Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake lines - OEM hard line

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2021, 11:19 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Brake lines - OEM hard line

In the rebuilding of the front end it was inevitable that something would break, and it was the drivers side hard line when I was putting the new braided line on. Now I know that I can cut the corroded end off and put cupro-nickel in there but I'd like if possible to keep the OEM spec stuff on there. I couldn't see them on the IPC site, but as they're shut until Tuesday now I thought I'd ask on here. Are these still available, and has anyone a rough idea of price? Unfortunately one way or another I'll need to spend money as I lent all my brake line building kit to someone many years ago and never got it back (and I can't remember who I gave it to!).
Old 31 May 2021, 04:39 PM
EndaITR
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

what year ?

I just got a full rear section hard lines of Subaru direct for my 2003 JDM sti, IPC had them aswell.

Ring Subaru with your VIN
Old 31 May 2021, 10:03 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EndaITR
what year ?

I just got a full rear section hard lines of Subaru direct for my 2003 JDM sti, IPC had them aswell.

Ring Subaru with your VIN
Nice one, cheers. I'll give IPC a shout and see what they come up with, or if not see how much Subaru want for one! If it comes to it I can make up a repair section to tide me over until I can track down a proper one.
Old 01 June 2021, 05:46 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Well it turns out ICP don't stock them, it's dealer only, and having spoken to the dealer they've been discontinued by Subaru in Japan. The hunt for NOS somewhere is on...
Old 01 June 2021, 07:03 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Just to confirm , you know the front hard lines come as a complete set?? 26514FE040 (for JDM or UK)

you might be waiting some time for NOS
The following users liked this post:
Old 02 June 2021, 09:00 AM
RetroPug
Scooby Regular

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

If you really want it to look original, why not just replace the whole line with cupronickel and then paint/coat it in something similar to the original finish?

If you remove it complete, you can copy all the bends etc.
The following users liked this post:
Old 07 June 2021, 01:28 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Just to confirm , you know the front hard lines come as a complete set?? 26514FE040 (for JDM or UK)

you might be waiting some time for NOS
Yeah, I realised that after speaking to the dealer (I wasn't sure if the above diagram from OF was missing the link to finer detail) but as the last known price they had for the whole thing was about £95 it seemed quite reasonable. Sadly that is of no consequence now. I'll keep an eye out but will probably go with the short splice for now but then down the line if I can't find a genuine part I'll probably go with RetroPug's suggestion. I could get it olive drab passivated easily enough at a local place but it's a lot of faff I was hoping to avoid!
Old 16 June 2021, 05:57 PM
motley
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have exactly the same problem - did you find a source for the hard line? If not it looks like I'm going to be doing some pipe bending myself :-(

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Old 16 June 2021, 08:18 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by ST-X
Well it turns out ICP don't stock them, it's dealer only, and having spoken to the dealer they've been discontinued by Subaru in Japan. The hunt for NOS somewhere is on...

Mate I think you have been fobbed off. They do parts for cars older than the classic. I called them up not too long ago about replacements fog covers for a classic and they still had them in Japan.

If you need dealer contact details let me know.
Old 16 June 2021, 09:25 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Possibly

but UK/Europe database shows item in red, which "usually" means unavailable for whatever reason. (would need a very big box, (if they come pre-bent to shape))

Old 16 June 2021, 10:54 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

On the stuff I checked some of it was classic JDM and other bits were UK items. All were not in stock in the UK but were in Japan. The cost is the same. So it is worth giving them a call.
Old 17 June 2021, 09:23 AM
motley
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is all new ground for me.

Should I try to cut the hard pipe just below the union and swage the end after fitting a new union?

There is a little bit of 'leeway' in the pipe routing and because the engine is out at the moment and I have plenty of room.

Or would it be safer to remove the pipe from the car and make a new piece in the same shape.

I'm grateful for any help here - having gone to the trouble of getting the calipers reconditioned, new discs and flexibles etc I would like to do this properly.

Thanks