Notices

Affordable Mapping?

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2010, 01:56 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Affordable Mapping?

The time has come where I need to think about mapping the car, Its still pretty much standard Turbo 2000 Version 6 but would like to know what routes I can go down before I purchase supporting mods.

What options are available as i've heard so many different things about mapping the uk spec classic and see prices vary drastically.

Also would you consider mapping the car with just an aftermarket filter, equal length manifold and a 3" turbo back system if in the near future I plan on a different Turbo and a few other toys?

Cheers Guys.
Old 07 July 2010, 02:31 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

ecutek is by far your best option, i wouldn;t touch open source if you paid me, too may horror stories and no vetting of mappers. also i wouldn't use a traveling road mapper, only a place where the mapper has workshop backup.
Old 07 July 2010, 05:00 PM
STI Glenn
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Bob Rawle top man
Old 07 July 2010, 05:06 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
ecutek is by far your best option, i wouldn;t touch open source if you paid me, too may horror stories and no vetting of mappers. also i wouldn't use a traveling road mapper, only a place where the mapper has workshop backup.
To be honest I totally disagree with what has been stated above - would you like to tell us why you disregard the likes of Bob Rawle & JGM so easily?

I have used Bob twice for mapping and have received good service from him as has others that used his services on a recent group buy that I organised. JGM again has a very good reputation and both are considered to be amongst the best in the business.

Also Duncan from Dynamix has a lot of very satisfied customers as well and in place of Ecutek he uses open source software, perhaps you could quantify your comments with facts.

Ryan, as long as you go with a reputable mapper like those mentioned above you will not go too far long, having used Bob I would recommend him from first hand experience.

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 07 July 2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07 July 2010, 05:22 PM
The Stitcher
Scooby Senior

Old 07 July 2010, 05:31 PM
micaredwrx
Scooby Regular

i wouldn;t touch open source if you paid me, too may horror stories
Any examples? Or is this from first hand experience
Old 07 July 2010, 05:45 PM
wayner845
Scooby Regular

I have had 5 maps from Bob Rawle as my mods have progressed and he is always on the Ball.He will also advise you on what you need according to what your after and answer all the questions you have during mapping.Probably best not to distract to much whilst he's doing the map though.My first map was on a 1999 turbo 2000 with tubular headers full decat exhaust'n upipe etc ,k+n panel filter and a walbro fp.297bhp and 315 torque things on normal fuel ,not bad for a td04.
Old 07 July 2010, 06:10 PM
stucooper
Scooby Regular

hi ive got a 95 wrx import ive heard you cant re map them is this true cheers
Old 07 July 2010, 06:16 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stucooper
I believe that they can be mapped with the aid of a daughter board (added onto the original ECU motherboard), I am no expert on this though so it might be worth checking with the likes of Bob Rawle, JGM, Enginetuner, Dynamix etc.
Old 07 July 2010, 07:17 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know that tidgy has the best intentions but he is tarring all mappers with the bad experience of a couple of his friends with those two cowboys that were reselling stolen maps and loading them onto cars without really understanding what they were doing.

Then also to lead the argument against road mapping on the whole is very misleading IMO. Does that mean that Andy F or Bob Rawle or JGM or Andy Carr or etc etc don't know what they are doing? of course not. Cars are driven in the real world and even a car mapped in the dyno still has to be tested on the road as they behave differently. I map on both road and dyno and love them both but I have to say that I and most if my customers prefer the results in driveability terms from road mapping. Dyno tuning has it's place for sure but unless you know what you are doing then neither will be any good (regardless of what software you use)

As far as the OP is concerned there is only ecutek or an aftermarket ecu. Open source will not do 99-00.
Old 07 July 2010, 07:42 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by stucooper
The STD ecu can be remapped using an ESL daughterboard. This allows full set up of all the boost, fueling and ignition timing.

Would be worth fitting a later map sensor so that more than 1.1 bar of boost can be run though.
Old 07 July 2010, 10:17 PM
WRX RCY
Scooby Regular

Back on topic. Ryan I would definitely get your ecu mapped. You'll see a big different. It also depends on your plans. If you went for an aftermarket ECU then:-
Apexi are good and the commander is very useful for fault finding & monitoring your engine
Simtek is another good ECU which gives you the anti-lag and launch control
Solaris is the best but a lot expensive that the other (£1500) but it does absolutely everything (anti-lag, launch control, nitro control, wet injection, 5th injector and probable a lot more)
Old 07 July 2010, 11:01 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

the simple fact is you cannot map a car legally on the road, speeds required are too high, and does a road mapper have public liability insurance to do so? thats the crux of it.

any common or garden person can go and download opensource and map, no skills required, on one of the other foums im on 5 people had engines go pop due to a local company to the midlands during or caused by bad mapping. Also how reliable is the program? what support does the mapper get from the developers?

road mappers tend not to have workshop support and dont carry around spares, like mafs ect etc.

i don't mean traveling mappers i mean people who map soley on road. most traveling mappers map at diffrernet workshops, i use pat herborn, hes a traveling mapper. i see that as a difference.

o also to add i have no issue with esl for earlier cars, i just think open source is entirely to easy to take shortcuts legally
Old 07 July 2010, 11:12 PM
scooby1929
Scooby Regular

You saying you have never driven your Subaru over the speed limit then??

