Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Advice appreciated,brake fade on type RA?

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2003, 04:54 PM
skoobyRA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have just had scary moment when braking hard from 100+mph.Car started to slow but suddenly the brakes seemed to give up and I only just managed to come to a halt inches behind car in front.The brakes were smoking like I've never seen.Have been advised to fit grooved discs and new pads which is fair enough but should just new pads cure this or are grooved discs a must.A mechanic I know says this could be that the pads could have hardened where they've got too hot so a new set of pads plus perhaps changing fluid for Castrol racing fluid might sort it.Brakes are fine again now when driving normally.Would be grateful for any info on this as I really don't want this happening again if I can help it.Also probably been asked on here a million times before,what are a good set of pads to get?Thanking you Martin[just going for a change of underwear now] Edited just to say car is 1999 WRX Sti V Type RA V-Ltd

[Edited by skoobyRA - 1/10/2003 4:57:14 PM]

[Edited by skoobyRA - 1/10/2003 5:16:41 PM]
Old 10 January 2003, 06:08 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

I wouldnt just go for pads, if you have the money i would go the whole hog and get an upgraded brake kit, this should include bigger discs, pads, new 4 or 6 pot calipers (4 pots are enough on the road) braided brake lines and some DOT 5.1.
If this is a little expensive then have your brake fluid changed (should be every 2 years) and you could go for something like the Godspeed kit (335mm which will run on your standard calipers with uprated pads).
Depends what you want really, John Felstead has the same car you do and i know he runs a 330mm AP 4 pot setup, so have a word with him

Tony
Old 10 January 2003, 08:29 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
you dont say what age/caliper type you have, or you're current spec.........
mail or phone for any advice -- one quick one is that dot5.1 is NOT a performance brake fluid (even though everyone sells it as such!), it is specifically developed for certain ABS cars - the main difference between 5.1 and other fluids is its ability to repell moisture, quite often its temp. range is the same or less than most other dot4 fluids - we recomend a high quality dot4 (£5/ltr) for road/light track use and a "racing" dot4 for competition/heavy track day use (£12.50/500ml). if you change every 2yrs you should have no problems......however if you're doing trackdays you should re-bleed every time to stop fluid degradation due to high temps.
hope this is of some help,
alyn - as performance 0191-4103770
Old 10 January 2003, 09:49 PM
skoobyRA
Scooby Regular

Uh Oh,I can feel one of those credit card moments coming on Thanks for the help
Old 01 October 2003, 07:52 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

It depends what you want. For road driving, uprate your pads and discs and fill the system with dot5.1 fluid. Most people like Scoobysport or TSL do kits for about £300.

If you a re a 'keen' road driver or dabble in track days, go for a 335mm Godspeed Conversion with Castrol SRF fluid and braided hoses. This is a big disc kit and includes spacers to both move the caliper out from the hub and widen the caliper. I use mintex M1144 pads with mine. I have done two track days with this kit (£600) and not faded once. The pads are not wearing too quickly either. You will need at least a 17" wheel to fit this kit, although Godspeed do a smaller diameter disc.

The top pic shows the difference in size between the Godspeed discs and the standard 294mm Subaru 4 pot disc. The other pic is the disc behind my 17" wheel.

If you are rich, then an AP kit is the way to go. These comprise of new discs, pads and calipers and are about £1600.

Hope this helps

Steve

[Edited by Steve Sherwen - 1/10/2003 7:55:27 PM]