Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Copper grease & brake squeeeeel

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2002, 11:29 AM
nib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

After trying to put up with the annoying brake squeel, with the hope of it fading I can not put up with it any more. So I finally went out & got hold of a spray can of copper grease, however, I am not quite sure where I should be applying it. The can tells me to aplly to the 'back of the pad'.

I must be being really thick but can someone tell me which part is considered the 'back'??? Is it the surface which comes into contact with the disc & if it is do I have to disassemble the caliper to apply??

Thxs
NIB.
Old 28 June 2002, 11:45 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I would say the "back" is the part of the pad which the pistons push on, the front being the friction material that contacts the disc........
Old 28 June 2002, 12:08 PM
nib
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

SJ - I must admit I'm none the wiser!

I presume on the pic below it requires the removing of the two screws pictured & applying to this area?!?

Old 28 June 2002, 12:14 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

I applied my copper spray to the 'back' of the pad (not the side touching the disk) and put some on the shims. Since fitting it has been fine and I have done two track days.

I'm no technical expert but if you put the copper spray on the pad touching the disk then you will significantly reduce your braking capability.

Damian.
Old 28 June 2002, 12:50 PM
nib
Scooby Regular

Question

Spen - How do I get to the back & what are shims??
Old 28 June 2002, 01:00 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Nib,

From looking at your picture those calipers look like the rear ones. I think to get the pad out you will need to undo the caliper bolt holding the caliper to the strut.

The shim is a small piece of metal which sits between the pad and caliper. I have only done my fronts so far so don't know if the rears have these shims. The shims are to stop the squealing. You will see these as a matter of course in taking the pads out.

Damian.
Old 28 June 2002, 02:00 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Warning! If you really dont know which side of the pad is the back then you probably arent the right person to be applying grease to key parts of your braking system!!!

Ok, if you insist then (on 4 pots) you will need to:
- jack up the car
- remove the wheel
- take the spring clip off (beware it doesnt spring off and you lose it!) and withdraw the caliper pins.
- push the pads back a little (waterpump pliers are good for this)
- pull each pad out one by one, apply copper grease to the piston side of the pad and not the disk side - that would be madness...
- replace the pad the way it came out.
- do other pad
- reassembly is reverse of removal

Personally I use a pot of copper grease as I wouldnt trust the spray version not to end up on the wrong side of the pad. you may be better to spray the grease onto some paper and then use a screwdriver or an old tableknife to transfer the grease to the back of the pad - spread it like butter on yer toast. The disk and the front side of the pad need to be dirt, grit and grease free at all times.

To be honest, I really think you should get it done professionally though from what youve said, brakes are the most important bit of your car and you dont want to mess them up.

Jon.
Old 28 June 2002, 04:53 PM
nib
Scooby Regular

Thxs for the replies guys.
Jon - I think I'll take your advice & get someone else to do it for me!

Cheers
NIB.