Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Squeel/Squeek from Rear

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2003, 11:15 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Unhappy

Got the 'ol scoob out and gave it a good run Managed to get the brakes hot enough to clean the crap thats acumulated on the rear discs, So I've cured the "clonking" noise on the rear pads/discs, Now I have another problem

whilst I was cruising back at 70ish mph I heared a rapid faint squeeling noise from the rear, seemed to be in time with the road wheels. I lightly pulled the hand brake to make sure it was'nt that, The noise dissappeared, but on the next bend it would come back.

When I slowed down to about 10mph the squeeling got very loud, using the brakes made no difference. I then got stuck in slow moving traffic and the noise seemed to die off. But I have had it before, but this has been the worst inccident so far.

It's either a wheel bearing or something to do with the handbrake. Anyone had similar issues and have a clue on how to fix it?

[Edited by ALi-B - 7/27/2003 11:16:14 PM]
Old 28 July 2003, 05:35 AM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your pads mate.Mine did it, and on inner pad theres a metal bit that if pads are low will catch disc.Its a marker to give you audible noise that they need replacing.Iif you get pads off its only on inside pad so just compare inner and out to see what i mean
Old 28 July 2003, 10:25 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers, I'll give them a check, They were ok on the last service, but I have been quite heavy with the brakes recently

But I would have thought the noise to be continual? or occur when ever touched the brakes. At the moment it's not doing it at all
Old 28 July 2003, 10:49 AM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

It may just be bit off rust dropped off edge of disc and got trapped down in caliper, worth a look
Old 28 July 2003, 11:19 AM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

I had the same symptoms when my pads were on the way out, its extremely irritating. Replaced the pads, noise gone !

T
Old 30 July 2003, 10:28 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Just a follow up after my afternoon of tinkering. I thought I'd post "How to" just help others as its easy enough DIY job

I think I have cured it (note that I THINK ). Basically I removed the pads completly to make sure that there were no "hard" parts which you can sometimes get.

I found the edges of the disc to be very rusty (quite normal) but, it is possible that the flaking rust could catch the stainless guides for the pads. So I cleaned all the rust off. To do this I had the car on a 2 poster ramp with all 4 wheels in the air, I started the engine in 2nd gear and scraped clean the edges with an old screwdriver (the lazy way ). Obviously without a ramp you'll need to do it all by hand (a dremmel may be handy for this). But keep clear of the main braking surface. It will also be rather hard to turn the disc because of the LSD.

While the calipers were off I thought I may as well check the handbrake shoes, To do this you remove the caliper brackets (the bolts will be tight) and the disc pulls straight off.

I found the hand brake shoes to be very dirty covered in crap and dust. So I used some brake cleaner (you can get it from halfords) And cleaned off all the crap. After letting it dry I put it all back together, with some fresh copper-ease on the sliding parts of the pads (don't get any on the discs or pad faces)

Since then I've covered 50 miles and I am yet to hear any odd noises from the back

[Edited by ALi-B - 7/30/2003 10:31:41 PM]