TSL/HiSpec - Leak Problem

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2002, 07:34 PM
marc_ely
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Been fitting my TSL/HiSpec 6pots today.

The job went very well right until I had to fill the system.

One of the new calipers is leaking fluid. Not from a bleeder nipple, or from the banjo bolt inlet, but from a hole in the caliper rear.

The hole is meant to be there! Its a tapped (10mm fine I think) hole about 6mm deep. The fluid is leaking from the hole one caliper, but not the other one so I think I must have a duff caliper :-(

The fitting is up on my site:

http://www.impreza-p1.org.uk/brake_choices.htm

The hole can be see at:

http://www.impreza-p1.org.uk/photos/brakes/leak.jpg

The car is now up on axle stands until I can talk to TSL Monday.

If anyone has any ideas on what the hole is for, how to fix it or has seen the problem etc then please shout!

Dissapointed :-(

Marc
http://www.impreza-p1.org.uk

Old 30 November 2002, 10:08 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Hmm let us know how u get on as I for one an tempted to buy this kit when the funds allow.

Wish I knew enough to fit the kit but even with ur instructions and pics I think I would struggle.

Heres some clickable links seeing as you did all the hard work:

Fitting TSL/HiSpec 6pot 335mm Kit

Leak/Hole on new Drivers Side Caliper

Simon.

P.S. Your brave leaving ur new kit on with the wheels off.
Old 01 December 2002, 12:26 AM
wrxrob
Scooby Regular

isnt that the hole where the bleed nipple normally fits?
Old 01 December 2002, 10:37 AM
marc_ely
Scooby Regular

Talking

WRXman - Top spotting!

You are totally right! The calipers came fitted with 4 bleed nipples, one of which is replaced by the existing banjo bolt. The "spare" nipple I removed goes into this damn hole!

Put these in and re-filled and no leaks!

Serious beers for you mate ;-)

Cheers,
Marc
Old 01 December 2002, 01:08 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Marc - glad to hear you got it sorted.

Only justed noticed ur in Ely/Cambs. Might see you around sometime. I drive a blue X reg DBM Turbo with Prodrive Gold 17" rims and a blitz backbox. Where did u pick up ur P1 from?

Simon.
Old 01 December 2002, 07:59 PM
marc_ely
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Well its not sorted just yet :-(

The "hole" was actually the one that the banjo bolt goes into, the 4 nipples stay as they were from the factory.

Did all that and bled the system through... brakes were awful and spongy. So had to bleed the whole system again. Brakes are now useable but still not perfect. I can't find any air bubbles coming out but they are still not perfect.
I will keep my eye out for fluid leaks.

I am quite annoyed that TSL sent absolutely no instructions at all. I am not a complete mechanical idiot but it has stumped me a couple of times and wasted a lot of time (and fluid).

My car came from Thurlow/Nunn/Standen in Downham Market. They have given excellent service so far.

Marc
Old 02 December 2002, 10:28 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Marc,

What's been TSL's response regarding these problems? Have they told you why there is no instructions with the kit? If they are using the Hi-Spec kit as the basis of their own, why weren't you supplied with any original Hi-Spec instructions?

Like you, I'd be pretty pi$$ed if I'd just spent £1300 to find they can't even supply proper instructions and support.

Stefan
Old 02 December 2002, 11:05 AM
wrxrob
Scooby Regular

mark-ely glad to help you might need to get the car on to a ramp and pressure bleed them through dealer should be able to do this for a sensable amount.

and totally agree with your comments about tsl i brought a sti5 spoiler off them a short while ago which arived in a excellent box with no damage but no fixing bolts or template or anything to be honest.

phoned them up and they said use the ones off the original spoiler so off i set to fit it only to notice when its off that its held on by studs built in to the spoiler so i had to spend the next hour trying to find some bolts to fit by which time it was dark and i had to wait another week for a day off.

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Old 02 December 2002, 12:59 PM
marc_ely
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Well I've been onto TSL about this (now that they are open).

