Notices
Was it you? Spotted another scooby? Find out if they're here. By popular demand, the "was it you" forum :-)

Tw*t in a John Smith's lorry

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2008, 08:05 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tw*t in a John Smith's lorry

Pulled out in virtually on top of me on a roundabout in the Western Industrial Area of Bracknell this morning without even looking, and then proceeded to change lanes when I was half way past you in the nearside lane of the dual carriageway, and continued to keep coming even though I sounded my horn to warn you I was there.

I had to brake hard and nearly hit the central reservation to avoid you, and was then amazed to see you having a go at me out of your window for sounding my horn!!

You're a f**king idiot mate - bloody menace to anyone else on the road.
You nearly killed me and the wife and for what - so you can get to your destination 2 seconds quicker.
Use your f**king mirrors - that's what they're for - as if you can't hear a scooby passing you anyway...

If anyone else encounters this guy look out - I'd consider reporting him to the police for dangerous driving if I thought they'd actually do anything.

Does anyone know if there's a generic line you can call to report dangerous HGV drivers?
Old 05 August 2008, 09:44 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All to familiar to me pal....

Overtook a lorry on a dual carrageway.... at the end was a roundabout with the left lane going straight on only, and the right lane following the ring road (arrows on the lanes before anyone chips in about highway code!)
Lorry undertakes me (right hand lane qued up) and when he gets to the roundabout, cuts across, with me there..I blow the horn... he gets his hand out the window and starts waving fingers etc out at me... I have room to pass him on the inside now, so I overtake him and I'm away.... end of story u'd think..no... he catches me up at the next roundabout... goes in the WRONG LANE again! and as we pull onto the roundabout he purposely runs me up the inside kerb by driving straight... so I blow the horn (somewhat amazed at what just happened) and when he's pulled over enough...shot through and overtake him.... next roundabout (3 or 4 miles later) he's back up my *** (now single carrageway) and you cannot get a *** paper between the rear of my car and his truck.... we stop in traffic... he gets out with a baseball bat... hits and kicks my car door... I pick up my mobile and dial 999 and he jumps back in his truck and as I pull over to get out he drives off... no prob I think... he's caused damage to my car.. I have his number plate... and witnesses (who had seen the whole thinkg from the start).. tell the police... guess what...NOTHING WAS DONE...the company had gone bust... no records of driver schedules in the office... £1k of damage I had to foot because one lorry driver was having a bad day and descided to use his vehicle as a weapon....
Old 05 August 2008, 09:55 AM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Call the company direct to report him.
Is there a hows my driving number on some vehicles but if there was no advert for it then there probably not registered to it
Just call your local John Smiths place. Did you get his number? That would be a great bonus if you did. You could also report him to the police if you feel you wouldn't get anywhere with the company
Old 05 August 2008, 11:22 AM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

I had a run in with a Bargain Booze lorry but a few miles down the road he had pulled up at one of there shops to deliver, I rang the number on the back( I was sat behind the lorry) When the driver saw me he was getting really aggresive, I slowly wound the window down and the guy on the phone asked who was shouting/swearing etc I said his driver, about 20 seconds later this guys phone goes (while he is still stood at my car shouting abuse)
It was his boss on the phone and he soon shut up, never heard a word from him again.
Old 05 August 2008, 12:04 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by scoobynewbie72
I had a run in with a Bargain Booze lorry but a few miles down the road he had pulled up at one of there shops to deliver, I rang the number on the back( I was sat behind the lorry) When the driver saw me he was getting really aggresive, I slowly wound the window down and the guy on the phone asked who was shouting/swearing etc I said his driver, about 20 seconds later this guys phone goes (while he is still stood at my car shouting abuse)
It was his boss on the phone and he soon shut up, never heard a word from him again.
lol - that is a fantastic story.
Sadly I didn't get a chance to get his number as I was too busy trying not to get squashed! However I may see if I can find a number to ring on the John Smith's website...
Old 05 August 2008, 12:38 PM
scooby_rock
Scooby Regular

Scottish & Newcastle Plc, 28 St. Andrew Square, Edinburgh, EH2 1AF.

email enquiries@s-n.com

this is who run and own john smiths beers
Old 05 August 2008, 01:35 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by scooby_rock

email enquiries@s-n.com

Thanks
Old 05 August 2008, 02:54 PM
ioa1980
Scooby Regular

Use your flashers when overtaking.

