Notices

exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2010, 05:18 PM
Lisa 515
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust

Well I finally decided to get a half tidy exhaust fitted (oh yes the mods are well under way lol) spoke to a chap in Morrissons car park Carmarthen today, red blobeye said he's on here but can't remember what he calls himself, anyway, he mentioned a place in Cardiff that do a good job. Someone mentioned the firm on here months back too
Old 13 July 2010, 05:28 PM
SAB
Scooby Regular

Maybe Pro-Speed Exhausts in Roath.
Old 13 July 2010, 05:43 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

I've had plenty of exhaust on the last car and I would never buy new again. Buy 2nd hand, they are all made of stainless steel so last for ever, why pay nearly three times the money

You won't beat the jap made ones Blitz/HKS/5Zigen/Apexi etc for build quality or for the sound they make. Not knocking the guys at pro-speed they do a good job but the JAP stuff is far better quality.

These guys have plenty, they can be a little expensive but you'll get a full system 2nd hand instead of just a new back box

http://www.japperformanceparts.co.uk...tegory=Exhaust
Old 13 July 2010, 06:07 PM
Lisa 515
Scooby Regular

That's it thanks SAB.
Guaranteed for life apparently so should be fine DannyBoy x
Old 13 July 2010, 06:17 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisa 515
Well I finally decided to get a half tidy exhaust fitted (oh yes the mods are well under way lol) spoke to a chap in Morrissons car park Carmarthen today, red blobeye said he's on here but can't remember what he calls himself, anyway, he mentioned a place in Cardiff that do a good job. Someone mentioned the firm on here months back too
I think that was Juarez, I have used Prospeed myself before on two occasions but will not be using them again due to a series of problems on the last exhaust job that Charlie did for me.

If you are going to Prospeed make sure that you tell them EXACTLY what you want before they start the work as they made a complete hash of my last, it entailed 3 return visits and it was never sorted out as I wanted and I just gave up in the end.

If you are just after a rear silencer I will have an STi Genome silencer very shortly for sale, but if you go to Prospeed just make sure you are entirely happy with all the work before paying.

Take someone with you and get the engine up to temperature, check for exhaust blows and the noise level (and insist that he renews all the gaskets and has them in stock before you arrive).

Don't get me wrong they can do very good work at Prospeed but the standard of work has slipped considerably and I definitely won't be using them again.

If you go for a sport cat replacement of your standard cat ensure that the sports cat that they fit is type approved and bears the approval number as your car can now fail it's MOT test on the cat not bearing the approval number, it should be on a plate welded onto the cat itself.

That's it I think.
Old 13 July 2010, 06:17 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Default HI

Hi Lisa, This is the same problem I had! I looked for months, asked loads of people millions of questions and still couldn't find an exhaust because everyone had different ones and they all sounded great

I loved the one I had on my car when I bought her but it was a japanese one and I could not find anyone who sold it over here. I could have had it imported but that was so much hassle.

So after a many telling my about their experience at Pro-speed in Cardiff I took it there and decided to have a complete system fitted, all done at once then. Best decision I've made so far

I spoke to Charlie and what a great bloke! He asked me what I was looking for sound wise and picked the shape of the end pipe etc

So I left her there for the day while I went to watch some racing and when I got back and he drove her out of the garage I couldn't believe that was my car. She sounded exactly how I wanted her too.

Would recommend him to anyone looking at changing there exhaust, Hope this helps

Claire
Old 13 July 2010, 06:20 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

That's it thanks SAB.
Guaranteed for life apparently so should be fine DannyBoy x
Lisa, any good quality exhaust should last for at least 10 years.
Old 13 July 2010, 06:21 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What sort of volume are you after Lisa ?

I spotted a HKS Hi Power Silent in the for sale section last night, I'm running one here they look Jap style and are reasonably quite but do let a nice grumble out... I'll get the link if your interested. I personally would not get a pipe from Prospeed they just don't have the finish that I'd expect for the money.
Old 13 July 2010, 06:22 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Default Weird

How weird it that, Me and Ty both posted the same time but have different experience's with Pro-speed.

Let me just say I did have mine done just over a year ago tho & Ty is way more experianced at mods than I am
Old 13 July 2010, 06:27 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Here's the link

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...sportscat.html

Search for the info on here...

http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/
Old 13 July 2010, 06:37 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I cannot fault Pro-speed one bit, had many exhaust made by him, mine is just how I want it right now, maybe not how my neighbours want it but sod em

I'll be going there with my next car, whatever that may be

The other guys prefer different makes etc, it's all down to what you're after. So, how loud, deep, big do you wanna go? Ummm, sound I mean
Old 13 July 2010, 06:37 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

HKS silent for me, looks great you can hear the radio and flows with the very best.
Old 13 July 2010, 06:40 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blueg14rep
How weird it that, Me and Ty both posted the same time but have different experience's with Pro-speed.

Let me just say I did have mine done just over a year ago tho & Ty is way more experianced at mods than I am
Hi Claire, I had the exhaust on my S202 done well after yours and it is a right tale of woe.

First Visit - renew cat with a sports cat - on journey home hear a blow from the exhaust - I checked it out a couple of days later and found the blow to be between the turbo and downpipe/sports cat.

Ring Charlie up and speak to him and ask if the gasket was renewed when the new downpipe fitted - apparently they don't renew the gasket and take a chance on it being ok. It was not and they had destroyed it upon fitment and by his answer they hoped I wouldn't notice.

