Notices

Oh No! The dreaded clutch judder

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2006, 06:20 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Oh No! The dreaded clutch judder

The car's been running sweet since I've had it but during the really cold morning over last winter I got regular clutch judder during the first "1st to 2nd" gear change of the day. After that it was fine, no problems until the next cold start.

However over the last couple of days, I've been getting clutch judder pulling away in 1st, sometimes even when the car's warmed up and the judder is more violent now.

It also seems worse when I'm pulling away on a hill start.

Does anyone know if this is to be expected (part and parcel of Scooby ownership - there are plenty of historical posts on SN about this problem)?

Or is it time for an Exedy Organic clutch (plus the obligatory lightened flywheel )?
Old 16 April 2006, 07:21 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

Any signs that the clutch is slipping.
Old 16 April 2006, 07:28 PM
Daniel-S
Scooby Regular

Just a normal problem i thought
Old 16 April 2006, 08:01 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

No, it doesn't seem to be slipping, (although the missus did say yesterday that the car "feels like it needs a kick up the ****"), so I'm not about to rush out and buy a new clutch yet.

Hopefully it'll go away and I can pretend it didn't happen

On a serious note though, it is a bit worrying. The last thing I need is to have to shell out for a new clutch when I have both tax and insurance (only one years NCD = ~£1000 fully comp ) due within the next 3 weeks.
Old 17 April 2006, 02:08 AM
Scudy23
Scooby Regular

I had a bit of this last week,but like you said its only when the clutch/car is cold...........does this mean you need a new one then cos there seems to be plenty left on the peddle.

Scud
Old 17 April 2006, 05:05 AM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

No doesn't mean it needs replacing, it's a common fault on subaru's, mines been doing it for 3 years since i bought it. Took it back to CVC about a week after i had it and they told me they had a brand new demo car that did it.
Old 17 April 2006, 05:52 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Do a search for "judder", especially in the Drivetrain forum. It seems to be quite common with several remedies. You could try a couple of Banzai starts to clean off any uneven deposits on the contact surfaces. If this doesn't work then maybe get the flywheel skimmed. There has also been talk of dodgy release bearings, but more on early classics.
Old 17 April 2006, 09:47 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

my did the same on the old uk300 - in fairnes to CVC they put in a new clutch under warrenty
Old 22 April 2006, 09:08 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Rich nicked this off SIDC FAQ's Hope they don't mind The "When hot" may answer your question. You have recently done the front pipes? Heat etc.

3.5 Clutch judder

3.5.1 ... when cold

This is caused by the material used to with stand the abuse given to it by owners.....usually ok when warmed up. Can also be caused by problems (wear/dirt ?) with the special platinum spark plugs used in the Impreza. Replacing these at the 15,000/30,000 mile service can cure the problem (although sometimes only for a month or so!).
Another suggestion has been to treat your Impreza to several full bore standing starts (when warm of course), which apparently helps clean up the surfaces of clutch components.
For 1998 models, and some 1999 models, there have actually been many cases of faults with the standard clutch system. The symptoms are progressively worsening juddering when cold, leading to severe clutch judder at all times. Subaru dealers (certainly in the UK), have been replacing these faulty clutches free of charge under warranty, including a new flywheel, as long as the mileage isn't well above average, and the problem is severe enough. Some owners report a slight juddering at times, but this is not enough to warrant a new clutch.
3.5.2 ... when hot

Can be cured by uprating the clutch fluid to a DOT 5 fluid. Caused by fluid getting too hot from the engine bay heat. See also above for clutch problems with 98/99 cars
Old 23 April 2006, 07:43 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

...interesting, thanks Ian.

It seems to have gone away following some "spirited standing starts"