Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Got them brakes yet Knowlesy

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2002, 10:45 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I thought today was the the day did you sleep last night?

Scott
Speak to you on Sunday when i get the C02

btw, are you up for supers at Brands next week?
Old 22 July 2002, 10:08 PM
Joseph
Scooby Regular

Talking

He gets them fitted on Friday.
As for thr CO2 I beleive it not worth it as the cooling works off vapour lifting the heat with it and therefor doesn't have to be that cold.

A lot of money for very little Scott.
J.
Old 26 July 2002, 06:24 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Scotty

Do you mean these?

To say they fill an 18" wheel is an understatement. And it feels like the car can do stoppies
Old 26 July 2002, 06:32 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Tart
Old 26 July 2002, 06:33 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Pete, he needs bigger wheels now the brakes make em look small wind him up for me

Scott
Old 26 July 2002, 06:36 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Joe we shall see when i make my comprehensive tests when we finally finish it btw I'm running nitrous in it cos its colder -170degrees

Scott
Old 26 July 2002, 08:35 PM
Joseph
Scooby Regular

Scotty
I dont think you intercooler will like going to -170 and back to +100.
Not being technical I don't think it was made for that abuse.

I would be interested in finding out what you can achieve with it though.
J.
Old 26 July 2002, 10:14 PM
ScoobyK
Scooby Regular

Pete, WOW !! What kit is that, and I presume available thro SS ?
Old 27 July 2002, 08:18 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

ScoobyK

Its our big KAD kit. 372mm AP discs and KAD's 6 pot callipers.

Very progressive braking, but its like having an accident when you really stand on them
Old 27 July 2002, 01:48 PM
ScoobyK
Scooby Regular

Thanks Pete....a lot of money, but a lot of stopping power with it !
Old 27 July 2002, 08:00 PM
KNOWLESY 3
Scooby Newbie

These brakes are phenomenal on braking power!! Wll have to get some figures logged for them, though they are magnificent.

Old 29 July 2002, 02:37 PM
elgordano
Scooby Regular

Forget about the brakes.....I love those wheels.

Gordo
Old 29 July 2002, 03:33 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Why dont you get the AP 8 pot LC kit with 378mm 2 piece discs and light wheels instead of machining down the caliper and anodising stuff and messing around with the brakes and inadequate calipers, havy wheels and bad tyres??
Old 30 July 2002, 01:01 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Claudius,

Looking at the AP catalogue at www.apracing.com you will find a road and a motorsport section. In the road section, the largest caliper you will find is a six pot to fit 362mm discs, so they cannot be used with these discs. If you look at the motorsport section, you will find Group A Tarmac Rally front calipers which are an 8 pot four pad water cooled design that will take the 378mm discs, but they are not road legal. Motorsport calipers do not have dust seals on the pistons. This is not a problem where a competitions vehicle is serviced thoroughly after each event but on the road the pistons can and do jam due to dust ingress. That being the case, the largest disc / caliper combination you can get from AP *for road use* is based on a 362mm disc, which is obviously smaller than the Scoobysport kit.

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 30 July 2002, 02:14 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Gordo

The wheel is a Tecnomagnesio Sao Paulo made for us in ET48. I love them too.

Old 30 July 2002, 03:24 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Claudius

Machining down calipers? (They are purpose made)
Heavy wheels? (Same weight as an 18" OZ)
Bad tyres? (Michelin Pilot Sport Cups - road legal slicks, mandatory in the Porsche Cup series)

Looks like that Meditteranean heat is getting to you mate.
Old 30 July 2002, 06:21 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Pete

sorry, I read somewhere in the thread that you had calipers machined down?? (in the other thread)

I wasnt aware the Michelins were the cup ones, sorry.

But the wheels are still heavy!
Old 30 July 2002, 06:28 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Looking at the AP catalogue at www.apracing.com you will find a road and a motorsport section. In the road section, the largest caliper you will find is a six pot to fit 362mm discs
I wasnt aware I mentioned looking into the road section of the AP Racing site?? or did you just come up with that? What would you expect to find there?? I looked there a while ago and I have to admit I found the products they had there rather inadapted to a car weighing over a ton...

If you look at the motorsport section, you will find Group A Tarmac Rally front calipers which are an 8 pot four pad water cooled design that will take the 378mm discs, but they are not road legal.
well I personally dont care about that. My exhaust isnt road legal either. Neither are my tyres (although I will now change to A032Rs). If that's a concern to you, you wont be able to go as fast as you could (which is my personal goal of having a performance car, I thought it would be yours too, again, please excuse my misunderstanding you).

Motorsport calipers do not have dust seals on the pistons.
Oh My God! I might need to clean the brakes and oil the pistons! What a lot of work (half an hour every two weeks?)

[Edited by Claudius - 7/30/2002 6:31:31 PM]
Old 30 July 2002, 09:26 PM
KNOWLESY 3
Scooby Newbie

Claudius .

The whole point of showing people that there is a 372 kit available rgardless of unsprung weight, is if they want to they can upgrade.

As many people have pointed out there are bigger brakes & whilst it may take me a year to save for the Ferrari F60 or Enzo with 380's in carbon all the way round.

The 372's are superb......and yes I'd even consider an 8 pot kit, though this will be some time off for an Impreza. And yes I'm looking to upgrade to a 330 4 pot rear kit.

But your comment re heavy, tyres and inadequate calipers are unfounded & an open invite to come & test them for yourself is on offer,

Of course I'd love to try your set up that you recommend - just don't know anyone that has the on the Impreza though?

