from the back

(I'll post the same reply in my own thread to help others in the future)

[Edited by ALi-B - 7/30/2003 10:27:57 PM]