Notices
Was it you? Spotted another scooby? Find out if they're here. By popular demand, the "was it you" forum :-)

Scooby Driver with Bad Road Manners/Sense in Rotherham

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2005, 10:16 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Scooby Driver with Bad Road Manners/Sense in Rotherham

Today I was approaching a roundabout on Bawtry road in Rotherham (The one with the dual carrigeway off it leading to the M1) on my motorbike. I was approaching it doind 20-25mph. Saw a new age blue Scooby (who was seriously shifting) already on the roundabout in the left hand lane, which meant he should have gone off at the exit before me. I naturally assumed he would be turning off and so didn't reduce any speed as the roundabout would then be clear for me to enter. Just in the nick of time I realised that he was going all the way round (2-3 o'clock)so I had to do an emergency stop, and almost came off my bike. Now I know that in a court they'd probably say it was my fault as the other guy was already on the roundabout, but one assumes people can use the roads properly. The first thing we're taught when we're learning to drive is that on an 2 lane roundabout any exit up to and including 12 o'clock you should be in the left lane, and after 12 in the right lane (WITH A RIGHT HAND INDICATOR ON MR SCOOBY DRIVER), unless directed otherwise. If people could just follow basic rules I'm sure there would less accidents.
And I know we all like to have fun in our Scoobs, but a roundabout with other traffic on or approaching AND in the wrong lane isn't the way to do it.
And just to show that I'm not always a grumpy moaning ****, it was a nice looking Scoob

P.S. I've just noticed the typo in the title but can't change it now
Old 13 December 2005, 10:19 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NEVER 'assume' ANYTHING ..........................

Pete
Old 13 December 2005, 10:24 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
NEVER 'assume' ANYTHING ..........................

Pete
That's why I double checked, and a god job I did. I just get frustrated as poor roundabout manners seem to be a common problem in Rotherham and Sheffield. Sometimes I feel like stopping the culprits to tell them. Thought if I posted this the guy might be a Scoobynet member and so at least I could get my frustration across to one person. Yes I know we're not all perfect but it's just a huge bug bear of mine
Old 13 December 2005, 10:34 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Have I misunderstood this? If he had got onto the roundabout at the junction before the one before yours, eg. from his point of view he was leaving at the second exit, he didn't need to indicate to leave the roundabout until he was level with the junction before the one he wanted. If you didn't see him indicating to leave the roundabout at that exit then you have to assume that he's leaving by the next one, e.g. yours. Indicating to leave the roundabout is more important than at any other time, for this precise reason.
Old 13 December 2005, 10:43 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Have I misunderstood this? If he had got onto the roundabout at the junction before the one before yours, eg. from his point of view he was leaving at the second exit, he didn't need to indicate to leave the roundabout until he was level with the junction before the one he wanted. If you didn't see him indicating to leave the roundabout at that exit then you have to assume that he's leaving by the next one, e.g. yours. Indicating to leave the roundabout is more important than at any other time, for this precise reason.
No, he came from the other side of the roundabout to me and should have left at the exit before me. Yes I know you should signal before you leave the roundabout but there's soooo many people who don't. You should get a clue where people are going by the lane they're in, hence there being rules of lanes on roundabouts.
Anyway, it sounds like people don't get where I'm coming from, so not to worry. I guess it's hard to get it accross without seeing the roundabout or diagrams. Never mind. Just remember the up to 12 left hand lane and 12 and onwards right hand lane (unless stated otherwise). Never left hand lane for 3 0'clock (unless stated otherwise)
Old 13 December 2005, 11:10 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

unfortunatly, indicators are for indication use only,

but it is clowns like this that do cause accidents, i must ad, in this circumstance, moraly, both would to be to blame, 1 for presuming, the other for not indicating.

I must admitt, i have been party to both if im honest, i have made the presumption, and on accasions, not indicated.

