To Brembo or not?!

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2015, 07:18 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default To Brembo or not?!

Hi all,

Have a bit of a dilemma.. I will be needing new front pads and discs soon on my Hawk WRX. I have been tempted many times with the Brembo setup but this would mean messing about with wheels.

I have a set of Prodrive 18 inch GT1's on the 5x100 fitment and from what I have read the brembos will not fit under them without spacers. I really do not wish to use spacers so rules that out. Next option is a set of STi wheels but this is an added cost and means losing my beloved GT1's.

Current combo is EBC yellows on EBC Ultimax discs. (HEL braided lines, Gulf RF800 fluid and a Tegiwa brake stopper) frankly I think they are crap. Couple of hard stops and the car no longer wants to stop. The fluid isn't boiling as pedal still firm but feels like it just does nothing when hitting the brakes.
If I don't go to the Brembo's the next plan was a set of Godspeed discs and some CL RC5+ or EBC Blues as they get much better reviews.

Thoughts?
Old 18 December 2015, 08:04 PM
b3nmw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contact Godspeed is probably ur best option
Old 18 December 2015, 09:35 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

I have in the past and they advised the EBC blues and the CL RC5+ are a better pad than the EBC Yellow if I were to stay with the 4 pots.. I am just curious to peoples experiences if anyone has had this combo and then gone to Brembos and if there is much of a difference.
Old 18 December 2015, 10:03 PM
wrx-9rr
Scooby Newbie

Pretty much in the same situation...subscribed
Old 19 December 2015, 01:10 AM
G10
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FuZzBoM
Hi all,

Have a bit of a dilemma.. I will be needing new front pads and discs soon on my Hawk WRX. I have been tempted many times with the Brembo setup but this would mean messing about with wheels.

I have a set of Prodrive 18 inch GT1's on the 5x100 fitment and from what I have read the brembos will not fit under them without spacers. I really do not wish to use spacers so rules that out. Next option is a set of STi wheels but this is an added cost and means losing my beloved GT1's.

Current combo is EBC yellows on EBC Ultimax discs. (HEL braided lines, Gulf RF800 fluid and a Tegiwa brake stopper) frankly I think they are crap. Couple of hard stops and the car no longer wants to stop. The fluid isn't boiling as pedal still firm but feels like it just does nothing when hitting the brakes.
If I don't go to the Brembo's the next plan was a set of Godspeed discs and some CL RC5+ or EBC Blues as they get much better reviews.

Thoughts?
You could also look at a set of reconditioned callipars, with the lighter pistons.
Old 19 December 2015, 04:03 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

AP 4 pots, by the time you have spent a wad of cash making a 10yr+ old set of brembos work and look like new you may as well throw another couple of hundred quid at the job and have the quality.

They also fit behind standard wrx wheels so you may well be able to keep your current wheels, also when it come to selling up time you can either remove and refit standard or offer the brakes with the car,Ap's usually sell for between £7/900 2nd hand.

Speak to godspeed about AP's.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 19 December 2015 at 04:04 AM.
Old 19 December 2015, 10:46 AM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
AP 4 pots, by the time you have spent a wad of cash making a 10yr+ old set of brembos work and look like new you may as well throw another couple of hundred quid at the job and have the quality.

They also fit behind standard wrx wheels so you may well be able to keep your current wheels, also when it come to selling up time you can either remove and refit standard or offer the brakes with the car,Ap's usually sell for between £7/900 2nd hand.

Speak to godspeed about AP's.

I have considered the AP's but £1500 is a bit of a wedge to shell out on them. I also have seen Godspeeds Brembo upgrade and been tempted by that. In truth I could get some second hand wheels and calipers for a little less then the £1000 price tag I think.
http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/impr...and-bells.html

I just wonder if I will see much of a gain over the stock Subaru brakes with a set of the RC5+'s. I don't do track days in it but am running 320bhp/350ftlb and like most Impreza drivers I do like to push on a bit from time to time.

thanks for the replies.
Old 19 December 2015, 12:02 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

just keep your 'beloved' wheels and ditch EBC
Old 19 December 2015, 10:19 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Have you considered Godspeeds 335mm disk upgrade for the 4 pots? Not cheap at £550 but works with 17s so you get to keep your GT1s which I also think look superb:

http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/impr...onversion.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...brake-kit.html

Something I would consider in the future