Notices

Bit of a Frightner this morning!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2011, 06:13 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Bit of a Frightner this morning!!!

Heading to do a job this morning at 8am going for sennybridge (on the llandyffri road from brecon) and came to penpont bends and had to brake very very hard in my tranny van......
VW polo more or less in the middle of the road, hazards on and a youngish chap (mid 20's) walking backwards toward the grass verge and falling over looking like he was having some sort of fit. went round him turned the van round flew up to the VW popped my hazzards on and he's there on his side looking helpless.....
ran over and he was trying to open a bottle of lucozade, i then twigged he was having a diabetic fit. got the bottle off him opened it sat him up in poured it down his neck, eventually another fella and a woman pull up in their cars behind me and luckily the guy knew exactly what he was doing, found more lucozade and an energy shot and choc in his car, the lad managed to eat on his own but really struggling. within 2 minutes literally he was fine youd swear nothing had happened to him, could not believe what i was seeing. i then asked him had he missed his coffee or brekfast this morn, to which he replie no he hadnt done anything differently tyhis morning to what he always has done. think he was going to go to the doc's to then to have himself checked out (he rang his gf to pick him up-just in case).
never experienced anything like this before, and im not first aider at all, so have been pleased with myself all day that i helped him out!! apparently had he been there much longer on his own things could have been a lot worse.
the thing that amazes me though is that there were 2 cars behind me when i turned round,,i must have passed another 5 or 6 after i had turned and was going to his aid, not one of htem had thought to stop, couldn't believe it
hopefully this'll get me to the correct side when i enter those pearly gates one day!!
Old 10 March 2011, 06:50 PM
redwards
Scooby Regular

You done well there and should give yourself a pat on the back. The missus is a district nurse and reguarly see people on their way to a diabetic comma, you need to act quick in these situations. Your actions probaby saved that kid alot of grief.
Old 10 March 2011, 06:58 PM
Probsprezza
Scooby Regular

Nice one Rob. I can't believe the ammount of people that just drive by when this sort of thing happens
I would like to think that if something happened to me that there would be someone kind enough to stop and help. Good work
Old 10 March 2011, 07:01 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Yes Well Done that Man !! Not many "Good Samaritan's" around these day's
Old 10 March 2011, 07:03 PM
duckdo
Scooby Regular

good work rob my old man used to have these alot till he sorted him self out i s**t myself the first time he had one lucozade is the bees knees to fetch them out of it well done
Old 10 March 2011, 07:07 PM
"THE MOOSE"
Scooby Regular

You did well there fella, fair play ..

Nick.
Old 10 March 2011, 07:22 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys it was quite a frightening experience, i know of people that are diabetic but never realised how quickly things can go really really wrong, was just glad the lad was ok and wasnt too serious, i still cant get my head round the amount of people that passed by and seemed not in the slightest bit bothered as to what was going on!!!
i definately have a new found massive respect for theses paramedics that fly around, they gotta know their stuff and have reaction speed of a bloody king cobra!!

Trending Topics

Old 10 March 2011, 07:29 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rally fan 555
Yes Well Done that Man !! Not many "Good Samaritan's" around these day's
Well i dunno if id go that far Si but would like to think god forbid if it happened to me or one of my family that someone would help out!
unfortunately the world we live in has a lot of very narrow minded people in it, hopefully one day our faith in mankind will be restored!!!
More Dylan's we want to fix the motors, Trooper's and Taylor's to crack the jokes and more Ty's to give everyone abuse and keep them on their toes!!!
Old 10 March 2011, 07:30 PM
brownstain85
Scooby Regular

I'd have left the **** there!
Old 10 March 2011, 07:44 PM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

TOO MANY people these days turn a blind eye, dont want to get involved or help. JJust hope they dont get themselves in a situation where they need help one day and everybody ignores them

Rant Over lol, well done mate
Old 10 March 2011, 07:45 PM
R1CH D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Legend
Cheers guys it was quite a frightening experience, i know of people that are diabetic but never realised how quickly things can go really really wrong, was just glad the lad was ok and wasnt too serious, i still cant get my head round the amount of people that passed by and seemed not in the slightest bit bothered as to what was going on!!!
i definately have a new found massive respect for theses paramedics that fly around, they gotta know their stuff and have reaction speed of a bloody king cobra!!
well done rob, on your toes there.
Old 10 March 2011, 08:26 PM
ozzreid1964
Scooby Regular

well done rob

Last edited by ozzreid1964; 10 March 2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10 March 2011, 08:34 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

its nice to know that there's still people out there willing to help when the **** hits the fan!
Old 10 March 2011, 08:59 PM
redwards
Scooby Regular

One thing to mention, is if anyone does come across someone suffering a diabetic fit don't automatically give them a sugary drink as they may need insulin! Giving more sugar could put them over the edge.
Old 10 March 2011, 09:03 PM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

Top job, Rob.
Old 10 March 2011, 09:07 PM
"Taylor"
Scooby Regular

Nice one Rob.
Old 10 March 2011, 09:10 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by redwards
One thing to mention, is if anyone does come across someone suffering a diabetic fit don't automatically give them a sugary drink as they may need insulin! Giving more sugar could put them over the edge.
JESUS!!!i'll have to rememer that if i see this happening again (hopefully i never will have too,but you never know) i was on the verge of calling 999 TBH but thankfully wasnt neccessary as he came round so quickly after having his lucozade and choclit, i suppose you have to use your own discretion, or call the services if in doubt.Thanks Rich

Originally Posted by ozzreid1964
well done rob
cheers Ozz, i hope all is ok now mate if you need anything you know where i am as i said 2 Jul. Will have to pop round next week for a coffee, oh and hope Jul's tooth is sorted by now, if in doubt mate there's always my Super Grips i use for my Boilers!!
Old 10 March 2011, 09:16 PM
Black-Hawk
Scooby Regular

thats better than the people i run into first thing in the morning.
Old 10 March 2011, 09:18 PM
ozzreid1964
Scooby Regular

cheers Ozz, i hope all is ok now mate if you need anything you know where i am as i said 2 Jul. Will have to pop round next week for a coffee, oh and hope Jul's tooth is sorted by now, if in doubt mate there's always my Super Grips i use for my Boilers!!
yer all is fine now m8 as jul said earlier theo had another epeleptic fit today and thankfully there were people like you around to help him .the ambulance took him to nevill hall in abergavenny but he was released tonight with the all clear again (till next time i suppose)
Old 10 March 2011, 09:40 PM
redwards
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Legend
JESUS!!!i'll have to rememer that if i see this happening again (hopefully i never will have too,but you never know) i was on the verge of calling 999 TBH but thankfully wasnt neccessary as he came round so quickly after having his lucozade and choclit, i suppose you have to use your own discretion, or call the services if in doubt.Thanks Rich
:
I hear too many horror stories off the misses. One kid put his mother in a coma for a few weeks because he give an insulin pen. Scares the **** out of me when these things happen, as you said, credit to the nurses and paramedics who do this day in day out.
Old 10 March 2011, 09:52 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Well done Rob, there are far too many who turn a blind eye and just pass by.

You very well could have saved his life or at the very least a stay in hospital.

God knows what could have happened if some clown had been going like the clappers.
Old 10 March 2011, 10:01 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

yer all is fine now m8 as jul said earlier theo had another epeleptic fit today and thankfully there were people like you around to help him .the ambulance took him to nevill hall in abergavenny but he was released tonight with the all clear again (till next time i suppose)[/quote]

glad 2 hear he's home safe and sound ozz, thank god there were people around. cu soon mate
Old 10 March 2011, 10:06 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYL 4N
Top job, Rob.