Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Prodrive 330mm upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2002, 05:15 PM
BigMikeyBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys,
I need some help and advice regarding above subject!
My original Subaru disks are heavily worn down and will need replacing very soon and i have been thinking about purchasing the Prodrive upgrade as i own an RB5 WRSport and it would be nice to keep the Prodrive theme going!
I would like to hear what peoples opinions are of the brakes as this could sway my mind as what to go for!

Regards

Mikey
Old 20 October 2002, 05:47 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I think these come with a one piece disk a 2 part disk and bell would be better
How much were you looking to spend?
Old 20 October 2002, 05:54 PM
BigMikeyBoy
Scooby Regular

Dyney,
Dont really know mate, i guess up to a couple of grand would be what i would have to pay to make it stop quicker!!

Mikey
Old 20 October 2002, 06:00 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The Alcons are very good brakes. Problem with them is, as said above, the one piece disc and bell. Very expensive to replace and do have a tendancy to warp when used hard (track days etc). There are folks that do a replacement disc and bell setup (Godspeed spring to mind) though.

I have the Alcons on my P1 and I would recommend them. A lot of folk on here would point out that for the only very slightly more cash you can get AP 6 pots which one might term "mega anchors"
I got the Alcons because they're shiny and say Prodrive on them.
Old 20 October 2002, 06:57 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Short answer is the best brakes have the best discs and for Scoobs these are made by AP Racing, not Prodrive/Alcon. Why Prodrive don't fit two-piece discs is a bit of a mystery to me. And six-pot APs are awesome - mine trigger the ABS at 125mph (at Donington)

Having said that, unless you do track days, you are unlikely to knacker the Alcons on the road and if you like the Prodrive theme, away you go.

Cheers,

Richard.
Old 20 October 2002, 07:18 PM
BigMikeyBoy
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, some informative views so far!
Anymore views out there?

Mikey
Old 20 October 2002, 07:37 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Do you want the long answer, then

It depends on what sort of driving you do, and how much you want to lash out. If you just want good road anchors, probably Godspeed would be a good place to start. Competitive prices for custom-made bits, or he'll (Ian Godney) sell you the Full Monty AP kit. Or something inbetween. And any colour you like!

Maybe you just want upgraded discs and pads. In which case Pagid (ScoobySport), Prodrive 16in wheel discs, or Godspeed, or quite a few others.

But for £2k... well, AP's six-pot kit can't be beaten although ScoobySport's new KAD kits look good (using AP discs). AP's have good resale value too, because of their pedigree.

And if you think it is remotely possible you'll do a track day then go for the best. Don't think ordinary road brakes will be okay for the odd track day, if you take it easy. They won't because a) you won't take it easy and b) you will do terminal damage in just a few laps.

Good luck.

Richard.

PS Edited to add that there's quite a lot of useful info on the scobysport.co.uk site

[Edited by Hoppy - 10/20/2002 7:42:12 PM]
Old 20 October 2002, 07:41 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Talking

How much are Alcons?

AP4 are about £1500 and 6's are £1800

If I had the cash I'd go for the AP 6's but if you really want to keep the Prodrive theme the Alcons aren't bad brakes
It might be worth finding out the prices for new disks and pads for each kit? (Might influence you more)
Old 20 October 2002, 08:15 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Mikey,

I've had the Alcons for around 2 years now. On a wagon and now on the P1 for 15months. Yes, I too have had the ABS trigger at over 120 mph with them These are awesome brakes you won't regret. I paid £1200 fitted from the dealer. When new discs are due(can't see any wear yet), i'll probabaly go the seperate Bell/Disc route.

Personally, the AP kit doesn't look anywhere near as good on the car.

Cheers

Steve.
Old 20 October 2002, 09:05 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Right, I'll add my tupence worth seeing as I've been humming and hawing with the same idea lately for my RB5. The deal I was offered was £1200+VAT for the Prodrive/Alcons with a further £150 discount for my OEM 4-pots. This was from AF Nobles in Edinburgh.

They also kindly informed me that the Alcons don't fit under the RB5 Speedlines and that I'd need a new set of wheels As you can imangine, I politely told them where to stick their new wheels.

They are great kits from what I've heard, but the big downside is the one disc/bell combo. I think we're talking £500 if you need to replace 'em.

