Notices

Some advice from the Welsh on Wales!

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2013, 09:54 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Some advice from the Welsh on Wales!

Guys and Girls,
I have a break coming up with the other half in Pwllehi. Any worthwhile "sights" or places of "interest" to see across Wales for various "dayouts" etc? I don't have an issue driving to where ever.... as long as it's worth while.

Old 02 May 2013, 11:16 PM
bigphilbaby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

place I really enjoy going to is Big pit. Views are amazing and going down the mine is quite good, history is quite impressive. oakwood can be an ok day out too.
Old 02 May 2013, 11:37 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Definitely worth either walking or taking the mountain train to the summit of Snowdon, plus taking a drive around the Snowdonia National Park. Take a walk around the Great Orm plus it's also worth going over to Anglesey for the scenery.

Try the Evo Triangle test route, in fact nearly all of the A roads up in Gog land are great, nearly as good as those found in Mid, West and South Wales.

If you're coming further south then I'd recommend the Elan Valley, Aberystwyth, Llandrindod Wells, Builth Wells, The Black Mountains and the Brecon Beacons National Park.

Plus of course you've got The Gower National Park, Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion to consider as well.

Remember you're entering God's country so wipe your feet before entering.

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 02 May 2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03 May 2013, 08:28 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
Guys and Girls,
I have a break coming up with the other half in Pwllehi. Any worthwhile "sights" or places of "interest" to see across Wales for various "dayouts" etc? I don't have an issue driving to where ever.... as long as it's worth while.

Where are you coming from?

I'll almost guarantee that you can plan a route(s) that will enable you to make the most of your journey and stay.
Old 03 May 2013, 08:52 AM
daz3883
Scooby Regular

A nice drive for you from there would be to go from pwllheli, through porthmadog to a little village called beddgelert, you have some nice walks there, and then from there you could drive up and over the llanberis pass (snowdon), or if you carried on your on part of the evo triangle which would bring you out in capel cerrig and either come back through bethesda or if you go right, you could stop off in betws y coed.
Old 03 May 2013, 10:20 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
Definitely worth either walking or taking the mountain train to the summit of Snowdon, plus taking a drive around the Snowdonia National Park. Take a walk around the Great Orm plus it's also worth going over to Anglesey for the scenery.

Try the Evo Triangle test route, in fact nearly all of the A roads up in Gog land are great, nearly as good as those found in Mid, West and South Wales.

If you're coming further south then I'd recommend the Elan Valley, Aberystwyth, Llandrindod Wells, Builth Wells, The Black Mountains and the Brecon Beacons National Park.

Plus of course you've got The Gower National Park, Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion to consider as well.

Remember you're entering God's country so wipe your feet before entering.
Don't be a lazy ****** on the train walk up Snowdon. Get the bus from Llanberis up to Pen Y Pass then follow the Pyg Track Route or Crib Goch (on a good day) to the top. Walk back down the side of the railway. Or pay £27 each on the train!
But please have the appropriate clothing.

http://www.snowdonrailway.co.uk/times_prices.php

Electric Mountain, The Longest Zip Wire in the northern hemisphere, all the mountains, lakes or road are brilliant. The Great Orme and the road around it .

Betws Y Coed is stunning.

Angelsey - for three toed pointy heads and William and Kate.

http://www.zipworld.co.uk/

Portmeirion, the original set of The Prisoner (cheap after 3pm), Harlech Castle, Llyn Brenig for Trout Fishing.

But beware of the road works cropping up and the Northwalian Ploice affection for speed traps.

It a great place (and that's from a southy!)

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 03 May 2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05 May 2013, 04:26 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks guys... that's been a great help!
Old 05 May 2013, 05:20 PM
ScoobyNoob79
Scooby Regular

Pwllheli up to Criccieth, could stop to have a look at the castle, up to Porthmadog then through Tremadog up to Beddgelert.

Then onto the Llanberis Pass up to the car park at Pen-y-Pass to see Snowdon, definately walk it, some amazing views, if you have a head for heights and have appropriate walking gear do the Crib Goch route, it's amazing. If you're doing the walk allow a few hours depending on route/fitness. If you have no mountain experience DO NOT go over Crib Goch, stick to the Pyg Track. You could always take a nice stroll up the Miners Path for a glimpse of Snowdon, Llewedd and Crib Goch, not too taxing and doesn't take long.

Coming out of Pen-y-Pass car park turn right and follow the signs for Capel Curig and Betws-y-Coed, some nice driving roads on the way down. Grab some fish 'n' chips in Betws-y-Coed and have them by the river.

Leaving Betws-y-Coed take the A5 and head for Penmachno, go through Penmachno towards Cwm Penmachno and then the back road to Blaenau Ffestiniog, again some amazing driving roads this way on.

Follow signs back down to Porthmadog and then Pwlleli.

Other nice places to visit in the area, Harlech Castle and Barmouth / Barmouth beach.

Phew!

Scott

Last edited by ScoobyNoob79; 05 May 2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05 May 2013, 05:51 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks for the info.... much appreciated!