Notices
Was it you? Spotted another scooby? Find out if they're here. By popular demand, the "was it you" forum :-)

Read this,reply, and keep it to the top - one day it could be you!!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2003, 09:17 PM
Matty B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I've returned from holiday to find that the Police have been wanting details about my Scoob and my whereabouts. The Police in Hemel Hempstead (some 100-odd miles away from where I live), have had reports of non-payment of petrol from various garages by a Subaru in their area, plus more in the London Metropolitan area. The Scoob has appeared on only one CCTV camera - but has been positively identified as a Scoob at others.

What is more disturbing, is that my number plate is being used. Today I have had to go to the local police station to get the police to check the VIN and engine details on my scoob against my registration docs. Not that I've got a problem with that - I've got nothing to hide (only my non-regular number plate)

My reg no. is now on a police file, and should it be flagged up by a suspicious cop when I'm out "enjoying a drive", I'll be pulled over and questioned. So I need to keep the relevant crime log details with me in the car to help me prove my innocence. No big deal, but un-nerving nonetheless.

With the agreement from S de B, I have put out this info.

The car in question is a silver Scoob (mine's not).
The reg used is A2 WRX.

The Police believe that as this petrol non-payment has been reported at least 5 or 6 times since the new year, then it cannot be simply be down to forgetfulness. Its possibly a stolen scoob - but why choose a high-profile reg plate?

So to anyone out there reading this and has seen or knows this scoob, the Police at Hemel Hempstead would love to hear from you - so would I [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Like I say, keeping this at the top for a while would be greatly appreciated.

Matthew

[Edited by Matty B - 4/21/2003 10:48:38 PM]
Old 21 April 2003, 09:19 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

bttt
Old 21 April 2003, 09:50 PM
SU3ARU
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

bttt
Old 21 April 2003, 10:00 PM
knuckledragger
Scooby Regular

Chances are that this guy once saw your Scoob, knew it to be a genuine plate then decided to use it. So the options are: a nicked Scoob or someone who just puts the plate on to fill up. Hope they are nailed quickly. My eyes are peeled...
Old 21 April 2003, 10:03 PM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

Intresting. i have a m8 with a wrx type number plate . He has had problems

steve
Old 21 April 2003, 11:01 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Hmm very interesting.

The company I work for runs a chain of 10 Pin bowling centres and over the past six weeks we have had three of our sites broken into at night and all the fruit machines have been raided.

The external camera footage at the centres that have been raided all show up a silver Subaru, but not enough to be able to make out a reg number and as yet I have not seen the tape to be able to identify what MY the car is.

Can't help wondering if these could be related, seeing as Scoobs are still relatively scarce.

Our locations that have been hit are Portsmouth,Basingstoke, Cardiff, along with sitings at two other centres that have not yet been attacked.

Worth keeping an eye on I think, just incase plod should give you a call one day.
Old 21 April 2003, 11:22 PM
beamer
Scooby Regular

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 22 April 2003, 08:05 AM
Scooby Diva xx
Scooby Regular

Angry

Dirty rotten w**^$rs. Where do these ppl get off?
bttt
Old 22 April 2003, 08:09 AM
scooby_jim
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

TO$$ERS, hope they get the book thrown at them...
Old 22 April 2003, 08:41 AM
Scoobygit
Scooby Regular

Hope you get it sorted mate,

Free bttt!!
Old 22 April 2003, 09:02 AM
UHF
Scooby Regular

I'll keep an eye out for it, I'm often in the area.
Old 22 April 2003, 09:05 AM
dan4
Scooby Regular

MattyB,

This is a bit worrying! I live in Hemel and drive a silver Scoob! Is it a classic shape or other? I will keep a look out for that number plate.

Dan
Old 22 April 2003, 09:06 AM
UHF
Scooby Regular

perhaps we should have a cruise and see if he turns up, or just have a day of driving around in Hemel and surrounding area, kinda like a mass invasion and sort this out (within the law of course)
Old 22 April 2003, 09:24 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 22 April 2003, 09:43 AM
willgill
Scooby Regular

I got pulled the other day for a similar problem, seems a certain scooby driver has a habit for not paying his petrol bills!

Police issued me with a receipt that I can show other old bill if they pull me over
Old 22 April 2003, 10:27 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Had a similar problem

Not quite a serious, but just as worrying. (I live in the west mids too - could be the same person/people).

Few years, back. Had the scoob for about 6 months. Christmas eve, coppers come banging on the door asking to see the owner of the Scoob parked outside

Turns out that the plate previously on my car (silver MY97 scoob) had been used on another silver scoob for several robberies. Luckily the plate was never registered in my name as I put my private plate on as soon as I bought it, so I pointed them in the direction of the dealers I bought it off and the previous owners.

Never heard anything since. But brilliant timing - thought I was going to be taken in for questioning on christmas!!