Second Visit - take the car back on a Saturday morning for them to take the downpipe off and renew the gasket and refit the donwpipe ring them at 11.30am and ask on progress on the job, get told that they couldn't do the job as they did not have a gasket there! I had a gasket myself in work (Pontypridd ) so I said I would bring it down with me so they could finish the job. Charlie then told me that then they did not have enough time to do the job? After a heated conversation I then go back down to collect the car (car had not moved from where I parked it). Go into reception and have a blazing argument with Charlie in reception/waiting area in front of some prospective customers. Arrange for a third visit.

Third Visit - another Saturday, take the car back again and guess what? They still did not have a gasket, luckily I had brought my own along. Charlie then speaks to me and I tell him EXACTLY what I want and how he is going to make sure it happens properly this time. On this visit I am having the rest of the system changed at the same time, so I should have a full 3" system fitted. Upon collecting the car I get invited into the workshop to view the car and work - guess what the pipework is a series of angular bends and it has the wrong silencer/tail pipe fitted. I pointed this out and was told to see how I got on with the system and any problems and they would be sorted. On the journey home my ears nearly start bleeding as it is was too LOUD, I told Charlie I wanted a medium noise silencer because the S202 has no sound proofing. The following Monday speak to Charlie again and tell him what I think of his exhaust and him.

Sorry I overstated when I had three return visits, it was two but three visits in total to sort out a schoolboy error - I work in the motor trade and if a gasket/joint of any description is removed then it is always renewed.

Needless to say I would not recommend Prospeed to anyone again.

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 13 July 2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 13 July 2010, 06:47 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

.......and should of said buy secondhand and save a small fortune
Old 13 July 2010, 07:41 PM
Lisa 515
Scooby Regular

Thats the one Cannon Fodder, he only had a back box but sounded nice, not too loud etc, oh dear...mixed reviews, thanks folks lol...perhaps might get one from scoobyparts or somewhere else and get someone to fit it
Old 13 July 2010, 08:27 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Lisa you should come to a meet if possible before you buy one... that way you can have a look at what everyone else has it will give you a better idea maybe on what your looking for.... second hand will save you a fortune, half price at least then you can drop a wanted or just watch and see what comes along.

As the guys will confirm an exhaust is not for life even if it's stainless as no doubt you will change it more than once like the rest of us lol I think I'm on number 5 and very happy now this one's staying !!

P1 back box
Afterburner Vortex
Ninja
Magnex
Finally HKS Mid and rear.... spot on.

Last edited by Silver Scooby Sport; 13 July 2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 13 July 2010, 08:49 PM
Lisa 515
Scooby Regular

I think a meet is in order then..got so many questions lol x
Old 13 July 2010, 09:05 PM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

Do what I did, make your own.

Lol.

And it glows in the dark????
Old 13 July 2010, 09:18 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYL 4N

Lol.

Does it take batteries as well?
Old 13 July 2010, 09:20 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Lol.

Lika giant Cigar Lighter
Old 13 July 2010, 09:21 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

I think a meet is in order then..got so many questions lol x
it's your best option.
Old 13 July 2010, 09:22 PM
redwards
Scooby Regular

Lol.

Got any pics?
Old 13 July 2010, 09:34 PM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

Think of a focus WRC. Then you'll get the picture.
Old 13 July 2010, 09:46 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

as said I've had plenty on the scoobs. I'm on my 6th!!!

Tried all different sizes and makes. Currently using an Hayward and scott, Only because it came on the car and is a custom made 3.5" internal diameter. I only have one other exhaust I can swap this too (an APS 3.5")

You need to have a look at three things when it comes to quality: Thickness of stainless steal, Chromium content and the quality of the welds.

The thicker the material is a no brainer

Some system are classed as stainless steal but have a very low Chromium content which means they will not last as long, tarnish very quickly, discolour and will corode in places. This is what the cheaper chinese system you get off ebay are made of.

Some system are hand welded others are done by machine, the hand welded ones have a mass of weld instead of super fine, ultra neat welds

Take SSS advise, don't buy until you've seen/heard some, pop along to the next meet to see some
Old 13 July 2010, 09:46 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Blast this Firefox and the IB rubbish double posting
Old 13 July 2010, 11:32 PM
ryan33hks
Scooby Regular

Think blue dragoon still has a prospeed built exhaust for sale. Not sure if it will fit or not though
Old 14 July 2010, 09:18 AM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

Old 14 July 2010, 10:33 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan33hks
Think blue dragoon still has a prospeed built exhaust for sale. Not sure if it will fit or not though
Ry, it's provisionally sold.

Lisa, just my tuppence. Like Danny I have had a few Scoobs over the last few years, Classic, two bugeyes, JDM Legacy, Foggy STi and now back to a Classic.

Right then, had a Ninja on my first Classic but it was a bit loud. Subaru WR Sport back box on the Bugeyes and it was lovely, good burble and well built but it started to show it's age after a year or two.

The Legacy had twin STI Genome pipes awesome. build quality was excellent, but very expensive to buy (even second hand). The Foggy had a Full Milltek system, great noise, very expensive but they tarnish very quickly.

I had a Prospeed but I was never quite happy with it on my current Classic, so back to Ninja but a version 2 this time. Build quality is excellent, good noise and you can hear the radio at full chat. I bought it with a bung because of the stables where I live but at idle and slow speed it's quiet enough without it.

Hope your head is not to shot through.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 14 July 2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 14 July 2010, 03:58 PM
Lisa 515
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
Hope your head is not to shot through.
YESSSS it is
Old 15 July 2010, 02:58 AM
chunksta
Scooby Newbie

mines a innovit backbox s/s sounds quite nice not 2 loud, are you janines sister?

Quick Reply: exhaust