Notices

Any 1 good with speed camera laws??

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2008, 03:40 PM
mattyboy82
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any 1 good with speed camera laws??

I was driving past the leisure centre in newport this morning as u all know theres loadsa road works now, anyway as u go past the bus station which is on the left it leads to a dual carriage way and as u enter the 50mph zone theres a lil tunnel thing etc anyway on the other side of the road theres a yellow gatso camera facing the other way, and problem is i put my foot down a lil as sum numpty in front was being a plonker driving and think i went to nearly 70mph in the 50 zone but as i looked to the rite there was a speed camera van on the other side of the road parked up and a oldish bloke fiddling with the gatso he saw me and this bloke and i cant quite remember if the copper kinda turned the camera a lil to face me and the other driver next minute it flashed twice but from memory there not aloud to flash the camera face on rite?? not sure if he pressed a button to make it flash so he could scare us or to try and get our plate numbers! any 1 know??
Old 03 March 2008, 03:46 PM
mattyboy82
Scooby Regular

ps i cant remember unless i drive down there but theres no markings on the road i was drivingon only on theother side where the camera was,think theres just 1 small line on the 1 i was driving on
Old 03 March 2008, 04:19 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

If you are driving towards a gatso camera then you will not get done by the gatso camera. Be sure it was a gatso and not a truvelo though. (truvelos have a round lens on the front and flash purple/invisible, gatsos have a square lens and flash white). Gatsos are not type-approved for measuring the speed of vehicles driving towards them.

However, that doesn't mean you got away with it. Camera vans do not flash at all, they use video. They usually have a black square opening in both the rear and the side of the van with the video camera poking out and are operated by a bloke sitting in the back. They do not require any road markings or anything like that as the radar attached to the video camera is deemed to be reliable.

However, it's fairly unlikely that they had an actual mobile camera van out there monitoring the road while the copper changed the film, what probably happened is the copper heard saw you coming and made it flash manually in order to scare the **** out of you.

Something he managed quite effectively, I think
Old 03 March 2008, 05:21 PM
bossurk
Scooby Regular

you will be ok buddy i dont think you will hear anything about this.
Old 03 March 2008, 05:50 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bossurk
you will be ok buddy i dont think you will hear anything about this.
If you do Bossurk will pay your fine
Old 03 March 2008, 05:55 PM
bossurk
Scooby Regular

EA/////////////SY TIGER NICE ONE MERV
Old 03 March 2008, 06:01 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

I know that area well as I live close by ... the speed limit towards the city (the side of the road where the camera is) is 30mph (in which case the trigger speed on the camera is probably 35-40mph, BUT its 50mph outbound from town. The camera will only cover traffic travelling towards the city centre, not outbound, which if I've read your post right, is the direction you were traveling in.

I suspect the guy was changing the film, he may have triggered the camera himself, or it could have been the radar picking you up - whichever way, there are no road markings to check the speed against on that side of the road so there's nothing he could do.

Gareth

PS I can't imagine for one minute that the guy would have had time to clock you, turn the camera slightly and trigger it if you had been travelling at the speed you suggest in the 50 zone as it starts under the bridge, just before the camera site - unless of course you booted well before getting into the 50 zone

Last edited by GarethE; 03 March 2008 at 06:07 PM.