vacuum pipes

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2009, 11:15 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vacuum pipes

hey guys.

i know that i need either 3mm or 4mm vacuum hose to start replacing some of the oem stuff,
but there is quite a few to replace and i just wanna make sure that on these cars that there is nothing to look out for. ie like the one on the turbo that has that little boost controller in it. i know i cant replace that but is there any others?

thanks in advance
Old 21 May 2009, 12:10 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

I did all mine recently and i used all 4mm

Just be careful, i did one at a time. The pipe with the restrictor in can be replaced u just need to cut the restrictor out of the orignal pipe and insert it into the new one (its only a brass insert with a 0.8mm hole through it) without the restrictor in place u will only get about 0.7bar of boost as i found out when i did mine
Old 21 May 2009, 01:02 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turboDean
I did all mine recently and i used all 4mm

Just be careful, i did one at a time. The pipe with the restrictor in can be replaced u just need to cut the restrictor out of the orignal pipe and insert it into the new one (its only a brass insert with a 0.8mm hole through it) without the restrictor in place u will only get about 0.7bar of boost as i found out when i did mine
well my mate tried that and he was running terrible over boost issues. due to the pipe expanding with heat. are all the little brass things 0.8mm holes? as i have my old one from my vf23 on at the moment as was going to put the one on for the vf35 which i now have fitted?

i had a split in my pipe the other day and i was running 3.0bar of boost which was a little bit silly. lol. all sorted now but when doing it i notice the fpr pipe had split so replaced that and thought may as well do them all while i am at it
Old 21 May 2009, 01:09 PM
The Stitcher
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mr_D
well my mate tried that and he was running terrible over boost issues. due to the pipe expanding with heat. are all the little brass things 0.8mm holes? as i have my old one from my vf23 on at the moment as was going to put the one on for the vf35 which i now have fitted?

i had a split in my pipe the other day and i was running 3.0bar of boost which was a little bit silly. lol. all sorted now but when doing it i notice the fpr pipe had split so replaced that and thought may as well do them all while i am at it
3 bar boost lets hope you never damaged anything
Old 21 May 2009, 01:13 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by catalunya 172
3 bar boost lets hope you never damaged anything

i dont think i have as i did stop driving on boost once i had noticed. i was hitting limp mode so knew something was wrong straight away. my defi goes upto 2.0bar but i was going well off the gauge and really quickly
Old 21 May 2009, 02:49 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Funnily enough I am now in possession of a red Samco ancillary hose it and will be fitting mine soon. The engine needs a good clean first.

Dean,

Have you don your induction pipes too?

I'll have a look at your engine clean up thread to see where all the hoses go.

Regards
Old 22 May 2009, 09:46 AM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
Funnily enough I am now in possession of a red Samco ancillary hose it and will be fitting mine soon. The engine needs a good clean first.

Dean,

Have you don your induction pipes too?

I'll have a look at your engine clean up thread to see where all the hoses go.

Regards
All i have changed at the moment is all the vacuum pipes, my car already has quite a lot of samco hosing on it and the induction pipe was already done when i had it.
I need to update the engine clean up thread with some up to date pics.
Old 22 May 2009, 09:51 AM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr_D

I think they are all 0.8mm as standard, if u put one with a larger hole in ur boost will be slightly lower and a small one should give slightly higher boost, so u need to use the same size that is in there when the car was mapped to maintain a safe boost level.
I chucked mine in the bin with all the old pipe work, so have used a 0.8mm welding tip and the car is now boosting exactly as it was before to 1.35bar
Old 22 May 2009, 10:48 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

well i have left my old one on that was on the vf23. thought it would be safe as this is what the car was built with.

do any of you know if anyone has a turbo water pipe spare that they might wanna get rid of. my pipe split last night and left me stranded on the side of the road while i waited for my mate(blockhead) to come and rescue me. good old piece of garden hose got me home. lol .

blue dragon are you doing all yours in red, or blue?