My dad, who was once a policeman and now a driving instructor, tells me that the whole point of having the ability to flash your main beam is to warn other motorists of your presence...and when overtaking a lorry under such circumstances is about the most appropriate way of using them as is pushing the brake pedal to stop is.

I make a point of flashing my lights when overtaking lorris when I think they may overtake something in front of them.

PLUS...remember their blind spot...approx halfway along the trailer to the back of the tractor unit..depending on the length of trailer and type of tractor unit.

Chris.
Old 05 August 2008, 04:01 PM
urdad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ioa1980

My dad, who was once a policeman and now a driving instructor, tells me that the whole point of having the ability to flash your main beam is to warn other motorists of your presence...and when overtaking a lorry under such circumstances is about the most appropriate way of using them as is pushing the brake pedal to stop is.

I make a point of flashing my lights when overtaking lorris when I think they may overtake something in front of them.

PLUS...remember their blind spot...approx halfway along the trailer to the back of the tractor unit..depending on the length of trailer and type of tractor unit.

Chris.
That's all well and good,and the original idea of flashing lights was to warn traffic ahead of pulling out,overtaking,etc.
Now it's been adopted as an indication of giving someone permision to perform a driving act,pulling out,etc.
Flashing your lights in certain circumstances will only cause problems such as lorry drivers perceiving this as go ahead for overtaking manouvres.
Same as using hazard lights when towing,hazards are supposed to identify and vehicle parked in a precarious position.
Old 05 August 2008, 04:04 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
Pulled out in virtually on top of me on a roundabout in the Western Industrial Area of Bracknell this morning without even looking, and then proceeded to change lanes when I was half way past you in the nearside lane of the dual carriageway, and continued to keep coming even though I sounded my horn to warn you I was there.

I had to brake hard and nearly hit the central reservation to avoid you, and was then amazed to see you having a go at me out of your window for sounding my horn!!

You nearly killed me and the wife and for what - so you can get to your destination 2 seconds quicker.
Use your f**king mirrors - that's what they're for - as if you can't hear a scooby passing you anyway...

generic line I hope you are taking the p1ss
If anyone else encounters this guy look out - I'd consider reporting him to the police for dangerous driving if I thought they'd actually do anything.

Does anyone know if there's a generic line you can call to report dangerous HGV drivers?
generic line I hope you are taking the p1ss
Old 05 August 2008, 05:05 PM
stevie boy
Scooby Regular

Chris.
hi mate,

your dads advice will of been perfectly good, "back in the day!" but to use it in this day is very dangerous (no disrespect to your dad).

Chris.
doing this will sooner or later result in someone pulling out in front of you. if a truck is catching a vehicle, the driver will look in the mirror, whether they've indicated or not at this point you flash your lights, (unless there's a massive difference in speed compared too how close you are) the trucker will think your a switched on driver that has spotted the fact they are going to want to overtake and flashed to say "go for it mate" (although usually backed up by the nose dropping on the flashing vehicle) at this point your likely to get a simultaneous indicator and maneuver, followed by an indicator flash to say "cheers mate that really helped me out" whilst you are trying to get out of doing an airbag test! you'll go past giving it big on the ****** sign an horn, whilst the truckers thinking wtf?? you flashed me out.

now we all know that the highway code say a flash is a warning, but we also know that the vast majority (carful not too say 99%!) use the flash to communicate with other drivers, generally "flash them out"

if a police, ambulance or fire vehicle with blue lights on are approaching a junction that i have right of way on, i'll flash them too say i've spotted you, go for it. they don't **** themselves trying to anchor on because they think i've warned them, as in i can't stop, they think he's spotted us and therefore that get back on the power an usually give a wave to say thanks. i'm just saying that that’s the accepted use of the flash.
Old 05 August 2008, 05:12 PM
248SPG
Scooby Regular

Was that on the Dual carriage way between the Coppid Beach hotel and the A329m round about????

