Notices

heading to llanidloes, any good "driving roads" on the way from london?

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2012, 06:56 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heading to llanidloes, any good "driving roads" on the way from london?

will be going on a bit of a road trip to llanidloes next month, are there are good driving roads i should be making a detour to visit?
Old 15 April 2012, 08:05 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I would come off the M4 and then get onto the M48, get off the M48 when you enter Gods' country at Chepstow.

From there head towards the A466 but just before the race course turn second left off the roundabout onto a B road heading for Monmouth via Devauden, head out past Devauden keeping an eye out for a road marked for Raglan. Once in Raglan head for Abergavenny and then on towards Brecon, from there follow the signs for Builth Wells.

From Builth head towards Llandrindod Wells, then keep on the road heading for Newtown (a cracking stretch of road towards Newtown but be careful you don't run out of road on some of the bends), once in Newtown just follow the signs for Llanidloes / Llangurig.

That will make for a far more pleasant drive than sticking to the major A roads for most of the trip in God's country, if you were prepared to make some big diversions you really could drive some of the best roads in the UK.

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 15 April 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 15 April 2012, 08:48 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

good stuff, will try to incorporate that into a route, probably on my tomtom as we're taking two cars. however for the right road, i'd be open to diversions, it'd be rude not to
Old 15 April 2012, 09:07 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
I would come off the M4 and then get onto the M48, get off the M48 when you enter Gods' country at Chepstow.

From there head towards the A466 but just before the race course turn second left onto a road heading for Monmouth, head out past Devauden keeping an eye out for a road marked for Raglan. Once in Raglan head for Abergavenny and then on towards Brecon, from there follow the signs for Builth Wells.

From Builth head towards Llandrindod Wells, then keep on the road heading for Newtown (a cracking stretch of road towards Newtown but be careful you don't run out of road on some of the bends), once in Newtown just follow the signs for Llanidloes / Llangurig.

That will make for a far more pleasant drive than sticking to the major A roads for most of the trip in God's country, if you were prepared to make some big diversions you really could drive some of the best roads in the UK.

Not forgetting to go through Brecon (you will come to a decent sized roundabout when you come off dual cariiageway from Abergavenny), dont take your last exit off that roundabout, signposted Builth Wells, but go through Brecon, and get to get to Builth, Via Pwllgloyow and Lower/Upper Chapel, Cwmowen road. In essence instead of going around the bottom of the mountains (the less fun route) you will be travelling over them, as the crow flies if you like (*enter farmer talk*). Well worth cutting in, and no detour neceessary.

Pm me if you want more detailed instructions.

As Ty (CF) has said there are many cracking roads to take in, just depends on how much time you have on your hands, and how much you can afford to spend on Fuel.. Tap in B4560 on google earth, and the A4069. Good Roads them.

Rob

Just to add, if you do decide to come via Abergavenny, you'd be wise to stop in a town that you will be passing through called Crickhowell, there you will find a Shell petrol Station, if your car is mappe for v-power only this will be your last place to get some for a good while.
Old 15 April 2012, 09:09 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lanceuppercut
good stuff, will try to incorporate that into a route, probably on my tomtom as we're taking two cars. however for the right road, i'd be open to diversions, it'd be rude not to
I've just edited the route to clarify one section, hope you enjoy it over here - if you are going to Llanidloes then try and get over to the Elan Valley which is near to Rhyader.
Old 15 April 2012, 09:22 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

You will love the roads as Rob and Ty said - watch out for sheep though
Old 15 April 2012, 09:56 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

will come back with a route from google, see what you guys and gals think..

any tesco99 in Wales? only really run on vpower but I understand tesco99 is the same octane rating that can be used at a pinch?
Old 15 April 2012, 10:02 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

will come back with a route from google, see what you guys and gals think..

any tesco99 in Wales? only really run on vpower but I understand tesco99 is the same octane rating that can be used at a pinch?
I think there's a Tesco fuel station in Llandrindod Wells.
Old 15 April 2012, 10:03 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

And there is a Shell station in Newtown as well.
Old 15 April 2012, 10:22 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rally fan 555
You will love the roads as Rob and Ty said - watch out for sheep though

Low blow that Si

Old 15 April 2012, 10:49 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

will have to make sure I take fuel stops into account! let's hope there aren't any weird fuel shortages when it's time!!
Old 16 April 2012, 06:56 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

so google maps seems to like a max of 10 waypoints for some reason so started the route at the a466, chepstow. i crowbar'd your suggestions and accounted for shell stations along the potential route in crickhowell and newtown.

any suggestions/refinements to this? will i make crickhowell to newtown on a single tank of fuel? (not sure what the fuel capacity of a rb5 is)
Old 20 April 2012, 05:38 PM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

when you are down that way find the Abergwysn mountain road from Llanwyrtd wells you will never find another like it.
Old 20 April 2012, 07:32 PM
SAB
Scooby Regular

so google maps seems to like a max of 10 waypoints for some reason so started the route at the a466, chepstow. i crowbar'd your suggestions and accounted for shell stations along the potential route in crickhowell and newtown.

any suggestions/refinements to this? will i make crickhowell to newtown on a single tank of fuel? (not sure what the fuel capacity of a rb5 is)
I think I've squeezed 50 litres into mine when it was almost empty one time. I nearly always use Tesco Momentum 99 and don't have any problems.
Old 21 April 2012, 09:51 AM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Legend
As Ty (CF) has said there are many cracking roads to take in, just depends on how much time you have on your hands, and how much you can afford to spend on Fuel.. Tap in B4560 on google earth, and the A4069. Good Roads them.
saw the pics from CF's early morning drive on the A4069, that looks amazing, though the route i've provisionally planned based on suggestions here, do not take me anywhere near the A4069, will it?

Originally Posted by Dave Y
when you are down that way find the Abergwysn mountain road from Llanwyrtd wells you will never find another like it.
got anything i can hit into google maps or tomtom, searching for "Abergwysn" gave me a town called fishguard heh!