We all hopefully live and learn

John
Old 14 December 2005, 08:28 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

bad road manners is just a general problem everywhere now.................no courtesy or consideration for others.................
Old 14 December 2005, 08:46 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

See lots of bad road users and lack of indication every day. Including the owner of the W reg blue classic yesterday on the Manchunian way yesterday - and then heading towards the Trafford centre who thought over taking on the left and generally weaving through the traffic and acting like a complete tit would get you there quicker / impress people etc. You should also know that the right hand lane is for straight on only and not cut across three lanes of traffic to go left because you are a) unable to follow / read instuctions on signs that indicate the way, and b) can't see signs painted on the road that say straight on only !
You are a complete and utter IDIOT who should have their drivers liscence and car removed before you kill someone - and for what its worth you have been reported to the boys in blue for dangerous driving !
Richard

Last edited by richs2891; 14 December 2005 at 08:51 AM.
Old 14 December 2005, 06:16 PM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

Happens all the time....I watched in horror yesterday as a woman in a BMW estate first caught me off guard by turning left from the outside lane of a two lane roundabout. Luckily I wasn't pressing on as i had intended to turn left myself. She then turned right at the next three lane roundabout from.....you've guessed it, the far left hand lane. I don't think her indicators were working either, despite it being a new car, they certainly didn't come on during any of this!!

Suprisingly her car had no dints or blemishes. I presume she is one of these safe women motorists who have never had an accident.....................probably caused thousands though
Old 14 December 2005, 07:49 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Angry

I almost t-boned someone off a roundabout last night - they decided to turn right from the left hand lane (there were only two exits to choose from ) and in doing so cut right across the centre of the roundabout - just where I was while indicating, and turning right from the r/h lane!

If the abs hadn't cut in (even at sub-15mph) I don't think I would have had the reaction time to miss their rear wheel.
I came to a complete stand in the middle of the roundabout. When I flashed my lights at them at the exit of the roundabout they did the old stand-on-the-brakes thing

What would have really pissed me off is that if I had hit them, it would have probably been put down as a 50/50 knock-for-knock claim!

I winds me up at the shear lazyness of people who drift here, there and everywhere and expect everyone else to either mind read where they are going, or just blatantly get out of the way, or get hit.
Old 14 December 2005, 10:26 PM
hawko
Scooby Newbie

[quote=snerkler] The first thing we're taught when we're learning to drive is that on an 2 lane roundabout any exit up to and including 12 o'clock you should be in the left lane, and after 12 in the right lane (WITH A RIGHT HAND INDICATOR ON MR SCOOBY DRIVER), unless directed otherwise. If people could just follow basic rules I'm sure there would less accidents.

Who taught you this 12 o'clock thing and when???? That rule of thumb went out about 20 years ago!! On a two lane approach to a roundabout the right hand lane is for the final exit exit Or to go back the way you came. The left hand lane is for all other exits (unless stated differently by signs or road markings).

The problem with most road users is that they believe what they were taught is correct, even if this was years and years ago!!!

Rules do change!!!!!!!
Old 15 December 2005, 12:00 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Not if 12 o'clock is a 2 lane exit - then its left or right for straight on
Old 15 December 2005, 11:19 PM
hawko
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Not if 12 o'clock is a 2 lane exit - then its left or right for straight on

I'm past caring................
Old 16 December 2005, 01:18 PM
Awd Chaddy
Scooby Regular

Snerkler

I know what you mean and the problem is not limited to Rotherham/Sheffield area. I live near York and commute home using the Hull Road. There is a major roundabout accross the A64 and clear markings for which lane you should be in weel before the roundabout. But you still get t****rs using the inside lane as a short cut even though they are going to the fourth (last) exit. Worse still there are trafficlights on the roundabout, so if they decide to 'cut in' to the ouside lane (normally without indicating) and the traffic lights change you suddenly have only a third of the braking distance! I've lost count of the number of times I've nearly come a cropper with this kind of senseless driving.

Rant over!
Old 16 December 2005, 02:29 PM
scoobie-shieldy
Scooby Regular

ok on rndabts u never assume u look at position of vehicle and the body signs of car and driver too ascertain whether he is gonna pull off or continue u on, and if at all possible attain eye contact with the vehicle

as for indicators, they r there too indicate your intention and tbh they really dont need to b used no law that i kno off stating u have too or dont have too use

my 2cents worth as i recently attained my proffessional driver status lolz the ardous training of rules and regs did my piffing head in
Old 16 December 2005, 03:26 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Question

Originally Posted by scoobie-shieldy
ok on rndabts u never assume u look at position of vehicle and the body signs of car and driver too ascertain whether he is gonna pull off or continue u on, and if at all possible attain eye contact with the vehicle

as for indicators, they r there too indicate your intention and tbh they really dont need to b used no law that i kno off stating u have too or dont have too use

my 2cents worth as i recently attained my proffessional driver status lolz the ardous training of rules and regs did my piffing head in
Is that mess available in English?