Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Warped Brembos

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2002, 07:15 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have the ScoobySport Brembo convertion with sine wave discs 28mm x 295mm, after about 6000 miles the discs are shot to pieces, SS have said they'll gladly replace them under warranty, but I've heard from others that this disc is known to warp.

My question is do I get another pair of the same under warranty, or could I upgrade to a 330mm disc of some kind, using these calipers ? and maybe a pad upgrade suggestion

TIA, Shane.
Old 06 June 2002, 08:24 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OOPS!
Maybe you should lighten the load on the brakes a bit 'fat boy'!
I thought these brakes were bullet proof, obviously not!
Ron
Old 06 June 2002, 09:09 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the constructive help Ronald ;P

At least my car has the power to warp Brembo discs
Old 07 June 2002, 12:12 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
BG, I think you have APR discs (not Brembos) which are virtually immune to warping, but not immune to wear. It's not clear what your problem is but if Scoobysport will replace them under warranty, for whatever reason, you will not get better discs than these from anyone at any price.

Good luck,

Richard.
Old 07 June 2002, 12:30 AM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks Rich,

They have suddenly developed terrible judder when I warm them up and do a couple of 3/4 strength presses from about 100mph.

They have been carefully bedded in and have done one very carefull trackday about 2000 miles ago.

Otherwise all my driving is motorway and rarely do I use my brakes in anger, so strange that they should warp
Old 07 June 2002, 02:56 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
BG, that certainly sounds like warping but is most unusual with those discs. Maybe you've sat with your foot on the pedal while discs are hot? That will do it. Another possibility is that you've got pad compound unevenly spread over the disc surface from some hard braking but this would show up whenever you apply the brakes and wears off after a few days. Whatever, Scoobysport will sort them for you

Richard.
Old 10 June 2002, 11:01 PM
stratman
Scooby Regular

All discs must be seated completely flat on the hub. If there is any dirt present you will end up with high spots after a few months use and this will give the symptoms of warped discs.

The disc run-out should be check to see if within manyfacturers tolerence when fitted but unfortunately a lot of mechanics dont do this.

Also if you have the habit of sitting with your foot on brake pedal the heat concentrates on one spot causing warping.
Old 10 June 2002, 11:12 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Thx Strat,
gonna get them fixed in next week or two, they are getting worse and worse, cant help feel that maybe its something else causing it. :/
Old 11 June 2002, 12:52 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
probably your pads are buggered. I have had this with Pagid Blues in the past. What you using?
Old 11 June 2002, 10:54 AM
JohnS

You might find the following article of interest:

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm

Claims that most cases of warped discs are just instances where pad material has transferred to the disc (usually when both are hot). This was certainly the case with a set of the AP 330mm discs I had on my previous car, as you could see an outline "shadow" of the pad on the disc, and at Cadwell Park the brake vibrations were bad and getting worse. I swapped the pads at lunchtime, bedded them in as best I could and then just gave them hell (ie repeated severe abuse!), thinking that they were scrap anyway. Within a couple of sessions, the vibrations actually decreased, and the disappeared completely. After this, I never had any problems with the brakes vibrating, and the discs lasted well until the end of their life.

John
Old 11 June 2002, 06:35 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the pointers, much appreciated.

I think its likely to be the pads too, as I was very careful when bedding the discs in.

My pads are whatever SS fitted as part of the conversion kit,
Will find out shortly as I'm going back up there next week.
Old 11 June 2002, 09:47 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had the Brembo discs in the past (although yours are AP) and they've all warped. I tried everything, different pads, longer bedding in, no sitting on the breaks on motorway slip roads etc, but they still warped. Eventually it shagged my steering rack and the seals went.

I took the discs off and got them skimmed and this cured the problem totally. All I can think of is that the material warped with the heat and stayed that way, until I trued them back up.

F
Old 12 June 2002, 09:22 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Shane

We'll check them out when you come in and if they are warped, we'll replace them under warranty.

If they are warped, this will only be the 4th set in 3 years. Considering most of our customers use them on track, I doubt any other manufacturer could claim such a good record. This is why we are using AP discs again (yours are AP) with our new KAD brake kits.
Old 12 June 2002, 06:06 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Aye Pete, I'm sure you'll sort them, not worried about that

Just interested to know if bigger discs can be fitted on the Brembo calipers, say something like a 330mm disc ?
Old 12 June 2002, 06:11 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

And also a 330mm disc will look much nicer in my spinky new 18" Technomagnesia F1's