Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Tyre Wear & Camber Setting

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2003, 06:18 PM
MKC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I put NCT5s on the front of my MY99 in March as the rears were still ok. The two fronts had originally work down nice and evenly. After 5k the Near Side FRONT and REAR outer walls have worn badly, but the rest of the tread, back and front is OK.

I live in Milton Keynes and Screach around every roundabout.

The car does not pull to one side, vibrate or wobble at any speed. Even at 90 to 140 you can let go of the wheel and accelerate/de-celerate with no signs of a problem.

I have been told by various people that my camber may need checking. Does anyone know the answer to the following :

Is the wear experienced possibly down to roundabouts ?
(I have diagonal/vertical scuff marks about an inch across where the vertical wall meets the horizontal edge)

Would the camber suddenly need changing (back and front)
(remembering that 9 to 14 months ago the wear was normal)?

Can a Kwik Fit or street dealer check and modify the camber (4 wheel alignment) or do Subaru or others have some fancy kit to do it ?

Can anyone give a technical explanation of wear, camber, alignment, etc that woud make sense of this and any other type of wear or wobble ?

PS:Am getting two Goodyear F1 GS-DS03 205/50/16s from Formula One for £90.16 fully inclusive, if that's any use to anyone.