Notices

What should I do??

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2006, 07:36 PM
wide
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I do??

Right as I am keeping the scoob (At least until the morning ) I need to have extra luggage space, as we take the kids camping in the fine summer we shall be having. I have also got a couple of days camping in Devon in June and all stuff we need to take wont go in the scoobs boot!
I have priced up 2 towbars with the thought of getting a trailer, one is from indespension in Taffswell removable swan neck (so you dont have to get an ungainly looking towbar stickin out all the time) for £365 or a fixed one fron roadrunner in Church Village for £208 fitted. Both of these require no bumper cuts but I am undecided. A trailer would be handy other times like removal of ****e from house.
Or should I get roofbars and a roof box which will probably cost best part of £400
Never had either before, but need something. Should have got a wagon
Old 20 April 2006, 07:41 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

never had a roof box or a trailer before but i would ratheer have roof box
Old 20 April 2006, 09:17 PM
RIGPIG
Scooby Regular

Purely on a personnel note I would have the detachable swan neck type, If I had to have one, Tow bar on a scoob doesn’t look right IMHO.

Why have a performance car and fit a restrictor (Trailer) to it…?

But Phil, you do have a valid point for it

Criss
Old 20 April 2006, 09:22 PM
julesp600
Scooby Regular

Personally, if I needed one and had the money I would go for the swan neck one. It is easier, less unsightly and just as useful!
Old 20 April 2006, 09:30 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Hold on wide, before you spend any money. It may be worth contacting the people in this recent thread in case they're still selling.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...&highlight=tow

Old 20 April 2006, 09:39 PM
wide
Scooby Regular

Cheers Rich i have pm,d him.
I realise that I dont really want a tow hitch stickin out the back of the scoob but 365 does sound a bit pricey for the pleasure. But I also know a roof box looks really silly. I know Im not going camping to look cool , but there are standards, mind a trailer doesnt exactly look splendid either. It either that or sell and buy a volvo
Old 20 April 2006, 09:46 PM
Gazz300
Scooby Regular

Phil There must be skiiers out there that will have a roof box spare in the summer. Stick a wanted ad in.

Or trade with Ian for a week!
Old 20 April 2006, 09:52 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

phil just a few things to look out for,if you go for the top box think of the fuel my mum had one on her car and she used double the fuel and when i removed it back to normal again, not something must consider but worth thinking about with the already steep costs we all pay.the other is watch out if you tow for stress on the chassis my old cossy had a tow hitch when i bought it, the bloke towed and it stretched the chassis,i was told only na cars are the only safe option for towing,i know it will only be a light trailer but worth a thought also.sorry this hasnt helped much has it.
Old 20 April 2006, 09:54 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

if you want a roof box though ive got my mums old one if you want it,ni roof rack but there only 20 bucks or so and you can have the box.
Old 20 April 2006, 10:15 PM
wide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by big daz2
if you want a roof box though ive got my mums old one if you want it,ni roof rack but there only 20 bucks or so and you can have the box.

Cheers Daz, not meaning to sound rude or ungrateful but is it a really old one friend has an old one and it looks like a box to house a wheelchair if you get what I mean
Old 21 April 2006, 10:44 AM
ZippyLane
Scooby Regular

Hire car..?
Old 21 April 2006, 12:38 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

no its what they sell in halfords if your down my way come and have a look.
Old 21 April 2006, 02:18 PM
Group Captain Smudger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wide
...need extra luggage space, as we take the kids camping in the fine summer we shall be having. I have also got a couple of days camping in Devon in June and all stuff we need to take wont go in the scoobs boot
I :
You're not trying hard enough. I managed to fit in 9 berth tent (humungous size not tiny Lidl's rubbish), blow up dinghy, camping table with chairs (the all-in-one thingy), two fold up chairs, cooking kit, mattresses, camping bed and various other bits 'n' bobs. This for a five day trip.

Admittedly the kidz did had to put their feet up on a few things inside the car but they managed.

BTW there was a small article in this week's autocar about a "strap-on" (ahem) type roof rack.
Old 21 April 2006, 08:42 PM
wide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Group Captain Smudger
You're not trying hard enough. I managed to fit in 9 berth tent (humungous size not tiny Lidl's rubbish), blow up dinghy, camping table with chairs (the all-in-one thingy), two fold up chairs, cooking kit, mattresses, camping bed and various other bits 'n' bobs. This for a five day trip.

Admittedly the kidz did had to put their feet up on a few things inside the car but they managed.

BTW there was a small article in this week's autocar about a "strap-on" (ahem) type roof rack.
Ha
Did a trip last year but kids were sat on so much ****e and it was boiling they moaned loads and it was a real krypton factor to get it all in and still left stuff behind. Also my boot is a bit smaller because the base has an mdf floor and it seems to take up valuable space( Mind I could take it out for trips)
What was the thing with "strap on " bars
Old 22 April 2006, 09:15 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Never had either before, but need something. Should have got a wagon

You said it
1. Get smaller kids!!!
2. Get a smaller you!!!
3. Get a Wagon............there's a couple in CVC

Or ................

4. Hire a caravan