They do usually supply a set of "sketchy" instructions but didn't with mine as they wanted to ship it quickly.
Speaking to their technician there are quite a few things that you need to know about fitting it, my psychic antenna was off at the weekend so I didn't get all of these.

To save any other poor buggr from having to bleed their brakes in the pouring rain here are some tips:

- Do not let air in at all. Use brakeline clamps on ALL pipes when you start. When assembling the system work from the caliper back through the pipe and make the connection to the fixed pipes quickly and last.

- Use the centre hole at the caliper back for the banjo. This is sourced from the OLD calipers.

- Use 2 copper washers on the banjo bolt.

- When bleeding make sure you bleed BOTH top nipples per caliper in an INNER-OUTER-INNER sequence.

Basically they said the kit is NOT really suitable for DIY - most are fitted by customers local garages.

Paul at TSL was very apologetic and wants to improve the instructions for DIY'ers, but until that's done I would avoid the kit unless you are using a garage or an experienced mechanic.

If this was a few quid I don't think I would mind - but £1400 is a lot of dosh really, especially as I now have to visit a garage to get them bled anyway.

I will be updating the website with comprehensive instructions to help other people that choose this route.

Marc
http:/www.impreza-p1.org.uk
Old 02 December 2002, 02:54 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

lol I'd make the 80 mile trip and get TSL to fit and make sure its done 100% right. But then again I know nothing about car mechanics
Old 02 December 2002, 07:53 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

I found mine very easy to fit. . . . . . . . I let TSL fit them
The only problem I had was with the tea boy, he was a bit slow in making a brew

Well worth the £1100 I paid for them inc fitting
(gave them my old calipers in part ex to bring cost down)

BOB

Old 04 December 2002, 09:00 AM
Trouser @ TSL
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi Marc

sorry about the lack of instructions there

We did try and ascertain during our phone conversation on saturday morning before you fitted them that you were happy with what was needed. Glenn spoke to you i believe and talked you through it. Dad asked if you wanted to wait for us to send you some instructions... but you assued us you didn't

As you found out.. we are always here to give unlimited technical advice.. and I understand that Lindsay was unable to do this at length for you as soon as we were open.

Thankyou for raising the point with the instructions.. All feedback is very helpful and we are in the process of writing something clear and simple with pics

We would always advise any brake kit to be fitted be a proffessional.

Cheers

Paul
TSL
Old 04 December 2002, 03:28 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Where you have fitted the banjo, there should be a bleed nipple.

Run the braided feed to the hole in the centre and put a nipple in where the braided line is currently attached.

If you put the nipple in the centre hole the air would sit above it and you would not get a firm peddle as it would never bleed out.

Really the caliper should be shipped fully assembled with all holes plugged, so that dirt and dust can't get in the caliper.
Old 04 December 2002, 05:15 PM
marc_ely
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks Pete - that's sorted now. WRXBOB came to the rescue with the observation at the w/e.

The brakes are now working ok. I have bled them a third time - including both caliper sides per side (if you see whay I mean), and the pedal is now quite firm. I can't say if they are any good or not yet because the pads/disks obviously need bedding in so I am taking it easy.

Paul/Trouser: Thanks for the extra fluid. If you want to see the sort of instructions a DIYer would like take a look at the StopTech fitting manual for the Impreza (see separate thread). It is very good.
If you don't think a DIYer can fit them then you should say so - I was NEVER offered any written manual instructions by TSL, and I will leave it at that.

For what it's worth I am not exactly a novice when it comes to car installations. I've built a kitcar, swapped engines (I was one of the first bike-engine installers in the UK), and done most bits of cars over the years. Sometimes you just need a helping shove in the right direction when you can't see the wood for the trees.

In terms of the basic fit of these things I'd still recommend them as they are very easy when you know how. Just make sure you download the StopTech manual first!!!

If I could be bothered I'd write a thorough set of installation instructions on the website. However that's really TSL's job, not mine.

Marc
Old 12 December 2002, 12:36 PM
Mr Emery
Scooby Regular

TSL fitted my01 wrx 6 pot for free and gave me part ex on old 4 pots ( same time as wrxbob)

great service as normal

steve