Keep drinking the water, applying the suntan lotion & best of all keep out of that hot Mediteranean sun, cos it certainly goes to your head..

[Edited by KNOWLESY 3 - 7/30/2002 9:42:51 PM]
Old 31 July 2002, 12:32 PM
uxg
Scooby Regular

I was up at Scoobysport about a week or so ago and had a chance to see and experience first hand these brakes and I have to say firstly that the breaks look awesome, even more so in the flesh. I also got taken out for a quick spin to experience them first hand and it felt like we had hit a wall every time they were used...fantastic stopping power. Made me realise I need to change my brakes sharpish.

Unfortunately I only have the standard 16" alloys on my Type R so these wouldn't fit and I can't afford to change both alloys and breaks at the moment as I am skint due to having to replace a blown turbo last week.

Can anyone recommend a decent(but not too dear please) brake upgrade which will fit a STI IV Type R with 16's. Not exactly sure what setup the Typre R has as standard but I presume I wouldn't be able to get away with just changing the pads. Some prices would me most useful.

P.S. Still think my Type R is quicker than the Scoobysport dream machine though :-)
Old 31 July 2002, 01:29 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Claudius said

I might need to clean the brakes and oil the pistons
****. Try oiling the pistons, and see what happens
Old 31 July 2002, 01:40 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

uxg

There is a KAD kit that will fit under your 16" wheels and it uses the same 6 pot technology, just a slightly different caliper shape to suit the smaller disc radius.

Old 31 July 2002, 02:14 PM
uxg
Scooby Regular

I assume then that the Type R comes with 4 pots as standard? (I don't know anything about brakes). These look very tasty. How much?
Old 31 July 2002, 03:29 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Claudius .

The whole point of showing people that there is a 372 kit available rgardless of unsprung weight, is if they want to they can upgrade.
Err, ok!

As many people have pointed out there are bigger brakes & whilst it may take me a year to save for the Ferrari F60 or Enzo with 380's in carbon all the way round.
Sounds like you didnt finish your sentence?
You can buy Porsche GT2 ceramic brakes from Porsche or Movit, you dont need to buy a Ferrari that isnt even out yet or a Porsche GT2!

The 372's are superb......and yes I'd even consider an 8 pot kit, though this will be some time off for an Impreza. And yes I'm looking to upgrade to a 330 4 pot rear kit.
I am genuinely happy for you that you like your new brake set up. And it's good to hear that you will increase the braking on the rear to achieve better brake balance. There's a thread on here about that btw.

But your comment re heavy, tyres and inadequate calipers are unfounded & an open invite to come & test them for yourself is on offer
I already apologised for the confusion! I must have misread it on another thread, I promise I read something about machined down calipers; maybe a friend of yours making fun? I dont know. Again, sorry!

Thank you for your kind offer to try your brakes. I would be interested to see how they perform. Are you going to the Nürburgring in September? I will most probably go

Of course I'd love to try your set up that you recommend - just don't know anyone that has the on the Impreza though?
Me neither, just know a French guy who's got them on an Evo

Keep drinking the water, applying the suntan lotion & best of all keep out of that hot Mediteranean sun, cos it certainly goes to your head..
What makes you think that I drink water?
Old 31 July 2002, 03:33 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Thanks. I love you, too

Try oiling the pistons, and see what happens
Not pick on my vocabulary please, me foreigner sir!
Old 31 July 2002, 04:17 PM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

Nice brakes Pete!

Have you got a price for them?

My My01 needs some new brakes

Ali

[Edited by AliWrx - 7/31/2002 4:18:24 PM]
Old 31 July 2002, 04:52 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

LOL at Claudius, we'll have to meet up at Monte in Jan and share a couple of beers I'll probably have little rental car with substantially smaller brakes though, so be warned

Ali

see http://www.scoobysport.co.uk/brakes.htm for prices

It says 378mm on the web site, but that extra 3mm each side was juuuuuuusssstt too much
Old 31 July 2002, 04:55 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

So you come all the way to MC but wont go to the ring?? The beer in Germany is better than here! (but we can drink wine, too )
Old 31 July 2002, 05:12 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

A mate finished his session with a 6 week coma, a couple of years ago. I'm not scared of much, but I am scared of the Ring.
Old 31 July 2002, 06:19 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

A mate finished his session with a 6 week coma, a couple of years ago. I'm not scared of much, but I am scared of the Ring.
I'm truly sorry to hear about those awful consequences of going to the ring that your friend experienced. Is he ok nowadays?

I have a few friends who drive on there regularly, and also a friend of mine from France (who is a rally champion) recommended it to me. That's why I'd like to go.

I have been warned about changing grip and blind corners; the bottom line has always been to take it easy the first few days. And I will follow that advice, planning on going there for a week to have time to get an idea of what it's like.

I'm not scared of anything but cancer and German women I'll take it easy and will gradually increase my speed. But then I'm also worried, once I know where I'm going, that there might be someone just having spinned in the middle of the track after a hill when I arrive at high speed... I guess the risk is there and that's where you get the thrill from.

Porsches totalled and two dead bikers a weekend, it surely isnt the safest place on Earth, but thzen again not the least fun either, I guess. I'll give it a shot anyway.

Why dont you come anyway and show the Porsches what big brakes look like and have a few beers, even if you drive slowly or not at all??

I'll definitely be at the Monte as well, it's right here where I live

Quick Reply: Got them brakes yet Knowlesy