Think I may have seen it this morning too as I remember overtaking a lorry on the slip road onto the A329m and he took half of my lane too whilst i went past.

The Courage Brewery up at M4 Jnc11 is where most of the John Smith's Lorries come from.

Cheers

S

Last edited by 248SPG; 05 August 2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05 August 2008, 06:09 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Report the driver to the area transport commissioner: the sh*t will really hit the fan...
Old 05 August 2008, 07:02 PM
SCOOBYJOHN12
Scooby Regular

did you take his reg plate down reason i ask is when you ring thease place up thay can pin point his route then thay will know who it was driving as its all on a log with there office sorry to here your news hope you are both ok
Old 05 August 2008, 09:30 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by SCOOBYJOHN12
did you take his reg plate down reason i ask is when you ring thease place up thay can pin point his route then thay will know who it was driving as its all on a log with there office sorry to here your news hope you are both ok
Thanks - we are both okay yeah - just a bit shaken up, although at the time I was really angry.

In regards to the whole "using your flashers" - I exited the roundabout into the fast lane of the dual carriageway - the lorry was in the slow lane. I indicated AND he had plenty of time to see me coming and start to overtake before he then decided to move - I wonder if in fact he did it on purpose; the thing was, I wasn't driving like a loon - I was barely doing 40mph.

248SPG - no mate - it was in the Western Industrial area further down the road - it's just around the corner from where the big Waitrose depot is.

Cheers for the responses everyone; I'll see if I can get the ball rolling - sadly I didn't get his reg
Old 06 August 2008, 10:09 AM
248SPG
Scooby Regular

aaaaahhhhhhh I know the one now.

Good luck with it!!

The Waitrose Drivers around there are a bit of a nightmare too!!!

Steve
Old 06 August 2008, 10:27 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

You wouldnt need his registration number for the TC, but you need to think long and hard before going down that route as the outcome can be extremely serious.
Old 06 August 2008, 01:12 PM
248SPG
Scooby Regular

Thats why I was confused!!! The Waitrose place is in Southern Industrial Area.

Western is the one near the Rubbish tip.

Sorry just drove past there and realised. (SAid life I know )

S
Old 06 August 2008, 04:21 PM
Andygreer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_rock

email enquiries@s-n.com

Due to the fact that now S&N get others to deliver there beer its probaly a Tradeteam Excell with the JSES logo.

I am in the trade my self and up in Durham this is the case
Old 07 August 2008, 07:41 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by 248SPG
Thats why I was confused!!! The Waitrose place is in Southern Industrial Area.

Western is the one near the Rubbish tip.

Sorry just drove past there and realised. (SAid life I know )

S
aaah - mate I've lived here for over 4 years now and I still get mixed up
Old 07 August 2008, 02:42 PM
ioa1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie boy
hi mate,

your dads advice will of been perfectly good, "back in the day!" but to use it in this day is very dangerous (no disrespect to your dad).

doing this will sooner or later result in someone pulling out in front of you. if a truck is catching a vehicle, the driver will look in the mirror, whether they've indicated or not at this point you flash your lights, (unless there's a massive difference in speed compared too how close you are) the trucker will think your a switched on driver that has spotted the fact they are going to want to overtake and flashed to say "go for it mate" (although usually backed up by the nose dropping on the flashing vehicle) at this point your likely to get a simultaneous indicator and maneuver, followed by an indicator flash to say "cheers mate that really helped me out" whilst you are trying to get out of doing an airbag test! you'll go past giving it big on the ****** sign an horn, whilst the truckers thinking wtf?? you flashed me out.

now we all know that the highway code say a flash is a warning, but we also know that the vast majority (carful not too say 99%!) use the flash to communicate with other drivers, generally "flash them out"

if a police, ambulance or fire vehicle with blue lights on are approaching a junction that i have right of way on, i'll flash them too say i've spotted you, go for it. they don't **** themselves trying to anchor on because they think i've warned them, as in i can't stop, they think he's spotted us and therefore that get back on the power an usually give a wave to say thanks. i'm just saying that that’s the accepted use of the flash.

