Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake Pads...

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2003, 03:52 PM
doobiedooo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noticed yesterday that "Ferodo" make pads for the scooby. I've used them on previous cars I've owned and found them to be pretty good.

They are cheap as chips. Anyone got any opinions on fitting these until I can afford a good discs and pads upgrade all round??

Old 15 January 2003, 11:05 AM
doobiedooo
Scooby Regular

Anyone???
Old 15 January 2003, 11:26 AM
jpidding
Scooby Regular

I've been through more different pads than I care to mention.

I've got a set of Godspeed 294mm alu-bell type discs and have reverted back to using standard pads.....in this case Mintex...standard spec. I find them fine even on the circuit (Nurburgring) and they only cost £23.50 a set, whereas the Ferrodo Racing ones/Pagid Fast road seem to set me back about £120....and **** the standard discs in when used hard.

Also the std pads bite better from cold. Unless you're getting fade, stick to "cold" pads! If you get fade fit bigger discs and try to stick to colder pads if you can....fast road pads will warp/crack single piece discs in an afternoon!

James
Old 15 January 2003, 11:35 AM
doobiedooo
Scooby Regular

The Ferodo's are £29.99 cheap ones from Halfords. Certainly not racing pads!

From reading sccobynet people seem to frown on cheap pads but I've used these Ferodo's on a Prelude Vtec and they were gr8!

Old 15 January 2003, 11:58 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People have a lot of opinions on Scoobynet just don't believe everything you read.

I'm sure the trackday junkies will tell you that you shouldn't scrimp on brakes, tyres, etc..

If you can stop in time with your style of driving, then why not fit them. Just don't expect them to stop within 20 feet from 120mph or do this time and time again around a track.

And the end of the day, you'll only have wasted £23.99 if they are ****.

Stefan
Old 15 January 2003, 01:30 PM
jpidding
Scooby Regular

Last year on the ring I did over 150 laps. I got through 5 sets of front discs and pads.

Set 1: Standard 4 pot scooby set up. Worked fine until I wore out the pads and replaced them with Ferrodo Racing 2500....then the discs warped due to the hotter temps within 7 Ring laps.

Set 2: Pagid "Group N" discs & Pagid blue pads. HUGE crack appeared in one disc despite very carful running in. Kind refund of money by Scoobysport....didn't wanna try another set of the same!

Set 3 & 4 Dutch sourced OEM spec discs with Ferrodo Racing 2500 pads. Discs lasted better than Subaru originals, but vibration was evident after 10 laps, & were completely shagged after 20 laps.

Set 5 294mm x 28mm Godspeed 2-piece discs (grooved not drilled) with Mintex Fast road pads. Noisy esp under hard breaking, but no fade, no cracking and no warping. Pads lasted about 40 laps. Gone back to Mintex std spec which bite better from cold and don't seem to fade.*** Discs have now done over 50 laps with no problems.

*** To give you an idea of how hard I'm driving, on a good day with a clear track I'm doing laps between 8:35 and 8:45 Bridge to Gantry....that's about 20 secs slower than the Ring Taxi with driver + 2 passengers. My car has 250bhp, STI springs & shocks, 17" 02MY whheels, otherwise standard.

Hope this info helps.

James.
Old 15 January 2003, 07:34 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 380 Likes on 302 Posts
what you're being quoted for there are replacement pads only.......
alyn - as performance
Old 15 January 2003, 08:26 PM
wally
Scooby Regular

jpidding, I think you must recalibrate your chrono, or else I wanna drive with you on the 'ring', contact me, the fastest I've ever driven with was Mark from EMS, he followed the ringtaxi with his over the top driving style... I'm waiting for an answer... mail ma
Old 16 January 2003, 08:12 AM
jpidding
Scooby Regular

Wally.....I know Mark....he was the one who chipped my car shortly after I bought it new in Holland. I live in Koln, so it's easy for me to get down to the Ring. I've downloaded a file of Mark doing a complete lap in less than perfect conditions (some patches of wet visible) and he is really, really fast, but then he is the ex-Dutch rally champ (so I'm led to believe, don't quote me!). You're more than welcome to join me for a few laps....I'm just waiting to get some better weather, then I'm gonna be down there. I'd really like a lap with Mark too! I don't get the car sideways like him, except maybe at Adenauer-Forst, where lifting off on entry to the left hander can give the crowd something to cheer about.....problem is that this is really not the fastest way through the bend! Unless I get things wrong, on the rest of the circuit I try to keep things smooth and neutral. In the wet at the Ring it's just horrible....the car just seems to understeer badly everywhere, despite a stiffer rear antiroll bar and a good suspension setup. I guess I just don't have the cohones to really commit to get the car doing scan-flicks.....whould be great to learn though.

