Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Best tyres for the front??

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2002, 07:47 PM
Langy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the best tyres for the front of an impreza, need to get two new ones pronto (205/55/16)?
Old 25 July 2002, 11:40 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

The same as the ones on the back!

It's not recommended to mix tyre makes (some say even significantly diferent tread depths) on 4x4 cars. The centre difs don't like it and it's not a good thing for the handling either.

Toyos and Goodyear F1s get good write ups on here - have a look
through the threads for some debate on that.

Hope that's helpful.

Scoobyster
Old 26 July 2002, 01:31 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

The centre diff isn't a diff, it's a viscous coupling. Totally different thing. It is designed to take up differences in axle speeds front to back and is exactly what stops axle wind up due to different tyre diameter/rotation.

And the thing about running different tread depths is a total myth too - do you really think Subaru would sell a car that could not cope with this?

[Edited by Dave T-S - 7/26/2002 1:37:46 PM]
Old 27 July 2002, 04:06 PM
BLACK CIRCLES
Scooby Newbie

I agree.

The most important thing to bare in mind is whatever you buy for the front you should really be putting on the back when the time is right. The Toyo is v good and a good price too.

cheers.
Old 29 July 2002, 05:40 PM
sempers
Scooby Regular

Argh. Centre Diff IS a diff. With a vc device to provide LSD function. There really is a diff in there.

The whole point of a diff is to take up different rotational speeds.

Running it at constant slip will bugger the vc. That said, I'd not worry about tread depths. I would worry about different size tires tho.

[Edited by sempers - 7/29/2002 5:41:14 PM]
Old 29 July 2002, 08:16 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

sempers
Sorry, you are wrong. A viscous coupling is designed to be in a constant grip/no grip situation. It's exactly why there is one in the centre of the Impreza drivetrain as it acts in a way a conventionial diff can't.

A viscous coupling comprises a number of round discs with holes in which rotate very close to other in a sealed housing. One or more are connected to the input side and ditto the output side. The housing contains a viscous silicone fluid that acts as a fluid when the plates are all moving at a constant speed, but when they rotate at different speeds the properties of the viscous fluid alter, thicken, and it grips the plates together and provides drive.

Every time you drive off in an Impreza, the input shaft of the viscous drive is moving at a faster speed than the output shaft, it locks up, and then provides drive to the rear wheels.

A convential differential allows two wheels on the same axle to move at different speeds. A viscous coupling can be either engaged or free, or with varying degrees of grip in between depending on the different speeds of the input and output shafts.

A VC and conventional diff are not the same, and there is only a VC in the centre of an Impreza, not a mechanical gear type diff as well

However, don't take my word for it, have a read here (and I didn't crib my post from here)

http://www.howstuffworks.com/differential7.htm

[Edited by Dave T-S - 7/29/2002 8:27:48 PM]