Fair comments.

I agree completely with you.

Unfortunetely, this is evident that the vast majority of the road going public don't fully appreciate the proper rules written in the highway code. Having said that, I'm sure there are some things that I do that are 'incorrect', as I dont have the encyclopedic knowledge of the highway code either.
Its just this particular act of flashing lights is something I've been told about and has stuck with me.

I appreciate the use of flashing to 'let others through/pass/overtake in front of you' etc.

I suppose it all adds to the confusion that we encounter everytime we step into our cars!!!!!

Ah well, just to add to it all...I was behind an old lady in a VW Fox and we were both behind a road legal road going grass mower...she was beeping and waving her fist at him for no apparent reason , apart from the fact he was holding her up....ce le vie!
Old 07 August 2008, 09:24 PM
Andy-C
Scooby Regular

I am not condoning what this lorry driver has done, but thought I would give another slant on this.

#teaching granny to suck eggs#/ON

When lorries are manouvering around bends/ roundabouts they need a greater turning circle and they are also slower then most cars. If this driver was turning right, I would assume he would have been in the left hand lane with his right hand indicator on. He would have gone straight forward on the roundabout until he was in a position where the rear of the traler would follow around the roundabout. The trailer would naturally take the shortest line to catch up with the tractor unit and so would cut across the roundabout.
If you were entering the roundabout within this swing room, it would have looked like he closed the gap on you.

#teaching grannie to suck eggs#/OFF

P.S I'm a CONSIDERATE lorry driver
Old 07 August 2008, 10:20 PM
superstar1
BANNED

Originally Posted by Andy-C
I am not condoning what this lorry driver has done, but thought I would give another slant on this.

When lorries are manouvering around bends/ roundabouts they need a greater turning circle and they are also slower then most cars. If this driver was turning right, I would assume he would have been in the left hand lane with his right hand indicator on. He would have gone straight forward on the roundabout until he was in a position where the rear of the traler would follow around the roundabout. The trailer would naturally take the shortest line to catch up with the tractor unit and so would cut across the roundabout.
If you were entering the roundabout within this swing room, it would have looked like he closed the gap on you.

Know what your saying mate, I've done a bit myself in the past, you think your a capable driver and then you get behind the wheel of a vehicle that's 40 tonne and 40 ft long, trying to negotiate roads that were designed for horses and carts. As a result of my experiences, when out in the Scoob i allways give HGV's plenty of room. Just because i'm insured doesn't mean i want to get my moneys worth and claim on it, or anyone elses.
Old 08 August 2008, 10:04 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Andy-C

Hi mate,

Yes that's a fair point; however on this occassion, said driver was turning left onto a dual carriageway and I was going across the roundabout straight into the right hand lane - him in the left. So he's in the left - I'm in the right.

I'm normally a very alert and considerate driver and tend to read the road ahead fairly well. There was a bus pulled up on the left hand side further down the carriageway in the left hand lane, and this was why the lorry decided to move - whilst I was already passing him.

Unfortunately he had no excuse - he simply hadn't looked in his mirrors either prior to or during the manouvre - hence my disbelief when he simply signalled and then swerved out into my lane without any sort of regard for my presence. I appreciate most HGV drivers have to content with w*nkers cutting them up etc, so I here what you're saying but I'm not one of them trust me - this was a valid complaint!
Old 10 August 2008, 09:28 AM
Andy-C
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,

Yes that's a fair point; however on this occassion, said driver was turning left onto a dual carriageway and I was going across the roundabout straight into the right hand lane - him in the left. So he's in the left - I'm in the right.

I'm normally a very alert and considerate driver and tend to read the road ahead fairly well. There was a bus pulled up on the left hand side further down the carriageway in the left hand lane, and this was why the lorry decided to move - whilst I was already passing him.

Unfortunately he had no excuse - he simply hadn't looked in his mirrors either prior to or during the manouvre - hence my disbelief when he simply signalled and then swerved out into my lane without any sort of regard for my presence. I appreciate most HGV drivers have to content with w*nkers cutting them up etc, so I here what you're saying but I'm not one of them trust me - this was a valid complaint!