Notices

Can anyone shed any light?

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2009, 08:14 AM
Gav_UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone shed any light?

I recently purchased Mark's (MP24) car but unfortunately yesterday I had a problem starting it. After driving to football I couldn't lock the car using the key fob so I locked it manually. When I finished football I came back to the car opened manually and pressed fob hoping the car would start.

Unfortunately the car wouldn't. I got a mate to come and rescue me with some new batteries for the fob as I thought this could be the problem but still no joy.

He eventually had to tow me home and I bump started it and got it going. However when I pressed the accelerator it would just die causing me to think it is definitely the immobiliser Has anyone had this happen before and how did you sort it? Thanks.
Old 08 September 2009, 08:31 AM
esp ltd
Scooby Regular

I had this problem a few months back with a version 7 WRX i was selling. I'd had it cleaned but steamed the engine myself, the same thing, no remote locking/unlocking and it wouldn't start. I called the chap who fits my alarms and he ended up removing the alarm system as it had died, thankfully it wasn't due to washing just a coincidence.
You may find you'll need to remove it and either go without or replace the alarm. Another thought, if the remote is working now your fuel pump may have gone down? You could try bypassing the immobilser by running a live directly from the battery to the pump. I've done this by taking out the bottom of the back seats and linking in to the flat plug on the drivers side rather than blowing my eyebrows off on the pump itself ) Give me a call on 07810 098199 if you'd like a better explanation.
Dave.

Last edited by esp ltd; 08 September 2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08 September 2009, 10:05 AM
Ringer4fun
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gav_UK
I recently purchased Mark's (MP24) car but unfortunately yesterday I had a problem starting it. After driving to football I couldn't lock the car using the key fob so I locked it manually. When I finished football I came back to the car opened manually and pressed fob hoping the car would start.

Unfortunately the car wouldn't. I got a mate to come and rescue me with some new batteries for the fob as I thought this could be the problem but still no joy.

He eventually had to tow me home and I bump started it and got it going. However when I pressed the accelerator it would just die causing me to think it is definitely the immobiliser Has anyone had this happen before and how did you sort it? Thanks.
Were you had been parked did you notice any phone/microwave antenna`s, as there is an issue with the RF freqency that the key fob/transponder uses on 99/00 uk cars, (had the same problem when I had mine) also if it has a tracker fitted, both parties need to contact them, as the car would be used outside the agreement as setup by the previous owner, this may or may not help, just a thought its info you should be made aware of..

John
Old 08 September 2009, 11:30 AM
notfub
Scooby Regular

Off the top of my head......

Did you try using the pin number on the keypad in the glovebox to un-immobilise the car?
Do you have two keyfobs? Try the second one (obvious I know).
You may need to re-associate the keyfobs with the immobiliser to get them re-sync'd again. Have a search, the instructions are on scoobynet somewhere mate.

HTH
Old 08 September 2009, 11:56 AM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

It's the alarm

In 99 the govement agreed they used a certain frequency for the all car alarms, I think it something like 33.03 Htz.

In 2001ish the govenment changed things and awarded the emergancy services (Fire, police or ambulance stations)with a new fequency which is something like 33.00Htz, becuase their radio transmitters are stronger than the car's and it's so close it over rides the system.

Most 99 cars with a decent alarm system had this problem, BMW's Merc's Etc, Sigma did a sheild for the Alarm ECU which should of been done on a recall, But I know plenty of cars that never received this including my own.

As said you should of been able to use the keypad in the glove box providing you have the pin. If not Subaru dealer will change this for you, only takes about 5 minutes and simpsons of swindon didn't charge me for it.

Last edited by DannyBoy007; 08 September 2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08 September 2009, 02:33 PM
mp24
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear you haven't got the problem sorted.
I owned the car three and a half years without a single problem.
It has a navtrak fitted but I stopped the subscription over two years ago.
Old 08 September 2009, 02:48 PM
Gav_UK
Scooby Regular

That's ok Mark. Sod's law so they say

I have spoken to my mechanic mate who rescued me last night and given him the advice given to me by esp ltd. He is going to try "bypassing the immobilser by running a live directly from the battery to the pump" this afternoon.

Do you have the keypad code mate just in case that doesn't work? If not hopefully running the live will cure it and it shouldn't be too expensive!

