Notices

Heat shield help please!

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2009, 05:16 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Heat shield help please!

i have a rattle coming from the engine bay and i am pretty sure it is one of the heat shields but i cant work out which one so i am going to try to take them off one at a time then test it. What i need is a diagram or pictures of the locations and fixings of all the shields in the engine bay.

If anyone has any or a link to a helpful site it would be very helpful

One thing i do know is its not the turbo heat shield though, one down, god knows how many to go

Since i am getting my hands dirty, would it be worth wrapping the exhaust while under the car or is it not possible while its on the car?

Thanks in advance peeps
Ian
Old 25 May 2009, 06:11 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ian, wrap it when its off.

"The 06 WRX has a unique exhaust in that it's downpipe is both the downpipe and catpipe sections."

Here's a Milltek verson.

Old 25 May 2009, 09:07 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I note you are'nt tackling the turbo heat shield, not sure if they are the same bolts for the other shields, but when I tried to get my turbo one off, the top bolt just sheard off with very little force - I gave up after 1, as didn't want to damage the others - give the bolts a good soak in something first..........release oil or something.
Old 25 May 2009, 10:01 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

To be honest guys I think its the norm for the boilts to snap its happened to me on mine and its still rattling for me i hink its gonna be a case of remove the exhaust fully and then cut the sheilds off and re- fit or upgrade the exhaust
Old 26 May 2009, 03:07 PM
"Taylor"
Scooby Regular

I had the same prob Ian, took me ages to track it down as it only occassionally rattled. The usual culprit is the heat sheild for the headers, as it was with mine. The spot welds break then they rattle. Just removed mine and left it off with no ill effects at all.
Old 26 May 2009, 10:59 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Thanks for the advice so far lads. Sounds like it could be a bigger job than i thought. I may have to wait for the next service and have Indigo-GT take a look at it and get the exhaust off, then i can wrap it at the same time
Old 27 May 2009, 12:38 PM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

you will need to take it off to get at all the bolts but as said they will 99% snap you would be better off buying some s/s headers and fitting them instead (much lighter and more bhp)
i have changed my headers and the weight diff is unbelivable, i didnt wrap mine as ive been told it can sumtimes cause more probs than its worth, an ive had no probs with them,
Old 27 May 2009, 12:51 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by newport_white_scooby
you will need to take it off to get at all the bolts but as said they will 99% snap you would be better off buying some s/s headers and fitting them instead (much lighter and more bhp)
i have changed my headers and the weight diff is unbelivable, i didnt wrap mine as ive been told it can sumtimes cause more probs than its worth, an ive had no probs with them,
hey mate what are the pros and cons to wrapping the headers?
Old 27 May 2009, 01:42 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Heat soak into the engine bay is the main reason for wrapping the headers or fitting a heat shield. Heat feeding back into the engine bay will effect intake temperatures especially if your running a CAIK in the engine bay, hot air is bad, cold dense air is good.

You can get away with it by fitting the cone into the wing and then putting ducting from the fog cover.

You always get a better BHP and Torque when you remap in the winter. hot air is thinner and not as dense as cold.
Old 27 May 2009, 03:44 PM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

what that man said lol
Old 27 May 2009, 11:05 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

More to think about then

Having read through Lee's project 2.5 rebuild, maybe i should be a little more brave when it comes to working on the car and just start getting stuck in myself. It will save me some money, headers look pretty simple to change too
Old 27 May 2009, 11:35 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Ian, I have access to a full workshop, ramps and pit in work. I can normally get in on the weekends if you want to get stuff done?

Drop me a PM. This weekend is no good though, moving back in to my house and JTS now work as been cancelled.
Old 27 May 2009, 11:49 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
Ian, I have access to a full workshop, ramps and pit in work. I can normally get in on the weekends if you want to get stuff done?

Drop me a PM. This weekend is no good though, moving back in to my house and JTS now work as been cancelled.
Cheers for the offer Ian mate, i will 100% take you up on it as soon as i have some spare time myself, this rattle is driving me insane!!

Be carefull though mate, i could have the car in bits given half a chance, its been a while since i got my hands dirty and i have been missing it
Old 28 May 2009, 08:34 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

It's OK. Lately I have done..............

Fitted two pots and new bigger discs to the rear
New front discs
Removed, stripped and painted the calipers
Fitted mudflaps
New door cards
New centre consul sprayed and fitted
Stripped, cleaned and painted the radiator shrouds
Fitted new alloy rear drop links
Fitted a new CD player
New steering wheel
Waxoyled the underside
New ARB's front and rear
Taken out and refitted the new IC three times
Had a new exhaust fitted
New exhaust bushes
Detangoed
Another few months and I'll be sorted.........................................rea lly, honest, all enhancements will be finished
Old 28 May 2009, 09:45 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Heat soak into the engine bay is the main reason for wrapping the headers or fitting a heat shield. Heat feeding back into the engine bay will effect intake temperatures especially if your running a CAIK in the engine bay, hot air is bad, cold dense air is good.

