Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2014, 04:59 PM
Steveobc
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best disc, pads and tyre combo for fast road and track

Afternoon

Just after peoples opinions

Bought a Blob Sti PPP recently (love it to bits)

Had a go out on track with it round silverstone and castle combe and has been great fun, only mods it has are some whiteline goodies and a stage 1 clutch, apart from that bog standard

Will change the suspension soon as it has developed the clicking noise- but works fine on track so can wait til another day

Tyres however are worn out and could do with fresh rubber and so are the discs and pads- plus noticed HUGE brake fade after only a few laps round Silverstone

so.....going for new discs and pads (best combos for track/road use please) may even plump for some braided brake lines while im at it

and good track tyres- did have a C20XE corsa before with Yokohama AD08's and they were great all-rounders for driving to the circuit doing laps and driving home again

thanks
Old 30 October 2014, 08:48 AM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a new age car but have done four track days in my classic this year on the following set up.

Toyo R1R's, Carbon Lorraine 5+ pads, Goodridge hoses High carbon discs and Halfords "racing" dot 4 fluid. The only negatives are the amount of dust generated by the pads and they squeal at low speed. They wear pretty quick too.

Toyo R1R's will be discontinued stock now. They are without doubt the best tyre I have ever used. No matter what weired lines I take they squeal but never break traction. I chose them in preference to Advans purely on cost.

The car is a 96 sti type ra with 320 bhp on bilstein coilovers. I'll be running out of skill long before I reach the true potential of the car.

Prior to the Lorraine pads I used EBC yellow stuff pads and tbh I thought they were shocking! I dont know if the DOT 5 fluid was boiling up but the pads were smoking after a 20 minute session at brands hatch and the discs were discoloured. The pad material looked like broken digestive biscuits when I changed them.
Old 30 October 2014, 10:15 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

I would stick with the yokohama AD08,or there replacement AD08R which are a perfect compromise between road and track driving.Brakes for me has to be Performance Friction two piece disc and PFZ_rated pads,I have been using that setup now for over 10 years and they can't be beat for fast road/track driving.SJ.
Old 30 October 2014, 05:25 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

Most of the people recommend what they run and tried,but after tried several setups and several brake pads plus tyres,I would go with Performance Friction Z-Rated pads or something more track orientated as Pagid RS series

I would add good brake fluid like is Performance Friction RH665

Tyres I would choose only Toyo R888,those tyres are best what we are tried and AD08R are good,but not good as R888,have run them on track and they performed great which I can't say about the AD08R,I've hoped for similar performance as R888,but they needs bit more heat and on drag strip they're bit poor for us,but that's my view on them

Thanks,Jura
Old 30 October 2014, 06:00 PM
SpecC_Chris
Scooby Regular

If want tyre for road and track the ado48rs are a good tyre if want best of both worlds. I found they where good in rain too.

Also the michlien pilot sport cups are another I've used , they are just as good aswell just only come with 5mm from new.

Never tired the r888s always, have used the ao48s though and thought were great just for track.
Old 01 November 2014, 02:32 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Not sure about tyres,but brakes I'd go for PF 2 piece disc's with XP8's or XP10's pads.