Trending Topics

Old 08 September 2009, 03:46 PM
Ringer4fun
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gav_UK
That's ok Mark. Sod's law so they say

I have spoken to my mechanic mate who rescued me last night and given him the advice given to me by esp ltd. He is going to try "bypassing the immobilser by running a live directly from the battery to the pump" this afternoon.

Do you have the keypad code mate just in case that doesn't work? If not hopefully running the live will cure it and it shouldn't be too expensive!
NOT A GOOD IDEA MATE, YOU HAVE JUST TOLD THE WHOLE WORLD WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Get it sorted propperly, your insurance company will throw the book at you.

John
Old 08 September 2009, 04:16 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

have you tried the car now???? Ie locking with the fob etc

The first time I had it happen, I had to get a tow 500 yards down the road and the fob worked again (This was beacuse the previous owner had changed the code and not written it on the slip with pin code)

I wouldn't try by-passing anything, but it isn't my car and you can do what you like

Last edited by DannyBoy007; 08 September 2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08 September 2009, 04:31 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
It's the alarm

In 99 the govement agreed they used a certain frequency for the all car alarms, I think it something like 33.03 Htz.

In 2001ish the govenment changed things and awarded the emergancy services (Fire, police or ambulance stations)with a new fequency which is something like 33.00Htz, becuase their radio transmitters are stronger than the car's and it's so close it over rides the system.

Most 99 cars with a decent alarm system had this problem, BMW's Merc's Etc, Sigma did a sheild for the Alarm ECU which should of been done on a recall, But I know plenty of cars that never received this including my own.

As said you should of been able to use the keypad in the glove box providing you have the pin. If not Subaru dealer will change this for you, only takes about 5 minutes and simpsons of swindon didn't charge me for it.
This happened to me at the Village Hotel on J32 M4 with my UK WRX Wagon, Subaru fitted Sigma Alarm.

Moved the car behind the building and BINGO. The traffic management control centre is just on the roundabout. Antennae's and phone masts everywhere.
Old 08 September 2009, 05:06 PM
mp24
Scooby Regular

I don't have the bypass code, have a look if it is in the books in the leather binder if there is anything i there.
If you don't find it i am willing to buy the car back off you
Old 08 September 2009, 05:14 PM
Gav_UK
Scooby Regular

I tried it again when I got back to his house last night and it still didn't start. He did the bypass this afternoon and now all is well - turns out it was the immobiliser.

I will now get a top quality alarm for it this weekend. Can anyone recommend one that they have or a company I could use that is local? Thanks.
Old 08 September 2009, 05:17 PM
Gav_UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mp24
If you don't find it i am willing to buy the car back off you
Are you mad! I would be happy just looking at it all day
Old 08 September 2009, 07:13 PM
mp24
Scooby Regular

It's worth a try
I rushed in too quick selling it,and now regret it
Old 08 September 2009, 11:01 PM
valley commando
Scooby Senior

silly question but have you put a new battery in the fob? if not do that 1st.
or check your fuses
i remember getting rescued from asda and it was the mother of all nights and all it was was a fuse blown.
this happened because i pressed the alarm fob and had the other on the imobilizer at the same time
Old 09 September 2009, 10:58 AM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

Gwent car sounds in newport fitted my clifford on the type r they were very good but expensive and iv heard good things about moving sounds in newport and then youv got sextons in cardiff.
Old 09 September 2009, 11:15 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sexton's by Ninian Park have gone up the ying yang Daz.
Old 09 September 2009, 05:00 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

has it is that recent then thats a shock.
Old 09 September 2009, 07:13 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

had that problem once place a piece of paper folded on top of the battery spring so when you screw the back back on you have a tight fitting of the battery worked for m when both my fobs were playing up i noticed once when i opened up the hole fob thay can come abit loose inside
Old 09 September 2009, 07:41 PM
notfub
Scooby Regular

Good point amego . Pull the springs apart a little after dissasembly to put more pressure on the battery connection on refitting.

There is also a way of resetting the PIN on the keypad if you don't know it but do have a working keyfob without a trip to the dealer BTW.
Old 10 September 2009, 09:16 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Pm sent mate with instructions how to change your pin code!
Old 11 September 2009, 08:41 AM
esp ltd
Scooby Regular

We use a good VSIB certified fitter who is mobile if you want his number? This is the guy who sorted out one of our cars with the same problem, no need to thank me for the battery to pump advice
Dave.
Old 12 September 2009, 04:09 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

any update on this yet?