Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

4pots with competition pads vs STI brembo with stock pads

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2018, 11:21 AM
uxon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4pots with competition pads vs STI brembo with stock pads

Which combination would perform better in a fast road 300BHP+ WRX, especially in terms of fading?
I have heard some stories of stock 4pots stopped braking after 1 or 2 brakings from high speeds. Now I am thinking about increasing power and my stock brakes need replacement. Is it better to just change brake pads for some trackday pad (ds2500, ebc blue, cl rc5+) which is lower cost in the beginning, but larger operating costs, or better to swap for bigger front discs and run them with stockish pads (jurid, textar, trw, bosch)?
Will bigger discs (sti or legacy spec b) with stock pads give me larger or at least comparable fade resistance to 4pots with competition pads?
The car is my daily driver, I will drive my child and missus in it. I just want to be sure that brakes will work in any situation. Being honest I am a little afraid of competition pads (because of need to warming them up and the noise they might produce).
Old 17 July 2018, 11:24 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Just get a set of AP's and be done with it.
Old 17 July 2018, 11:27 AM
uxon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am asking about 2 specific cases. I know that there are some aftermarket options, but I am not interested in them. Please refer to my question only.
Old 08 August 2018, 11:12 AM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

My personal experience was that I could get the 4 pots to work well hot but this was using pads which were very poor cold. If I used a pad that worked okay when cold then it really didn't last long with hard driving (particularly with several hundred kilos of stuff in the car). In contrast I've found I can use a high spec pad in my AP's (yes, not the case you're specifically looking at I know, but they're pretty comparable to the STI gold Brembos in real world terms) and they work fantastically well when hot but also, thanks to the greater leverage of the larger disc they still work well when cold.

I'd also note that disc quality makes a huge difference too. When I last needed to replace the rotors on my AP's I opted for the Reyland rotors at £275 which are much thicker walled and more OEM style than the genuine race style thin walled rotors. Not only did they start delaminating on the surface after a couple of years, they also suffer fade more as they just don't have as much cooling.

As for pads, I've currently got EBC Orangestuff (I refused to ever buy them again after experiencing the Bluestuff in the WRX 4 pots) in them and really like them. Pretty reasonable cold performance, and a really consistent pedal feel with good bite once warm. As to how they'd work in the stock 4 pot calipers though, they could be similarly good, or they could be like the Bluestuff and fall off a literal cliff in performance terms within the space of a few corners.