Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

6 pot brakes locking up

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2022, 10:50 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts
Default 6 pot brakes locking up

So bought some 6 pot brake setup, but when braking hard seem to feel like there locking up abit. Could they just need bedding in?

They are a used set, but pads have loads of life in them.

Been on the car for about 50 miles so far.

Last edited by jaygsi; 23 October 2022 at 08:38 PM.
Old 22 October 2022, 10:58 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

What car ABS or not?
Old 23 October 2022, 09:05 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
So bought some 6 pot brake setup, but when breaking hard seem to feel like there locking up abit. Could they just need bedding in?

They are a used set, but pads have loads of life in them.

Been on the car for about 50 miles so far.
breaking🤣
and You complained to me about word fender
back to topic use clutch when braking it should help if You have abs otherwise thats normal without

Last edited by JdmSti2006; 23 October 2022 at 09:08 AM.
Old 23 October 2022, 08:38 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Yes has ABS, which is confusing. Rear brakes are standard 1 pot but will soon be 2 pot.

Originally Posted by 1509joe
What car ABS or not?
Old 23 October 2022, 08:43 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

It's my phones fault, keeps changing spelling.

But it shouldn't be happening.

Want to try workout why.

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006
breaking🤣
and You complained to me about word fender
back to topic use clutch when braking it should help if You have abs otherwise thats normal without
Old 23 October 2022, 10:03 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Is it the old three channel ABS or 4 channel (MY99ish onwards I think).

The old three channels can really get into a spaz if things aren't matched up right. For example m, If fronts haven't bedded in, it's possible a rear brake can lock, which results in lots of ABS pulsing and very little reduction in speed.

Personally I'd pull the fuse, see how it goes (with care) and work from there. Could be lots of things, but if there is a front/rear or left/right balance issue (air etc.). Then taking the ABS system out of the equation should help expose any underlying issue.

Last edited by ALi-B; 23 October 2022 at 10:07 PM.
Old 23 October 2022, 10:43 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

The old three channels can really get into a spaz if things aren't matched up right. For example m, If fronts haven't bedded in, it's possible a rear brake can lock, which results in lots of ABS pulsing and very little reduction in speed.

Personally I'd pull the fuse, see how it goes (with care) and work from there. Could be lots of things, but if there is a front/rear or left/right balance issue (air etc.). Then taking the ABS system out of the equation should help expose any underlying issue.
Classic ABS was downright dangerous. MOT time fuse in once passed back out again
Old 23 October 2022, 10:45 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Still no car but as ALi-B says it is and was a disaster.
Old 24 October 2022, 12:00 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

It's a 1998 model. Guessing the 4 channel is better?

Cheers for advice, yea it feels like its the rear brake's are locking up abit. Nothing massive just twitch, but still doesn't inspire confidence. Braking seems to work ok.

Old 24 October 2022, 01:01 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

far too much front effort in comparison to the baby rears is causing the car to pitch its weight onto the nose and lift the rear wheel causing lack of traction and ultimately locking........
Old 24 October 2022, 07:50 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Do you think that will stop once I fit my 2 pots? Got them ready to go on next. Standard 2 pot newage calipers.

Originally Posted by stockcar
far too much front effort in comparison to the baby rears is causing the car to pitch its weight onto the nose and lift the rear wheel causing lack of traction and ultimately locking........
Old 24 October 2022, 09:42 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by 1509joe
Classic ABS was downright dangerous. MOT time fuse in once passed back out again

Yep sounds like the issue I was having, 6 pots on the front, one pot on the back. Classic ABS is terrible for the most part. I remember just hitting a pot hole or bump in the road with the brakes lightly pressed and it would have an issue. Could also be pads and discs not playing ball with each other. Mine did that when cold.
Old 26 October 2022, 01:15 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Really, I've never had any issues with my abs using 4 pots on the front and 1 pots on the rear.

Hope I don't have to go back to 4 pots. If I do I will have to pay out for some decent pads.

Will try upgrading the rear brakes to 2 pots and hope that resolves the issue.

Of not will go back to 4 pots. Thanks for the helpful info.

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
Yep sounds like the issue I was having, 6 pots on the front, one pot on the back. Classic ABS is terrible for the most part. I remember just hitting a pot hole or bump in the road with the brakes lightly pressed and it would have an issue. Could also be pads and discs not playing ball with each other. Mine did that when cold.
Old 26 October 2022, 11:25 AM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

i agree with this

Although id image this would be under heavier braking only?

My car had 8pot k sports on the front and single rears for a while.... but was on coilovers, this didnt let it pitch as much so no braking issues even with ABS.

What pads are in the 6 pots?
Old 26 October 2022, 12:14 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

i agree with this

My car had 8pot k sports on the front and single rears for a while.... but was on coilovers, this didnt let it pitch as much so no braking issues even with ABS.

Old 27 October 2022, 02:45 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Yes under heavy braking.

I bought a full set of nearly new D2 calipers, 6 pot fronts and 4 pot rears, but after found they wouldn't fit under my 17" alloys, and didn't want to change to 18".

Heard people having issues with 18" app alloys on the classic models.

So bought some used K sports brakes, that had been fitted to a track car. They looked smaller and fitted under to the 17" alloys.

I could be wrong but think there just K sports own pads.

Originally Posted by DDS789
i agree with this

Old 28 October 2022, 09:45 AM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Yes under heavy braking.

I bought a full set of nearly new D2 calipers, 6 pot fronts and 4 pot rears, but after found they wouldn't fit under my 17" alloys, and didn't want to change to 18".

So bought some used K sports brakes, that had been fitted to a track car. They looked smaller and fitted under to the 17" alloys.

Could be a pad imbalance ie fronts need to warm up more, so a bit dull on initial braking, then, if you have normal initially "grabby" road pads at the back, youll apply more pressure on the pedal and rears will lock

Double check your ABS light illuminates on start annd goes out after a few seconds also

But it could still be the pitching problem with soft suspension. Its not uncommon to make an upgrade in one area and it immediately exposes the next weak point. When you mess with brakes its affects suspension and tyre performance also

Last edited by DDS789; 28 October 2022 at 09:58 AM.
Old 31 October 2022, 07:08 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by DDS789
Could be a pad imbalance ie fronts need to warm up more, so a bit dull on initial braking, then, if you have normal initially "grabby" road pads at the back, youll apply more pressure on the pedal and rears will lock

Thats exactly what I suffered; Unfortunately I found out by sailing into the back of an Audi. Was doing 20mph and the b*st*rd thing just refused to stop. Initially thought it was diesel on the road until it happened again. From that point onwards ABS fuse was pulled and then the problem became obvious; Rears would grab first on the first 3 to 4 hardish stops, only until after that the fronts started to do their job.
Old 03 November 2022, 02:59 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Yes under heavy braking.

The standard K sport pads are not the best, try swapping them out and see how you get on, along with all the other suggestions!

Last edited by IainMilford; 03 November 2022 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07 November 2022, 12:05 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Oh dear that's not good. Right will upgrade rears first see how that fares. Don't want dodgy brakes.

Thats exactly what I suffered; Unfortunately I found out by sailing into the back of an Audi. Was doing 20mph and the b*st*rd thing just refused to stop. Initially thought it was diesel on the road until it happened again. From that point onwards ABS fuse was pulled and then the problem became obvious; Rears would grab first on the first 3 to 4 hardish stops, only until after that the fronts started to do their job.