FAO Cardiff dwellers - info needed

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2004, 12:17 AM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAO Cardiff dwellers - info needed

Chaps,

I'll be travelling down to Cardiff by train on the 21st of this month for a conference on the 22nd. Can anyone in (or with a knowledge of) Cardiff suggest a decent place to stay?

Work is paying, and have suggested the Cathedral Hotel in Canton, but this is negotiable.

Thoughts, please???

Cheers

Kev

Last edited by cefski; 01 November 2004 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01 November 2004, 12:27 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Stay away from canton mate if you got your scooby. There are two hotels opposite the CIA arena/cinema which are good. Thats where i would try first, might be expensive though.
Old 01 November 2004, 12:41 AM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scrappydoo
Stay away from canton mate if you got your scooby. There are two hotels opposite the CIA arena/cinema which are good. Thats where i would try first, might be expensive though.

Cheers Scrappy. Won't be in the Scoob (travelling by train), but having done some research, the Cathedral hotel is listed as being in Pontcanna, on the border with the Canton area.

Cost is an issue, as I work for (as opposed to scam from ) the local authority. They'll pay for a decent hotel, but not for a luxurious one. Boss has used and has ok'd the Cathedral (CLICK HERE for a link)

Conference will be in the Millenium Stadium, apparently.

Kev
Old 01 November 2004, 08:13 AM
Scrappydoo2003
Scooby Regular

Cathedral Road is close to the stadium, and not far to walk from the station if you go down the Millenium walkway on the side of the stadium, Cathedral Road is a street of large old houses, so it won't be a newish hotel, but as far as location goes for you, it's fine..
Old 01 November 2004, 01:56 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Hi

There are a number of hotels on newport road on the way into cardiff.. Hotels there to suit all budgets.. Also there are a number of ibis/travellodge type hotels at the top of st maries street which is where most of the pubs and clubs are so in a prime location for a night out after the course.:-)

What is your budget.. let me know and i can suggest an actual hotel for you

J
Old 01 November 2004, 02:36 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

money no expense - Holland macdonald hotel on newport road - about 10 mins from the stadium

decent and resonable - the big sleep - about 7 mins from the stadium
Old 01 November 2004, 03:31 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Thats the hotel i was thinking of pippy (the big sleep). Its brand new, just been built.

Cefski
A few of my mates live in the pontcanna area, its not too bad but if i were staying in cardiff i would head toward the other side of cardiff (CIA and big sleep area)
Old 01 November 2004, 05:26 PM
Scrappydoo2003
Scooby Regular

Thats the hotel i was thinking of pippy (the big sleep). Its brand new, just been built.
No, it's the old British Gas offices and it's been there since I was a nipper.. the Holland McDonald is newer, but is also a converted office block, it used to be Chartered Trust...

How long you staying for, if it's one or two nights then I'm sure Cathedral Road is adequate enough, if longer then maybe something more plush..!
Old 01 November 2004, 05:38 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

your right the Holland mcdonald is newer but is also VERY expensive and 5*!! the big sleep has won awards for being mordern blah balh blah - you pays your money, you makes your choice.....

both are diffinately better than the ones in pontcana though

Originally Posted by Scrappydoo2003
No, it's the old British Gas offices and it's been there since I was a nipper.. the Holland McDonald is newer, but is also a converted office block, it used to be Chartered Trust...

How long you staying for, if it's one or two nights then I'm sure Cathedral Road is adequate enough, if longer then maybe something more plush..!
Old 01 November 2004, 07:20 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pippyrips
money no expense - Holland macdonald hotel on newport road - about 10 mins from the stadium

decent and resonable - the big sleep - about 7 mins from the stadium
If money is no expense then go for the 5* hilton in the centre.. been in there for a meal and a few drinks. very nice indeed.. every time i go in there i see that newsreader from HTV wales.. the smart dark haired one.. pity i am always with the wench at the time..:-)

J
Old 01 November 2004, 11:49 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

THanks for the replies, guys. I'll only be staying for the Sunday night, travelling back to Bangor on Monday evening after the conference ****e is done with.

Budget is pretty restricted (as Gwynedd Council / Youth Justice Board are paying), so whatever hotel I go for will have to be comfortable and clean, rather than 5* plush.

As I said, the boss has stayed at the Cathedral hotel on numerous occasions, and he isn't one for slumming it in some cheapo flea pit, so it looks like it's going to have to be Cathedral Road.

What are the pubs like round there? Any ones I should avoid? Would I be better off staying in the hotel bar?

Kev
Old 02 November 2004, 10:20 AM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

lol dont go out of your room just hit the minibar lol
Old 02 November 2004, 11:40 AM
Scrappydoo2003
Scooby Regular

There's a couple of nice pubs on Cathedral Road, the Beverley is one, and there's a new one I haven't been to, I think it's got a Welsh name and looks quite modern.. town's not to far to walk, just don't cut thru Bute Park in the dark, stay on the roads.. And Pontcanna isn't rough, compared to other districts...
Old 02 November 2004, 06:36 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Try this newly opened establishment also in Pontcanna. You never know you might even get Charlotte to read you a bedtime story before tucking you in for the night.

http://www.thechurchhotel.com/

Chip.