[Edited by ALi-B - 4/22/2003 10:28:50 AM]
Old 22 April 2003, 10:38 AM
Taff
Scooby Regular

Way back in 1988 my burgundy fiesta 1.1 pop plus was "cloned". I was in Uni in Southampton and the car was registered to my mum in Cardiff.

Anyway police turned up at her house one day asking if she knew where her car was. It had been involved in drug smuggling at Heathrow airport and the was an alert out across all forces looking for it.

Meanwhil elittle 'ole me was happily driving around Soton with half of the UK traffice police looking for me.

So when they realsied it was cloned I was given the tel no of some bloke at Scotland Yard - I was to call ghim if ever I got arrested (because I was driving the car)

Old 22 April 2003, 11:40 AM
Matt P
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 22 April 2003, 12:21 PM
p1_dave
Scooby Regular

Red face

We suffered the same a few years ago, white fiesta full RS body kit and private plate, the 'same' car was spotted in Wales dashing from Petrol Stations. Luckily for us the other halve works in a hospital and had photo evidence of the car enterring and leaving the staff car park on the dates that 'we went to wales'. Luckily Police saw us as the victims and we have not had any noticable trouble from them or other people. Obviously being North Essex it would have been one hell of a trip just to nick a bit of fuel!!
Old 22 April 2003, 12:31 PM
will19702001
Scooby Regular

That Stinks Matty, shame our little bit of pleasure has to be ruined by some mindless t**ts.... i`ll keep mine peeled on my travels
Old 22 April 2003, 07:56 PM
Martyn Tonks
Scooby Regular

Will keep em peeled on my regular lengthy travels darn sarf
Old 22 April 2003, 08:15 PM
SkodaMan
Scooby Regular

About 9 months ago, I was getting speeding tickets, "driving down a bus lane" tickets and parking fines for my little old VW Polo. The fact that I lived in Manchester and all the offences were happening in London didn't seem to matter to the local councils. The Police were understanding, if ineffectual, but the councils wanted their money.

I managed to beat the councils eventually, but in the end, I just had to re-register my vehicle with the DVLA. Caused me no end of problems when I was trading the car in for my vRS... but I digress. Your plate is obviously a cherished plate, so re-registration isn't really an option.

All you can do is hope the coppers catch the scum who are driving round with your plates - and they will eventually. It took about 8 months, but the police finally caught the maggots who cloned my car, and they're going to throw the book at him. Not very comforting, but you can take some consolation in the fact that whomever has done this will be going to jail.

My only advice to you is to make sure you keep your old tax disc. Whenever parking tickets are issued, the warden is supposed to take details of the tax disc. This may help you if you are wrongfully sent a parking ticket. Also, it's handy to have a distinctive sticker or modification on your car if you need to prove the differences between your car and one on a Gatso photograph.
Old 22 April 2003, 09:09 PM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

a lot of people are putting stickers and stuff on their front windscreens when driving in the London congestion zone due to number plates being 'reused'... 22000 people have contested their fines in the first few months... including people who live on Shetland or have died... (perhaps both!)

rd
Old 22 April 2003, 09:29 PM
naughtybutnice
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Unlucky mate, but if its any help, BTTT
martin. Somebody nail them *******!!!
Old 22 April 2003, 10:02 PM
Matty B
Scooby Regular

Christ guys, I never expected so many viewings and so much compassion - you do the Scoob community proud

Unfortunately the Police were unable to give me an idea what MY the Scoob in question is - my guess too is that its a saloon and not a wagon judging by their comments.

I shall be speaking to them again very soon to check that my local nick have passed on the relevant info which clears me from the equation, and I will try and find out what other locations it has been seen in.

To those of you in the Hemel area, I thank you for your diligence in keeping your eyes peeled, and of course to anyone else driving out and about. Thanks also for the snippets of advice (and witticisms)

Rest assured, if I do venture down that way, I'll announce it advance, just so no-one carves me up and drags me over their bonnet scoop

Of course, they could be reading this and are now choosing someone else's plate to copy.....

Matthew
Old 22 April 2003, 10:57 PM
wible
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 22 April 2003, 11:37 PM
oj
Scooby Regular

Hope they get the b*st*rds..!! what else are they doing with the car, especially has they have copied your registration number..

As you say you have nothing to hide...!!

OJ..
Old 23 April 2003, 12:30 PM
LordLuthor
Scooby Regular

free BTTT...

less speedtrap vans, more proper policing.

perhaps they could program the forward facing reg-recognition cameras to sort this lot out?
Old 23 April 2003, 12:46 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Bttt for you. What a sh*te thing to happen. Hope they catch the scum soon.
Old 23 April 2003, 01:10 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
BTTT

Quick Reply: Read this,reply, and keep it to the top - one day it could be you!!!