Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Guide to changing brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2002, 07:48 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Had one of my front pads out the other day to see what the material was - doddle to do... (just take note of how it looks as you take it apart - it should look like that when you're putting it back together

loosen wheel nuts with wheel on ground (don't remove nuts)

jack up car and support with axle stand (if you can find anywhere structural to put one - I couldn't )

remove wheel nuts and wheel

there's a wire spring on rear of caliper that clips into centre and acts as locking pin for two cross-shafts - remove this gently with a set of snipe-nosed pliers or screwdriver (try not to bend it)

tap through the two cross-shafts and watch out for metal spring plate jumping up. might need to drift through the pins with something if stuck but be careful as they seemed to be alloy.

pads should now lift out (might need to work pad / disc to and fro a bit to free them up)

assembly is reverse of above (make sure you get the friction material side to the disc when you put the new ones in - don't laugh, I've seen the results and that was a truck manufacturer's assembly line )
Old 14 September 2002, 08:40 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'm putting some new pads in mine tomorrow. I'll take some pics as I do it and post them here for a pictorial guide

Steve
Old 15 September 2002, 03:32 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

A couple of points which may not be obvious from the above:-

To fit the new pads you will have to force the pistons back (because obviously the new pad material is thicker!). To help with this you will need to take the cap off the brake fluid reseviour under the bonnet. Then push back each of the pistons (should be possible to do this by hand) and watch that the reseviour doesn't overflow!! Make sure you refit the cap afterwards.

Also, apply an amount of copper grease to the shims (making sure none of it touches the friction side of the pads!!). This will help stop the new pads squeeling.

Finally, the brake pressure will need pumping up once the new pads have been fitted. Press the brake peddal a couple of times until you feel resistance again before trying to move the car anywhere!!
Old 09 October 2002, 05:21 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Question

Is it difficult to change front pads on a MY01? I need to change mine and would like to have a go myself. Can anyone provide step by step instructions?

Si.

Just done a search and found plenty of info most seems to be for the Classic, are the MY01s any different?

[Edited by sillysi - 9/10/2002 5:27:20 PM]