Notices

Remaps

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2009, 09:45 PM
tomski2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remaps

Hi Just looking for some advice about remaps.
I have just had a full decat fitted to my 2002 wrx and understand to get the best from it I need to have the car remapped. Problem is the prices I have seen for these remaps. £550-£650 seem to be the norm. Are there any places in South Wales that can do them at a better price?
Cheers Andrew.
Old 19 October 2009, 09:47 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

thats the going rate for a decent mapper using ecutek software, anyone else will be using freeware software. any cheaper and it could also possibly be a generic map which you def dont want
Old 19 October 2009, 10:05 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

There are a number of mappers who I would consider using Bob Rawle, Jolly Green Monster and Andy Forrest.

I myself have used Bob Rawle who remapped my last Impreza and I am going to him in December to remap my S202.

Cheaper is not always best but there are two of us going to Bob shortly from the South Wales area so if you are interested I can approach him to see if he can do us a group deal.
Old 19 October 2009, 10:14 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob Rawle is only about 1hr 20mins from cardiff. for £650 you are buying the ecutek software licence and buying the mapping time/expertise and the 'experience' of mapping your car on the road with Bob.
Andrew - I'm in Cardiff and have owned two imprezas over the past 5 years and i would not let anyone locally go anywhere near my ecu!!

Tidgy - you've strayed quite a way from you normal haunt on dot org, this forum is a local shop for local people! - lol

Andrew
Old 19 October 2009, 10:18 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by apac
Bob Rawle is only about 1hr 20mins from cardiff. for £650 you are buying the ecutek software licence and buying the mapping time/expertise and the 'experience' of mapping your car on the road with Bob.
Andrew - I'm in Cardiff and have owned two imprezas over the past 5 years and i would not let anyone locally go anywhere near my ecu!!

Tidgy - you've strayed quite a way from you normal haunt on dot org, this forum is a local shop for local people! - lol

Andrew
At least he didn't have to pay to come over the bridge
Old 19 October 2009, 10:22 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rally fan 555
At least he didn't have to pay to come over the bridge
yeah, the magic of modern technology,,, hopefully it will help keep 'em all out
Old 20 October 2009, 08:44 PM
tomski2
Scooby Regular

Hi, Do you know what sort of money Bob charges or would charge if a few of us went up?
Andrew
Old 20 October 2009, 11:10 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tomski2
Hi, Do you know what sort of money Bob charges or would charge if a few of us went up?
Andrew
I am emailing Bob shortly, so I will see what he can do for us.
Old 21 October 2009, 08:33 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by apac

Andrew

lol, im not quiet as much of a post ***** on here

Old 21 October 2009, 09:38 AM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Don't discount Open Source remaps. Your EcuTek remap is only as good as the mapper that's doing it. It's also done on the road, and with equal care an attention when done correctly. Done properly by an experienced mapper an Open Source remap is as good as any EcuTek remap...FACT!!

Not to mention Open Source tuning doesn't lock out your ECU to anything other than Open Source unlike EcuTek. Open Source remaps are open to scrutiny by any mapper with any compatible newage remap software worldwide. Open Source remappers have nothing to hide so if you're an EcuTek dealer and you want to use my remap as your base map then as far as i'm concerned that's a compliment.

These are the facts!!

HTH
Old 21 October 2009, 11:37 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What is the cost of Open Source mapping?
Old 21 October 2009, 11:54 AM
uk300bake
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobiewrx555
Don't discount Open Source remaps. Your EcuTek remap is only as good as the mapper that's doing it. It's also done on the road, and with equal care an attention when done correctly. Done properly by an experienced mapper an Open Source remap is as good as any EcuTek remap...FACT!!

Not to mention Open Source tuning doesn't lock out your ECU to anything other than Open Source unlike EcuTek. Open Source remaps are open to scrutiny by any mapper with any compatible newage remap software worldwide. Open Source remappers have nothing to hide so if you're an EcuTek dealer and you want to use my remap as your base map then as far as i'm concerned that's a compliment.

These are the facts!!

HTH
With you on that, there are a lot of mappers out there who use both ECUTEK and open source it all depends what the end user wants in the end.
try www.open-mapping.co.uk they use open source and also have access to a ecutek mapper etc. One of the guys floats about the country a fair bit so you may be able to hook up with him.
Do a search on the net there are a lot of open-source places about ;-)
Old 21 October 2009, 02:00 PM
tomski2
Scooby Regular

Hi Thanks for the info, trouble is this is all way over my head now.
So from what I can work out an open map can do the same for my car as the ecutek, give or take 10/15bhp for £150 instead of £550-£650?
Cheers, Andrew
Old 21 October 2009, 05:21 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
What is the cost of Open Source mapping?
Open Source remap will cost anything between £350-£450+VAT. If the tuner has to come out to you there will be a travel charge/cost to pay but even with that it still works out cheaper than EcuTek.

There are one or two mappers about providing a mobile service so they come to you, alternatively you can go to them. Have a look on eBay

Last edited by scoobiewrx555; 21 October 2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 21 October 2009, 05:31 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Hi Thanks for the info, trouble is this is all way over my head now.
So from what I can work out an open map can do the same for my car as the ecutek, give or take 10/15bhp for £150 instead of £550-£650?
Cheers, Andrew
Yes, open source remapping is as good as EcuTek, remember it's purely down to the mapper, period!! It won't be give or take 10/15bhp, it doesn't work like that. Two identical mappers mapping the same car, one with Open Source and the other with EcuTek.....power output from both maps should be pretty damn close!!

