Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Safe to run with one "bent" alloy?

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2002, 10:29 AM
zax
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When getting winter tyres fitted last week I noticed that one of my rear wheels isn't exactly round any more. There's a distinct flat spot on the inside of the rim. Had noticed a slight vibration at certain speeds, but nothing serious, and figured wheels just needed balancing. Wheels are now balanced thanks to many little stick on weights on the dodgy one, but is it going to cause any further problems if I run with it like this? Tyre wear on the F1s I took off looked normal, but I've no idea how long it's been damaged.

Wheels are std. my00 alloys, and will be used as winter wheels until about next March, when they'll be swapped for a nice new set of summer wheels yet to be chosen Speeds will stay low until then, winter tyres are only good up to 190kph...

Oh, and a bonus question! Does it matter how tyres are stored? Four almost new F1s are currently in the garage on their sides in a stack...
Old 30 October 2002, 01:49 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation

In my experience a wheel wobble on the front can cause breaking problems, tyre wear and in extreme cases, kill steering racks. On the rear it's not so noticeable but depending upon severity it could harm the shocks and bearings/bushes.

Get it fixed, it'll be cheaper in the long run.

F