Notices
Wanted Tell us what you're looking for and someone here is very likely to be able to help you find it.

Bug STI Levelling connectors

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2011, 10:05 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bug STI Levelling connectors

I'm after the 2 6-pin connectors that plug into the levelling motor on bug eye STI lights. If I can get new ones with connectors great, but i'm quite happy to get a couple that have been cut from the loom as long as they have about 15cm or wire with them.

I need them to prototype a levelling loom for a WRX to STI headlight conversion on the bugs.

Cheers

Jon
Old 19 November 2011, 01:22 PM
martin850
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be interested to see how you get on as I would like mine to adjust especially if it is part if the mot for next year.

Somebody did make a circuit on here a while ago to do the conversion, they even posted the wiring diagram, might be worth a search.
Old 19 November 2011, 01:34 PM
martin850
Scooby Regular

This might help you Jon.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262151
Old 19 November 2011, 03:57 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Mine will be simpler, I have a nissan almera levelling swithc which has the necessary 6 pins and I can then wire it up as per the factory. The switch has wider spades than the lamps so I can just use 6x3mm spade connectors and use some 6-ways in the loom to make the installation simpler
Old 19 November 2011, 05:22 PM
martin850
Scooby Regular

Does sound easier, well for somebody with you expertise. If you succeed I will buy one off you if you make more as i said before I would like to adjust mine as they are pointing too high or my liking.
Old 19 November 2011, 05:40 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Gonna try and sort some washers at the same time, mod the washer bottle and fit a second pump and wire in another switch for the light washer
Old 21 November 2011, 09:03 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

BTTT
Old 24 November 2011, 10:18 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Clarification from the new MOT manual - not needed but if fitted must work

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.
Old 25 November 2011, 04:38 AM
martin850
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Clarification from the new MOT manual - not needed but if fitted must work
So we are ok without the headlight washers as they arent fitted but we will still need to make them adjustable, is that right Jon?
Old 25 November 2011, 06:57 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

My reading is no you don't need either, but if you do fit them they must work. Off to see my tester in a few weeks to discuss non-adjustable drivers seat as that now appears to be a fail
Old 25 November 2011, 07:47 AM
martin850
Scooby Regular

I guess it could also be read that as we have changed lights our adjusters are fitted but don't work

For the meantime I think i will take out my adjuster switch and get a blank for the gap. I doubt the mot guys will hunt under the dash or in the engine bay to see if anything is missing for the lights.

If I can get a JDM switch and connectors would you give me a hand to try and get it working for some beer tokens, as I would like to adjust my lights if it's possible to do.

Your seats could pose more of a problem. Hopefully it's easily sorted mate.
Old 25 November 2011, 07:58 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

You don't need a JDM switch, a Nissan almera one works just fine and costs about a fiver on eBay. Once I sort mine I'll work out materials costs including the switch.

Seats just need a runner fitting, but what's the point of fixed buckets if you make them adjustable. Might just get a sport cat too and save all the agro, until they move the goalposts again
Old 25 November 2011, 08:24 AM
martin850
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
You don't need a JDM switch, a Nissan almera one works just fine and costs about a fiver on eBay. Once I sort mine I'll work out materials costs including the switch.

Seats just need a runner fitting, but what's the point of fixed buckets if you make them adjustable. Might just get a sport cat too and save all the agro, until they move the goalposts again
That would be great thanks.

Exactley mate, you may as well of gone for Sti seats etc if you wanted them to adjust.

My sports cat is one of the best things on my car, I haven't got the time or inclination to be swapping exhaust around every year and it has always passed comfortably. Just need the system a little louder

Fingers crossed they don't include re-maps anytime soon or we will all be out buying switchable maps.
Old 01 December 2011, 09:40 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Anyone, just need the connectors
Old 01 December 2011, 10:26 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

I did this on my bug wrx a couple of years ago, had to get the 6-pin switch as my wrx only had the 4-pin one, think I got it from the states, I couldn't get the connectors so I made up a loom and got some connectors from maplin from the PC parts bit as the pins are quite small these were my best option, then just got some heat shrink and finished them off, I ran 1 loom to the drivers headlight and then from there to the passenger headlight, worked a treat,

Gaz.
Old 02 December 2011, 09:04 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
I did this on my bug wrx a couple of years ago, had to get the 6-pin switch as my wrx only had the 4-pin one, think I got it from the states, I couldn't get the connectors so I made up a loom and got some connectors from maplin from the PC parts bit as the pins are quite small these were my best option, then just got some heat shrink and finished them off, I ran 1 loom to the drivers headlight and then from there to the passenger headlight, worked a treat,

Gaz.
I have the 6-pin switch - nissan ones are the same.

What you have done is my current plan and I have the 2.8mm spades and rubber sleeves but thought that I might be able to get the connectors before I started, if not plan A