Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Tyre Noise

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2002, 02:49 PM
ScoobyDooMe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I have recently been experienceing what I can only describe as a "woodgy" (the noise that Rolph Harris makes with his wobble board) noise when driving along.

I went to a Subaru dealer (who will remain nameless) and a technician took it for a spin, came back and told me that I had a flat spot on my tyre or tyres through locking up the brakes.

I then proceeded to point out to him that my 2001 WRX has ABS which sort of undermined his theory.

However, as it was a tyre problem and not wishing to pusue this line of enquiry with someone who clearly does not know what they are talking about, I went to a specialsit tyre place/garage that was recomended to me.

And yes the front tyres are knackered due to uneven wear, not due to under or over inflation, but probably caused by tracking, suspension setup and possibly even a faulty tyre.

I am running Bridgestone Potenza's 215/45 R17 and this happened after about 8000 miles and I am definatly not in the madman driver catagory.

So the questions I have are:
1. Has anyone else had this problem.
2. Are these tyres a load of rubbish.
3. Am I right in thinking that the Eagle F1 GSD-3 are the right choice at 94,90 a pop excl fitting.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 17 December 2002, 12:27 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

It could be any number of things really, faulty tyre, unbalanced wheel, bent wheel, suspension out of alignment, faulty dampers, worn suspension bushes....... the list goes on! Whilst 8000 miles isn't that good, it's also not that bad! I'm lucky to get that much from the fronts on my Fiesta Having said that, yours may of been fine for the last 7500, have you hit any kerbs, potholes etc? Do you regulary check your tyres pressures, like at least once a month?

I've not had any myself but I believe Bridgestone to be good tyres... haven't used the others either, in fact I'm not sure why I replied
Old 17 December 2002, 08:00 AM
Daz WRX
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you need your geometry done if you havent already. I had this with the standard Bridgestone Potenza RE11 but after Geom and changing to Potenza S03 have had no problems.
Cheers
Daz.