You can get away with it by fitting the cone into the wing and then putting ducting from the fog cover.

You always get a better BHP and Torque when you remap in the winter. hot air is thinner and not as dense as cold.
cheers dude I feel a bit of a tit for asking that beacause its a common sence answer I just thought that there might have been other reasons for it aswell as stopping heat soak.

what are the cons of it though apart from cost?
sorry for my ignorance lol but what is CAIK?
still a newbie to scoobs having had all naturally aspirated cars before
Old 28 May 2009, 10:51 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Cold Air Induction Kit
One of these, in my old Foggy.

This is by Zero Sport version.

It replaces the standard air box. You can mount the cone inside the wing but you have to remove the resonator ( more plastic bits ). It gives a good whooshing noise and is less restrictive than the long normal induction system.
Old 29 May 2009, 06:33 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...d-headers.html

Ian, have a look at this.
Old 29 May 2009, 09:32 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Cold Air Induction Kit
One of these, in my old Foggy.

This is by Zero Sport version.

It replaces the standard air box. You can mount the cone inside the wing but you have to remove the resonator ( more plastic bits ). It gives a good whooshing noise and is less restrictive than the long normal induction system.
Just sold my Blitz induction Kit its ruined my maf sensor so thats a no no cheers though dude
Old 29 May 2009, 09:51 PM
ryan33hks
Scooby Regular

So what are the disadvantages of wrapping the headers?
Old 30 May 2009, 01:15 AM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

you cant see the nice shiney stainless steel for one.....
Old 30 May 2009, 03:19 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by NudgeJ
Just sold my Blitz induction Kit its ruined my maf sensor so thats a no no cheers though dude
Dry cones are better, the oiled ones are the culprits
Old 31 May 2009, 04:28 PM
"Taylor"
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ryan33hks
So what are the disadvantages of wrapping the headers?
Possible premature failure due to the heat, apparently they get near molten. No manufacturer guarantee's their headers when wrapped. I'll be wrapping mine, should dramatically reduce under bonnet temps.
Old 31 May 2009, 11:00 PM
ryan33hks
Scooby Regular

Cheers taylor. Looks like ill have to think about it.
Old 01 June 2009, 11:32 AM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Right Im thouroughly pissed off!

My heatshields have rusted and degraded so bad that I cant get any of them off without removing the whole lot of headers and exhaust every bolt is mangled and every time I try to sort it I get nowhere

are the gaskets reusable? Because I really dont want to spend more cash on the std exhaust when its coming off after MOT in August!
Old 01 June 2009, 09:30 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Cheers Ian.

Dont know if i will go with heat wrap if there are some downsides to it in terms of melting the headers
The car doesnt get a ragging so heat soak probably isnt going to be a major issue with my current usage of the car anyway. Just thought i would do it since i would be under there, maybe i will do it when it becomes a track car in a few years

I will drop you a PM or give you a buzz some point this week or early next week to see when i can take you up on your offer. I will take the splitter off while nosing at the heat shields too since it has to come off before i go on holidays.
Old 01 June 2009, 11:57 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Weekend 13/14 is good for me.
Old 02 June 2009, 01:03 AM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

My heatshields have rusted and degraded so bad that I cant get any of them off without removing the whole lot of headers and exhaust every bolt is mangled and every time I try to sort it I get nowhere

are the gaskets reusable? Because I really dont want to spend more cash on the std exhaust when its coming off after MOT in August!
bummer fella cold chisel the old ones off and new ones in place is the only way then, bit of a tip buy some studs as well cos guaranteed at least one will **** up,(£6 for a set on ebay)

you can use the gaskets again but i'd put **** loads off exhaust gunk over them too cos they WILL blow otherwise and thats an mot fail,
Old 02 June 2009, 09:23 AM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

bummer fella cold chisel the old ones off and new ones in place is the only way then, bit of a tip buy some studs as well cos guaranteed at least one will **** up,(£6 for a set on ebay)

you can use the gaskets again but i'd put **** loads off exhaust gunk over them too cos they WILL blow otherwise and thats an mot fail,
cheers dude

you cant even get a socket or spanner over any of the nuts/bolts after Mot Im really gonna start doing her up so dont see much point at the moment!

Im just worried now about the heat soak especialy by number 3 cylinder should they cone off
Old 02 June 2009, 05:41 PM
"Taylor"
Scooby Regular

Mine are the same, bolts heads are disintegrating. If you can't manage to get them off with a chisel, cut the sheilds off with a dremel. Bit of a pain but it'll do the trick.
Old 02 June 2009, 07:44 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by "Taylor"
Mine are the same, bolts heads are disintegrating. If you can't manage to get them off with a chisel, cut the sheilds off with a dremel. Bit of a pain but it'll do the trick.
Nice one bruv

Quick Reply: Heat shield help please!