Notices

Bodywork/Paint Questions

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2009, 08:00 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bodywork/Paint Questions

Hello everyone, I have spent the day cleaning my car and I can not believe how badly the car bodywork is. I have a few (5-6) dings around the car which i'm thinking for having done because they looks terrible when the sun hits the car. Any ideas where I could take her in the Llanelli/Swansea area's or get them to come out to me and do it for a reasonable price.

Then there is the paintwork, Who ever had her before me and got the back end resprayed did a horrible job close up, There is loads of over spray on the bumper and it looks all dull. So after I polished her top to bottom those over sprayed parts stand out like a sore thumb. Tried using different polish's to try and get rid of them but nothing. Then there is all the stone chips on the bonnett. So my next question is where could I take her in the Llanelli/Swansea area's to have a full respray done thats going to do a good job but at a fair price.

Thanks Claire
Old 30 April 2009, 08:45 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate - there is a mobile Company in Swansea called Chip Tech, I'm thinking of having them do a scratch/dent on the Mrs's car - 01792702224, try google chip tech and have a look at the site, i tried a link but I'm crap at IT !! Hoping that helps, also Nudgej, on here looks like he knows his bodywork - theres a thread down the page, he's sorting his green classic - good luck...
Old 30 April 2009, 09:20 PM
Black-Hawk
Scooby Regular

If you go to the swansea meet on the 10th i'll take a look and give you some free advice
Old 30 April 2009, 09:24 PM
Scudy23
Scooby Regular

Why are you worrying about over spray,stone chips etc........ Your having the car fully sprayed, ask the body shop to take the dinks out for you.
Old 30 April 2009, 09:40 PM
madbeater
Scooby Regular

As said above bodyshop would sort it all out if u had respray, u would be looking at between £1500 £2000 u could get done on the cheap but wouldn't recommend it as cheaper materials would be used and they tend to weather a lot quicker and would look poo in a couple of months
Old 01 May 2009, 11:31 AM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Try the guy i use in Pontarddulais. ID auto refinishing. Ian is a top bloke and the only one id trust with my bodywork and spraying. If you want his number give me a shout. Also then if your up here i could give you a lift back home I dont think he'll be beaten on price
Old 01 May 2009, 12:01 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx287
Try the guy i use in Pontarddulais. ID auto refinishing. Ian is a top bloke and the only one id trust with my bodywork and spraying. If you want his number give me a shout. Also then if your up here i could give you a lift back home I dont think he'll be beaten on price

Ian did my mini for me and messed up big time, I had custom paint made to the exactly the colour I wanted then took the paint and the car to him. 2 weeks later I went back to get her and OH MY GOD the paint work was so patchy could see the grey undercoat in some places. Then someone had put the cap of a bottle of something on the front bumper that took the paint off and melted some of the fibre glass zeemax kit bumper. I ordered some house of colour fine glitter £100 a pot to go in the lacquer to give it a slight blue glitter tint and you could only see the glitter on the roof and bonnett. I still had to pay him for the job tho so I wasn't happy.

Then I had to have her rubbed down again, Get the bumber fixed, Re-Order the paint ect, Another pot of glitter and then find someone else to do her. I couldn't afford to pay another body shop so a guy in his own standard garage did it for me. She turned out really good seeing that she wasn't done in a booth or anything.
Old 01 May 2009, 12:04 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scudy23
Why are you worrying about over spray,stone chips etc........ Your having the car fully sprayed, ask the body shop to take the dinks out for you.
I was just asking about a respray and to get advice thats all. Dont think i'll be having it done soon anyway so would it be better if i just had the dings done for now.
Old 01 May 2009, 01:16 PM
dandruffe
Scooby Regular

im in a similar situation to you so keep me updated with ur findings!
Old 01 May 2009, 03:43 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Here you go Claire. Try these for the small dents. www.chiptech.co.uk Im going to pop up and see them in the week to get a quote for a couple of small car park dings in mine. If you buy the Evening post there is a 10% off voucher in the motoring section too
Old 02 May 2009, 05:47 PM
Scudy23
Scooby Regular

You could try dentmaster if they operate in south wales.

Originally Posted by blueg14rep
I was just asking about a respray and to get advice thats all. Dont think i'll be having it done soon anyway so would it be better if i just had the dings done for now.
Old 02 May 2009, 06:09 PM
top_fuel
Scooby Regular

there is a body shop I used very close to ASDA... its down a little narrow lane....

They sprayed my yellow civic spoiler for me and to my surprise the color match was spot on!!... even tho they had to re-spray it again as there was a drip mark on the corner...

If you want the address and number let me know as i will need to go find it
Old 02 May 2009, 07:11 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rally fan 555
Hi Mate - there is a mobile Company in Swansea called Chip Tech, I'm thinking of having them do a scratch/dent on the Mrs's car - 01792702224, try google chip tech and have a look at the site, i tried a link but I'm crap at IT !! Hoping that helps, also Nudgej, on here looks like he knows his bodywork - theres a thread down the page, he's sorting his green classic - good luck...

OOOPs I meant Madbeater about the spray/bodywork advice - not Nudgej - apologies to all
Old 03 May 2009, 04:45 PM
Scudy23
Scooby Regular

I seen a van on the M4 today which deals with everything your asking, company name is bodytech but was unable to get a contact number, maybe you can find them online.
Old 07 May 2009, 04:44 PM
dandruffe
Scooby Regular

dont mean to hijac your thread but seems a good place to ask.... what is the usual price for having a bumper re-sprayed?
cheers
Old 07 May 2009, 04:47 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dandruffe
dont mean to hijac your thread but seems a good place to ask.... what is the usual price for having a bumper re-sprayed?
cheers
Depends on if there is any damage on it but i had mine done for £80.
Old 07 May 2009, 05:08 PM
dandruffe
Scooby Regular

not really any damage but will need smoothing on a few corners from a botched repair job done by the previous owner..... out of interest where was this place charging £80.... seems a good price!!
Old 07 May 2009, 05:16 PM
Black-Hawk
Scooby Regular

That is a good price you'd be looking at between £160+vat and £185+vat down with me as a retail customer.
Old 07 May 2009, 06:05 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dandruffe
not really any damage but will need smoothing on a few corners from a botched repair job done by the previous owner..... out of interest where was this place charging £80.... seems a good price!!
Its down by me in Pontarddulais. Im sure he is the cheapest about around my area. Id auto refinishing.
£80 for mine was just to paint it.