Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

What about 215/45R16

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2002, 12:59 PM
Canuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

If you're running around on standard B-roads then stick with the 16's and don't listen to the advice so far - these are the best compromise for standard road use.

In answer to your question - I am running 215/40's (yes 40's!) on my 16's (7.5"-wide wheels) and the ride is great (MY97 Impreza Turbo, with Eibach suspension). Handling is terrific and I get no rubbing despite some amateur attempts to get the suspension as well compacted as possible!! I do try to avoid pot-holes where possible ...

I opted for these cause of the width of the wheel, and reckonned that 205s just really wouldn't make the span and maintain an optimal sidewall characteristic.

As for rolling circumference, it is calculated to show about 5% faster on the speedo, which can't be a bad thing.

Canuck

[Edited by Canuck - 6/5/2002 1:03:43 PM]
Old 03 June 2002, 06:59 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are these too wide for std 16" wheels? Any benefits over 205/50R16?
Old 04 June 2002, 02:02 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Prolly not and prolly not

Theoretically a minor improvement in handling from the lower profile but it's very slight. Speedo would show you going 2% faster than you are, and similar reduction in gearing.

You will get much greater benefits from fitting a really good tyre than fiddling with minor size tweaks. I've not tried anything quite as superb as the old and sadly missed SO-2pp in 17in size - amazing wet grip and very stiff side-walls for sharp steering. Toyo T1-S supposed to be very good, though not tried them. My Goodyear F1s (old compound) are good, but not in the SO-2's class.

See you soon,

Richard.
Old 04 June 2002, 05:17 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was the width I was interested in really, I was thinking 45 profile to try and preserve the rolling radius as closely as possible, but 215/45R16 look to have poor availability.
Old 04 June 2002, 08:32 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Not sure what you're getting at, John. Are you trying to squeeze a bit more grip from bigger contact patch or summat?

There have been some great debates on here about grip, contact patch size and shape, pressure, vehicle weight, load etc. Simon de Banke is the man you want.

In summary, contact patch remains the same (in area if not in shape) regardless of tyre size, and only varies with tyre pressure and weight. All other things being equal, overall grip is the same. Strange but true.

Low-profile tyres feel like they give more grip because they flex less and give sharper steering and more feedback. There are lots of other factors (and don't ask me to argue the toss, please!) but grip is fixed.

If you want a treat, get some top tyres on 17in rims for added and then some 16in slicks for your current wheels on track Stunning grip from the mega-sticky compound and sod the contact patch

Best,

Richard.