If you're charged £150 for an open source remap....run away like the wind!! No self respecting open source mapper worth his salt would charge £150. If they do then go Ecutek instead because at £150 they won't know what they are doing!!
Old 21 October 2009, 05:32 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I have been in touch with Bob and he will do a group deal if we can get 3 people booked in for getting their cars mapped.
Old 21 October 2009, 05:42 PM
Dragonman
Scooby Regular

If there was a space there could I come
Old 21 October 2009, 05:55 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dragonman
If there was a space there could I come
You are more than welcome , below is a link to Bobs contact information and his website, I suggest that you contact him via e-mail as PM'ing him would add delays.

https://www.scoobynet.com/traders-co...elopments.html

BRDevelopments

When you contact Bob give him your vehicle details, what modifications you have done/planned (or just state if the vehicle is standard with no modifications planned) and what level of performance you are aiming for, mention that you have been put onto him by Tyron with reference to a group deal.
Old 21 October 2009, 09:22 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

p.s. nobody seems to have pointed out that having a full decat on your wrx (I believe this version, a 2002, has 3 cats normally) is not really advisable without having it remapped at the same time.

Old 21 October 2009, 09:58 PM
"Taylor"
Scooby Regular

What discount has Bob offered you Ty? I might be interested in this, going to need mine doing soon.
Old 21 October 2009, 10:27 PM
tomski2
Scooby Regular

Just been in touch with Bob and booked mine in .
Thanks Tyrone for sortin the group buy.
Bob has come back with a great price.
Cheers Andrew
Old 21 October 2009, 10:37 PM
valley commando
Scooby Senior

BOB all the way for me guys
the only mapper that i would let near my car
Old 22 October 2009, 01:33 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by "Taylor"
What discount has Bob offered you Ty? I might be interested in this, going to need mine doing soon.
I am waiting for Bob to email me back Taylor, I will mention to him that we might now have 4 peeps - 3 definite 1 interested and see what he comes back with.

Just been in touch with Bob and booked mine in .
Thanks Tyrone for sortin the group buy.
Bob has come back with a great price.
Cheers Andrew
No problems glad to be of help.

Originally Posted by valley commando
BOB all the way for me guys
the only mapper that i would let near my car
Same for me too.
Old 23 October 2009, 05:17 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Bob has been in touch and he can do a new Ecutek remap for £400 + vat inc licence which means at present it would be £460.00 which is quite a saving on the normal price of around £600 including VAT. Plus of course any further mapping sessions would be cheaper as you pay for the Ecutek licence in the cost of the first mapping.

If you already have an Ecutek map and licence on your car then obviously you would benefit from a lower charge for the mapping providing that you can obtain the licence/unlock code (if I remember correctly) from the previous mapper if not Bob.

There are 3 presently booked in for mapping myself, Rally Fan 555 and tomski2 - the mapping will be done in the Swindon area which is only around 1 hour (or less on the way back ) from Cardiff on the M4.

I would imagine he could travel to you but again please contact him to discuss travelling costs etc. or if enough are interested in the same area then please contact him to discuss.

Please contact Bob if you are interested and arrange dates with him directly, it looks like he has free slots on the 4th,5th,11th and 12th of December at present. You could arrange dates after this but remember that the VAT rate will go back up in 2010. He may well have dates before this but these are the dates he has given me for my mapping session.

He can obviously map Simtek, Motec etc. but please contact him directly for further information and costings.

I have started a list below of people below with interested/confirmed bookings.

1. Cannon Fodder confirmed
2. Rally Fan 555 confirmed
3. tomski2 confirmed

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 23 October 2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 23 October 2009, 05:28 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Default GB question

A question too which I would not mind some answers:

TBH honest I don't really have the time to run a GB and would prefer that people contact Bob directly and arrange dates and times etc. but who has run a GB and how much work did it involve?

I am more than happy to help people to obtain a good saving but I do not want it to take over my life either.
Old 23 October 2009, 09:17 PM
Nolan_WRX
Scooby Regular

I might just get in on this as i have a issue with surge and bob has been highly recomended as the person to see about it.
will send him an email and add my name to the list if all is well.
Good timing with this GB Ty
Old 23 October 2009, 11:41 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nolan_WRX
I might just get in on this as i have a issue with surge and bob has been highly recomended as the person to see about it.
will send him an email and add my name to the list if all is well.
Good timing with this GB Ty
If anyone can sort it out for you it would be Bob , top man and he even put up with my driving.
Old 24 October 2009, 06:10 AM
SCHOLESY17
Scooby Newbie

hi it might be a stupid question but can anyone tell me if you decat your new age and remap will it pass an mot ok or do you have to put it all back to standard
Old 26 October 2009, 02:01 PM
Nolan_WRX
Scooby Regular

Mine passes with just a 100cell sport cat in the downpipe, but not likely with no cats at all.
Old 26 October 2009, 11:49 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I have now posted this offer/group buy in the Group Buy section of the Marketplace section of Scoobynet, please post any bookings up on that thread as per the link below.

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...group-buy.html

Quick Reply: Remaps