Re brake fluid, when I fitted the Godspeed kit I bled the brakes with "uprated" Dot4 (dont remember the make), but on one occasion the pedal went almost to the floor late last season. I've now bought some Bendix Dot 5.1 and once I get a decent day I'll flush the whole system through with that and see how that goes.

James.
Old 18 January 2003, 03:49 PM
wally
Scooby Regular

jpidding, just placed pagid bleuRS42 on my Prodrive discs, brake power is now awesome, like you I have to wait for better wetter to go to the 'ring'.
Last year with the Prodrives, used Hawk pads, they were very good but the fading that I had was probably due to worn out brake fluid, things are now settled.
The fastest lap I ever drove on the ring was with Horst Von Saurna and his 911GT2, quite awesome stuff, was really CARSICK after that lap for about 2 hours, but it was worth it.
Last year I made also a big slide on adenauer forst, turn in, but to fast and too late, the car oversteered badly, I was followed by a 911,I hit the curbs, damaged a wheel lighty, but continue the lap. Later, the guy in the 911 told me he had never tought that I could hold it and had prepared for a crash, great driving he told me, especially that I continued, most guys that made a slide hold on and never come on the ciruit again he says.
Old 19 January 2003, 05:00 PM
LeoneTurbo
Scooby Regular

*** To give you an idea of how hard I'm driving, on a good day with a clear track I'm doing laps between 8:35 and 8:45 Bridge to Gantry....that's about 20 secs slower than the Ring Taxi with driver + 2 passengers. My car has 250bhp, STI springs & shocks, 17" 02MY whheels, otherwise standard.
I've had a Jahreskarte last year (200+ laps) and I usually did BTG in 9'05" with my MY92 Leone Turbo 2WD (140 bhp, 910 kg). I'm touching just under 9'00" with my Legacy 4WD (150 bhp). I have Impreza 2-pot calipers on the front, I'm thinking about using Pagid pads (OEM replacement) because Subaru pads give overheating issues...

I've been told Ferodo DS2500 give the best results, performance and value wise.
Old 19 January 2003, 07:36 PM
wally
Scooby Regular

Could be, but here in Belgium there is only one (I know) brake parts dealer with some common sense !!! And the Ferro's were not in stock, the pagids were immediateley available (Bleu RS42) at 155 €, very good price I think..
Old 20 January 2003, 08:42 AM
jpidding
Scooby Regular

I know only of one tuning shop in Germany for Scoobs....it's in Bochum about an hour north of Cologne. In the past I've visited Vreede in Holland.....Imprezas are popular there and the mad Dutch love tuning them as much as we do.

If anyone wants to know the part number of the Mintex pads I got for £23.50, here it is...MDB 1416 AF. Interestingly, on the box the application says Nissan 300ZX Turbo 89 onwards. Consultation of the Mintex web site http://www.mintex.co.uk/index.html (go to "catalog" and fill in the details) confirms the common part between the Scoob and Nissan, but says 90-94 for the Nissan. Phisically checking them against an old pad shows they are identical.

Hope this helps.

James.
Old 20 January 2003, 05:15 PM
doobiedooo
Scooby Regular

gonna get the Mintex Pads. Any ideas what their disks are like cos I might get some of them too!

Old 21 January 2003, 08:46 AM
jpidding
Scooby Regular

No idea about their discs. I guess they should be similar to std. Should be cheaper than Subaru. Probably wouldn't last that long on a track day. Give 'em a go and let us know.
Old 22 January 2003, 03:49 PM
doobiedooo
Scooby Regular

Got the Mintex pads but ended up with "blue print" disks (!!??). I ordered Mintex and this is what came.

Ever heard of them?? Any good???
Old 23 January 2003, 11:13 AM
jpidding
Scooby Regular

No idea about Blue Print discs....sorry.
Old 23 January 2003, 06:45 PM
AndyS44
Scooby Regular

Heard a nasty rumour that new Subaru sorced pads for an STI7 are about £270.....tell me this isn't true??

What alternatives are there??