Yes, they are shiney and the do say Prodrive on the calipers, so if that rocks your boat then there's really no bother trying to convincing you otherwise. Simon you're a big tart

For the same money you could have a set of 4-pot AP's, which IMHO are a much better kit and they are cheaper to replace.

ChristianR was enquiring about a group buy on the 6-pot AP's, but I've no heard a Scooby from him in ages He mentioned getting them from Scoobymania for £1500

The only other consideration is their re-sale value. Would you sell them seperatley or leave them on the car? Would any RB5 be more desirable (read worth more) if you had Prodrive brakes instead of AP's? probably.

Stefan
Old 20 October 2002, 09:12 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I thought that if your car had 4 pots and you had 17's, then the Alcons would fit under ? Might be worth checking.

Steve.
Old 20 October 2002, 10:18 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would just like to add my bit here.

I too had an RB5 and I was I wasn't sure which kit I should get, but I in the end went for a set of Prodrive Alcons.
The Alcons DO fit under the RB5 Speedlines BTW!!!!
The kit was simply awesome and if anyone tells you there no where as good as this or that then I think there being harsh, there may bit a slight performance difference each way but only marginal.
I did have one set of discs changed under warranty I may add but that was only due to Subaru supplying the wrong pads. After that I had no problems in 12,000 miles since replacement and that included several trackdays round Knockhill which is not kind on brakes.

I would like to add I know of one chap who now is on his 5th set of 330mm AP discs after they keep warping, and another who prefered my Alcons over his AP 4 pots.

IMHO all the high end kits are as brilliant as each other it's just personal choice at the end of the day. If you can jump in a few different cars with different brakes and make your own mind up.

Cheers,

Rob.

[Edited by Rob D - 10/20/2002 10:22:19 PM]
Old 21 October 2002, 12:11 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

If the Prodrive/Alcons can handle Knockhill regularly, then that's a fair compliment! That place is tough on brakes, but not like Donington which is a real brake killer (and favourite track for Scoobs and the SIDC). The problem is the straights are too short to let the brakes cool.

My favourite track is Bedford Autodrome because a) it's hard to hit something if you come off, b) it's anti-clockwise so reduces the likelyhood of fuel surge problems on right-handers (Dono's Melbourne hairpin creates fuel surge with anything less than half a tank of fuel), and c) althought it is hard on brakes, the straights are plenty long for them to recover.

Cheers,

Richard.
Old 21 October 2002, 12:35 AM
BigMikeyBoy
Scooby Regular

Hi folks,
Well, some even more informative views, now you have got me thinking even more!!!

Cheers

Mikey
Old 21 October 2002, 09:24 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've got the Alcon/Prodrive set up on my motor. No regrets, they're superb and as you say look the dogs
Old 21 October 2002, 01:46 PM
Fat Blerk
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

My opinion, for what it's worth.......

I have an RB5 and have had the Prodrive brake upgrade fitted.... Unfortunately I was one of the first to do so, and the discs lasted less than 3000 miles 'cos the pads fitted were too hard.... they also destroyed my front wheels with the hot brake dust, which Subaru wouldn't replace (they DO fit behind the speedlines on an RB5)

The performance is great, but I must admit, given the choice again I'd go for a third party setup - the inital cost and the cost of replacement parts seems artificially high (as with everything that has Prodrive stencilled on it) I'm currently cringing as I see my discs are wearing out.... With the warranty up, there's no real reason to stick with prodrive gear, and any BIG caliper looks good on the car. You have to be VERY close and the caliper has to be VERY clean to tell what it is........ it also concerns me that they have a reputation for warping under heavy use.... surely that's exactly why you upgrade to a big brake system??

Just a thought.

Old 21 October 2002, 03:45 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Plug mode on..

BigMikeyBoy

Tons of brake kits for sale in the new scoobyshop.

Plug mode off..
Old 22 October 2002, 06:57 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Don't forget that the nice Mr Godspeed will do you a replacement disc and bell setip for the Alcons. £400 odd but subsequent discs are about £120 (?) each. They're what I'll be getting when mine wear out

PS. ozzy - yes I know Pathetic isn't it?
Old 26 October 2002, 12:22 PM
The TunnelMeister
Scooby Regular

Mickey,
Re: the replacement cost of the 330mm one-piece Alcon disc's, price confirmed at £658.00. Dealer only.

TTM