The safest option is to use one of the experienced mappers. The 5 people who went to a local company simply should not of went there. You cant just let anyone play about with the ECU.
Old 07 July 2010, 11:34 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

the simple fact is you cannot map a car legally on the road, speeds required are too high, and does a road mapper have public liability insurance to do so? thats the crux of it.

any common or garden person can go and download opensource and map, no skills required, on one of the other foums im on 5 people had engines go pop due to a local company to the midlands during or caused by bad mapping. Also how reliable is the program? what support does the mapper get from the developers?

road mappers tend not to have workshop support and dont carry around spares, like mafs ect etc.

i don't mean traveling mappers i mean people who map soley on road. most traveling mappers map at diffrernet workshops, i use pat herborn, hes a traveling mapper. i see that as a difference.

o also to add i have no issue with esl for earlier cars, i just think open source is entirely to easy to take shortcuts legally
I think that your argument about open source is soured by the bad experience suffered by 5 other people, when I am paying for a mapping session I am paying for the skills of the mapper plus the software that they use.

There are a lot of very satisfied open source map customers who have been mapped by the likes of Dynamix, as I have stated previously Bob has mapped my cars with Ecutek software but if he used open source I would be just as happy.

There can be poor maps installed by mappers who use licenced software as well, how much did these 5 people pay for the mapping sessions?

Also when I have had my mapped by Bob it has been done in an environment where I have been entirely comfortable and I have been in total control; I would not risk my safety or anyone elses by driving like a loon.
Old 07 July 2010, 11:40 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
how much did these 5 people pay for the mapping sessions?
That 'company' were offering reflashes at £90 iirc. These were off the shelf maps - where they got the off the shelf maps from I have no idea but I have my suspicions.
Old 08 July 2010, 12:13 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
That 'company' were offering reflashes at £90 iirc. These were off the shelf maps - where they got the off the shelf maps from I have no idea but I have my suspicions.
Well then did they expect a top notch service from some back street operation with no experience and a laptop?

I would never take my car to an operation offering cheap maps based upon generic or downloaded maps, every car even with the same components fitted will be different. As I have said before it is all in the skill of the mapper and how they interpret and setup the ECU.

Like the expression goes "pay peanuts and get monkeys".
Old 08 July 2010, 12:18 AM
scotty44
Scooby Regular

Has this anything to do with the OP + have you ever gone over 77 mph ?

Does a good mapper need the help from the developers this far down the line

Im 100% that the good mappers about will carry spares with them like mafs etc...
Just IMO ..... But I am a fan of OS mapping, it saves £££ and gets the same results IMO - well Im happy with my map anyway from Duncan
PS I have had tek maps before so used both
Old 08 July 2010, 08:27 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

not sure wher eyou got £90 from duncan? wasn't nearly as cheap as that in reality.

mappers fairly often speak to developers, theres always glitches, odd querks and also software updates commign out for all programs, not even microsoft can get it 100% perfect even throwing billions at software development.

i do agree that an open source mapper doesn't always mean a bad mapper, its just alot easier to come across cowboys if you go down that route.

as far as the speed limit thing, i not saying you don't, but personaly i wouldn't like to have to break to law to get a proper job. Also lets say your driving your car while mapping it, you get it wrong and have a smash, someone gets hurt, police attend. the person you've hit make s aclaim against you, insurance comapny find out about the mapping, bang your own insurance is null and void and your in major trouble.

public liability insurance would cover the comapny mapping, if they have it. I'd be interested in how many road mappers actualy have this, i;d be surprised if many due to the nature of it. i wouldn't like to be driving without insurance
Old 08 July 2010, 09:29 AM
ozzreid1964
Scooby Regular

well i've had 2 subarus mapped by bob rawle and he does a fantastic job number 3 will be going to him in the near future
Old 08 July 2010, 11:32 AM
baz995
Scooby Regular

Duncan mapped mine and did an amazing job, best money i have spent in my 8 years of owning jap cars. Would highly recommend him, i dont mind the speed as when he maps mine next it will be on a 2 mile runway, yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 08 July 2010, 04:36 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time