Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

2pot 4pot 6pot etc....

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2002, 08:28 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
the "pot" is referring to the caliper piston, so most common subaru's have either '2-pot' sliding caliper or '4 pot' fixed caliper on the front.
the "sliding" caliper does exactly as suggested - two pistons at the rear of the disc exert pressure on the rear pad and in doing so "slide the front of the caliper casting against the outer pad hence clamping the disc from both sides (easily spotted by the large pad area visible with 2 'fingers' holding the outer pad in place)
'4 pot' fixed caliper has two sets of 2 opposing pistons (two at each side) and hence exerts a more equal force against the pads when operated - this is why in general the more pistons you have the greater clamping force you can exert (this doesn't take into account piston bore sizes, etc. and caliper design - a poorly designed/mis-sized 6pot can perform worse than a well designed 2pot!!!!!!)
any more specific advice please feel free to mail me
alyn - as performance

p.s. 4pot caliper is identified by "subaru" logo running across outer casting of caliper, normally visible thro' wheel..

whether you upgrade pads, pads & discs, calipers or fronts and rears really depends on the type of use (and driving style) you are putting the car to (and the vehicle in question....for non-scooby owners)

[Edited by stockcar - 12/5/2002 8:32:00 AM]
Old 12 May 2002, 09:49 AM
velohead66
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Main reason for the brake upgrade is for track day use.
Brake fad is not something I would like to experience too often.

Car is a WRX type R V-Ltd, so it should go well down the back straight. First rolling road is on Tues next week.

PS - Back straight goes straight into a hairpin !!

[Edited by velohead66 - 12/5/2002 9:51:24 AM]
Old 05 December 2002, 05:36 AM
velohead66
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Just a couple of questions..

1) Presumably pot is the same as piston. Tried looking for more info as to exactly what pot is and how a pot system works ??

2) Presumably most (not all) scoobys have 4pots at the front and 2pots at the back ??

3) How can you tell what pots you have on a car, can you tell just by looking ??

4) If you do a brake upgrade, is it
mildly advisable/strongly advisable to do front and back, and just the front.

Any info would be useful on this topic, including related threads.

Ta.
Old 05 December 2002, 10:53 AM
marc_ely
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they are for trackdays then you want something nice n meaty.

It might not be fade but the fluid boiling. The pedal will go to the floor and require pumping in between sessions. If its just fade the pedal will be restored when they cool down.

I had fluid boil on my standard Subaru 4pots with Pagid Blue pads on track. The calipers are made of steel/iron and the disks are quite small and thin. Couple this to the poor airflow to the disks, and the long-life fluid subaru servicing use and you don't have a very good recipe for keeping the brakes cool!

I have just fitted some TSL/HiSPec 6pots with 335 x 32mm disks.
I have had some problems (see other threads) but this is due to me, rather than the product itself which seems excellent as far as I can tell so far.

Before buying these I did a bit of research into the options and I have stuck them into a spreadsheet on my website:

http://www.impreza-p1.org.uk/brake_choices.xls

StopTech have some very interesting and thorough stuff on brakes on their website.

Hope this helps.

Marc
http://www.impreza-p1.org.uk
Old 06 December 2002, 11:51 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Well put it this way, ive a UK turbo that HAD the standard 4 pots on (now replaced with a Brembo 4 pot setup ) and there is a difference (abeit higher up the speedo's range )
The disc/pads on the standard setup are single piece/naff pad, you want a 2 piece setup for better cooling/braking (Godspeed do a 335mm conversion with the subaru 4 pot caliper) which would stop you better or go for a second hand kit (calipers etc) and upgrade from there.
Those subaru 4 pots as they are now (294mm) are not exactly the best to use on a track so id think about changing them soonest IMHO.

Tony