Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Changing 2 pots to 4 pots or Bleeding? THEN READ THIS!

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2002, 04:20 PM
SHAGGYDOG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

2 things that I've learnt today, that at least 2 Subaru dealerships didn't!!

2 POTS TO 4 POTS UPGRADE - which caliper on which wheel?

When changing 2 pots for 4 pots make sure the 4 pot calipers are on the right way round (left and right)!

To get it wrong is an easy mistake as you may be misled by the way the old 2 pots are fitted - to make sure it's correct the bleed nipple MUST be on the top wheras with 2 pots the bleed nipple is on the bottom so totally opposite to what it shoudl be!

My local garage not knowing this almost cost me a new master brake cylinder and it was only be speaking to CENTRAL SUBARU trying to source a part that they clarified what is right - many thanks for your help Andy!

BLEEDING
Unlike other cars where you always bleed from furthest away this is absolutley not the case with the Impreza. Order of bleed is;

Front Near Side 1st
Rear Offside 2nd
Front Offside 3rd
Rear Near Side 4th

Again many thanks Andy! Central Subaru can be contacted on 01902 636286 (I have no connection with them but they were very helpful so they fully deserve a plug)!

Of note, before the garage replaced my 2 pots with 4 pots I had a very spongy pedal which is likely due to the way the brakes have been bled in the past. I also had occasional bad vibration when hot which I now reckon was air in the system.

Now with the system bled (3 times due to the garage trying to get a good pedal before they were told of the caliper swop round) and the new 4 pots the braking is brilliant, great feel, no fade - not that I try to use the brakes much anyway...

So if you have similar symptoms, why not try bleeding the brakes in the above order and your braking is likely to improve!

Let me know if it works for you!
Old 09 October 2002, 08:32 PM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

Question

my new brakes still arent right either, so will make sure they follow this procedure! although my local subaru garage said furthest from too !
any clues as to why it's diagonals?
are the brakes plumbed diagonally?

Steve
Old 09 October 2002, 08:38 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

I did the 'calipers the wrong way round thing'... luckily i didnt drive it like it, i did sit there with the engine running though, and noticed that the pedal went to the floor...oopps

I still have a spongey pedal though, so i might try your little trick...!!

Thanks

Dan
Old 09 October 2002, 08:45 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
2 pot nipple is on the bottom?????????????
this may explain your ongoing problem, I have never come across any vehicle that has this arrangement.
quite simply the air rises to the top of the caliper when bleeding hence the position of the bleed nipple.
std 2 pot caliper/disc set up is not as bad as people make out - disc/pad spec has most bearing!!
Old 09 October 2002, 09:38 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I don't remember the 2 pot bleed nipple being on the bottom of the caliper either. Seems daft to me...

Interesting about the bleeding order. No one has ever brought that peculiarity to my attention. Will have to try it when I put on the braded hoses.
Old 09 October 2002, 10:05 PM
SHAGGYDOG
Scooby Regular

Smile

Maybe the nipple is normally on the top of 2 pots but it wasnt on mine - they had been painted so maybe removed and put back on the wrong way round ?!

All I know is that following the above corrective procedure per Central Subaru worked for me ...

Yikes, all this talk of nipples, I'm off to bed, he he

Old 10 November 2002, 12:59 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

no brakes i know of have the bleed nipple on the bottom ! and it just seems logical to me that as air rises the bleed nipples need to be on the top. i would change my garage if i was you as they dont seem to know what they are doing.
when i bleed a system i start from the n/s/r go to n/s/f then o/s/f then o/s/r just preference i spose as most people seem to have their own way of bleeding systems.

[Edited by scoobyboy - 10/11/2002 1:02:43 AM]