Notices

steering not locking help! :(

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2012, 09:49 PM
wrx_sti_mudzy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering not locking help! :(

alright so under normal circumstances whenever I'm finished driving my classic jdm impreza I pop it into neutral then turn the key in the ignition towards me to cut the engine, where I then have to push it to proceed to the last place on the ignition to remove it, when removing the key i usually here i click and then I turn the wheel either counter or clockwise to activate the locking device in the steering wheel. After removing the key i didn't here that click like I have every other time and I now can turn my wheel in any direction when the car is off and the key is removed and it won't lock! does anyone know what is wrong?
Old 06 March 2012, 10:37 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

My Blob doesn`t lock either...doesn`t bother me though
Old 06 March 2012, 11:35 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like the bar in the ignition barrel has either broken or come away.

Basically, there is a long bar that slots in and when the key is at its last posotion and removed it engages the small metal block which is the steering lock within the ignition barrel.

remove cowling
insert key
turn it half way
on the side of the ignition barrel is a gold punch like hole, insert small screwdriver into this then pull the key and the ignition key part will come away from the main unit, you can check to see if the bar is still working
Old 07 March 2012, 10:24 AM
wrx_sti_mudzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
sounds like the bar in the ignition barrel has either broken or come away.

Basically, there is a long bar that slots in and when the key is at its last posotion and removed it engages the small metal block which is the steering lock within the ignition barrel.

remove cowling
insert key
turn it half way
on the side of the ignition barrel is a gold punch like hole, insert small screwdriver into this then pull the key and the ignition key part will come away from the main unit, you can check to see if the bar is still working
thanks for the reply mate if its broken do i need to get a whole new lock set to sort this or can the locking bar just be changed to solve the issue please let me know thanks
Old 07 March 2012, 06:28 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

you can replace the bar no problem, you just either need to find another barrel say from a scrap yard or a breaking car, buy an ignition barrel and it will have the bar.
Old 08 March 2012, 08:31 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

you could always leave as is and fit a steering wheel lock
Old 09 March 2012, 12:09 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rally fan 555
+1 Don`t see the point in the standard lock as it can be easily broken!
Old 09 March 2012, 08:13 AM
5cooby1
Scooby Regular

Will be part of an mot test soon the standard steering lock.
Old 09 March 2012, 06:54 PM
wrx_sti_mudzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
you can replace the bar no problem, you just either need to find another barrel say from a scrap yard or a breaking car, buy an ignition barrel and it will have the bar.
ok thanks mate i got around to taking it out today and i found that the bar is not engaging as its seems that when i remove the key instead of the bar pushing out to engage the steering lock its doing the opposite and the bar is going further up in towards where i insert the key.

i cant see a way of removing the bar and inserting one from another lock is there a special way of doing this as im a bit confused

let me know mate how i remove the bar if not i will just replace the locks for the whole car thanks for your help mate

here are some pics of the lock when i removed it click on the links below :

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62146114/loc...309_173513.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62146114/loc...309_173520.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62146114/loc...309_173529.jpg
Old 09 March 2012, 07:05 PM
wrx_sti_mudzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rally fan 555
lol its not so the car does not get nicked i have a cat 1 viper pager system fitted so i think that will be secure enough but thanks for the thought

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
+1 Don`t see the point in the standard lock as it can be easily broken!
yeah i know where your coming from mate but i just like everything to be as it was even if i hear a slightest of noises which does not sound right i got to sort it our lol

Originally Posted by 5cooby1
Will be part of an mot test soon the standard steering lock.
damn then i do need to get this sorted soon lol as mot is only around the corner
Old 09 March 2012, 08:02 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx_sti_mudzy
ok thanks mate i got around to taking it out today and i found that the bar is not engaging as its seems that when i remove the key instead of the bar pushing out to engage the steering lock its doing the opposite and the bar is going further up in towards where i insert the key.

i cant see a way of removing the bar and inserting one from another lock is there a special way of doing this as im a bit confused

let me know mate how i remove the bar if not i will just replace the locks for the whole car thanks for your help mate

here are some pics of the lock when i removed it click on the links below :

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62146114/loc...309_173513.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62146114/loc...309_173520.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62146114/loc...309_173529.jpg

All of those pics and the description sounds correct, thats what it should do, it could be possible the bar has come out of its recess but i doubt it.

to remove the outer part and to gain access to the gubbins, in your 1`st pic,bang in the middle and to the right a bit is a small black lug you pull out and then the outer part comes away to reveal the internals.(hard to explain without showing in person LOL)

i have just thrown away the actual steering column part that has the sheer bolts on,i got from the scrappy,( i have just got an ignition barrel and set the pins inside to suit my key,didnt want to change the lockset) so cant check for you, but from memory that bar goes into the other part of the steering column and when the ignition switch is turned to start the car, the bar extends, unpinning the steering lock, when the key is removed, the bar retracts and the steering lock "pings" out (its only a small inch by half inch slab of metal)

remove the cover where the key goes in and check the bar is sitting in place

BE CAREFUL THO, THERE ARE SOME VERY SMALL SPRINGS AND A BALLBEARING SO BE SLOW AND DO IT OVER A TABLE !!!!!!!!

the easiest way is to remove that small lug and as you pull the bit off that sayS lock/ign etc PINCH WITH THE OTHER HAND where the bar is and hold it all together

it sounds worse than it is,BUT BE CAREFUL !!!!!!

good luck bud