Notices

Snowdonia/evo triangle 06-09-03 Write up...

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2003, 11:25 AM
phatso
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Same here, was an excellent day out!

My ears are still buzzing and I can still feel the adrenaline pumping through me today!! The scoob performed amazingly through those roads, highly recommended to anyone who enjoys putting the scooby through what it was built to do (IMO).

Anyway, thanks for arranging the route Kev, I’ve got a couple of photos if you want them up on this thread otherwise I’ll email them to you and Llyr (drop me your email if you want a copy mate)

Already looking forward to the next meet!

[Edited by phatso - 9/7/2003 1:18:00 PM]
Old 09 July 2003, 02:38 PM
phatso
Scooby Regular

Put the few photos I took on a weblink for anyone who is interested ..

Photos

[Edited by phatso - 9/7/2003 2:42:03 PM]
Old 09 July 2003, 05:33 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Glad you enjoyed it

Anyway, for anyone who’s interested, here’s how it went…

Llyr and I set off from Caernarfon at about mid day, but by the time I’d fuelled up, it was closer to 12.30 when we got moving.

We opted for the more interesting route south, going via Beddgelert to Penrhyndeudraeth, where we joined the A487. Despite being held slightly by traffic, we still managed to make Penrhyn in a little over 30 mins. Not bad going., eh? A quick call to Lee (phatso) confirmed that he and Jade (missus) would be joining us and were already waiting for us at Mallwyd, the pre-arranged meeting point.

We kept on going south along the 487 and 470. Held up again by slow moving traffic, but we made it to Dolgellau pretty quickly, and we somehow made it to Mallwyd by 1.30pm.

Mallwyd was where the fun began. The A458 towards Welshpool is new to me. Lee said that he’d been for a nosey and mentioned that it was pretty slippy. So, the three cars headed towards Llyn Fyrnwy in a ‘cautious’ fashion. As is usually the case, this couldn’t be kept up for long, so we ended up driving as quickly as was possible along twisty, damp, unfamiliar and often narrow roads, which was a bit of a giggle. We got to the lake by about 2pm.

I think we were all disappointed with the drive around Llyn Fyrnwy – I was expecting a Sega Rally ‘Lakeside’ type experience, but this couldn’t have been further from reality. Walkers, cyclists, horse and cart and squirrels all meant that quick mode had to be disengaged for a while. There’s one less squirrel now, though (no names).

A wasted half-hour later, we were back on the road to Bala.

For anyone who hasn’t driven it, the B4391 from Penybont Fawr to Bala is about as good as it gets. A combination of ascents, descents, long bumpy straights, short bursts into second gear hairpins and the odd sheep thrown in. Practically traffic free, too. Great fun. Cars had a well deserved breather in Bala (Lee also got to change his undies )

The A4212 and the B4391 from Bala towards the A5 at Cerrigydrudion was unspectacular, but enjoyable. Then came the A5 and the evo triangle.

Now, I don’ know what it is about the A543 stretch of the triangle, but it’s always a challenge, part of it always catches you unawares. Today’s scary moment was accompanied by bags of understeer – some useless fcukwit at Denbighshire highways had the brains to resurface a fast, tight left hander on a budget. They’d used that awful combination of hot tar topped by loose chippings. It had obviously only recently been done, as there was an abundance of loose stones. Not nice, despite the unplanned comedy detour to the wrong side of the road. Anyway, the rest of it was as enjoyable as ever.

Five hours and near enough 200 miles after setting off, I got home. Front brakes are now almost completely s#aged. Good job I’ve got some Pagids on the way

Cheers to Llyr and Lee for coming along. Hope we can do it again some time.

Kev

[Edited by cefski - 9/7/2003 5:37:08 PM]
Old 07 September 2003, 02:06 AM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Had a seriously good day out today. Cheers to Llyr and Lee (and Jade ) for coming along. Full write-up will be here shortly....

Kev
Old 07 September 2003, 02:15 PM
L1J
Scooby Regular

Same here, awesome spin. Thanks for arranging it Kev. Nice combination of white knuckle roads
Old 07 September 2003, 10:17 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Oh, and my clutch seems to be fecked, too.

kev