What sort of mileage will I get from a set (no track days) just standard scooby A o B (you get the picture!)

Cheers
Old 23 January 2003, 10:20 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 380 Likes on 302 Posts
that may well be the price from subaru but we do a number of alternatives starting at around half that price!!
alyn - as performance
Old 24 January 2003, 08:51 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

I went into halfords last night and discovered the ferodos are only for 2 pots, my car has 4 pots, spoke to the guy at the counter and he said he could only get Mintex for 4 pots and they are £50.

Where are the mintex available from for £23.50 and were these for 2 or 4 pots ?

Thanks

Ken
Old 24 January 2003, 06:16 PM
Aram
Scooby Regular

Hi there, i'm looking for some discs and pads, i have an MY96 Mcrea, normal dutch version so 211 hp, and find the braking quality close to non-existant, so i now bought a set of my99 brakecalipers. Now comes the part where i need ur experience :-)
I rarely drive on a circuit, but i do brake late in my driving, so what is acording to u the best setup of discs/pads. I don't have a big amount of money to spend, that's why id don't have an ap-kit :-). Hope u guys have some suggestions :-)

greets

Aram

Holland
Old 30 January 2003, 07:46 AM
jpidding
Scooby Regular

Ken E,

The Mintex pads I got were for 4 pots (for £23.50) and were exactly the same part number as the ones I had got from halfords for just over £50.

I got them from a local parts store to me in East Sussex. If you wanna give them a call I'm sure they'd post you a couple of sets (2 sets + postage would probably equal 1 set from Halfords!!!).

The place is called Martin Storey Engineering Ltd. Their number is 01892 655593. Talk to a guy called Carl......if he's not there ask for Tony.....they should both know me by name.....I've been using them for over 16 years now (since my first Marina 1275).

They will probably have to order them in, but this only takes a few days at most.

For when you call them my full name is James Piddington. If they don't match the price, ask them if they can discount it to 23.50 for 2 or more sets. Please mention I recomended them. Let me know how you get on.

James.
Old 30 January 2003, 07:55 AM
jpidding
Scooby Regular

Dinges,

Best value is from Godspeed. If you have 17" wheels go for the larger disc/caliper conversion for about €900. If you have 16" go for the wider (28mm) 294 dia discs for about €750. If you have 15" wheels, get bigger ones!

As for pads.....see discussion above.....I prefer std temp ones. If you get fade go for Pagid or Ferrodo fast road items. Vreede (main dealer) in Holland has these for about €200 a set or get them from Godspeed when you buy the discs (he's a bit cheaper).

http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/

See you at the Ring in March? (It's bloody closed til then.....AND a year card now costs €700!!!)

James.
Old 30 January 2003, 08:35 PM
Aram
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi there James :-)=
Thanks for the reply! I already contacted Ian and got a reply, his prices look good! I might want to have them picked up by a m8 who is a truckdriver and comes alot to ur shores, so i may aswel get the pads from Ian aswel then :-). I'm not sure as too when this wil happen though bcoz i'm going to buy an open exhaust first.Then the brakes wil be first, or perhaps the pre97 ecu-upgrade in between somewhere :-)
Nyway i do want to go to the ring this year, but i'm not sure when this will be, but keep me posted so i know when u guys wil be going :-).

greetz

Aram
Old 30 January 2003, 09:35 PM
rjb
Scooby Newbie

Having been through OEM and Pagid pads, I'm now running Mintex 1155s on my MY98 with its standard crumby calipers. They are great, bite from cold, have a higher fade temperature, need no heat cycling and don't squeal.

One worry I had with 1155s was that their web site says race/rally only, and someone pointed out this could mean no insurance as a worst case scenario if they spot your brakes are not meant for road use. So I contacted Mintex and they said:

"ECE Regulation 90 is compulsory for all brake pads and shoes fitted to vehicles registered after September 1999" - so that meant the 1155 non E marked pads are fine on a MY98. They added "I can confirm that although M1155 is used mainly for Race and Rally applications it is perfectly safe to use in your vehicle and has been approved by our engineers."

So I was pleased with that and pleased with Mintex customer service who replied to my email within a couple of hours.

Rjb.
Old 31 January 2003, 08:43 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

James

Thanks for the info. I have looked on the mintex site and there are 3 mintex distributors within a couple of miles of where I live so I will give them a try first. If no joy then I will get in touch with the place you have recommended.

Ken