Notices

Once in a life time major blag!

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2003, 10:57 PM
Ch!lledBudwei2er
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well there is a big festival coming up at the end of the week here in North Wales with the likes of José Carreras, Bryn Terfel and Elaine Paige aswell as some big name in the Welsh loop.
http://www.brynfest.com

Though no harm could come from trying for a photo press pass, some routine question to see if I was geneuine and then a submission was made on my behalf.

Got a email today telling me to go pick up my press pass !

Superb, might get some really one in a life time shots that could help my portfolio, but also got some interest from local papers and even a bigger source from the Daily Post all interested if the photos are good enough!
Old 20 August 2003, 11:00 PM
TURBORAY
Scooby Regular

hey !!!rhodri .

you cheeky ****** LMAO

Old 21 August 2003, 12:01 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Wink

Its people like you that make my job even more difficult ... how much for me not to inform the organisers ?
Old 21 August 2003, 12:04 AM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

Good on ya, Rhodri ... !!!
Old 21 August 2003, 12:16 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Seriously for mo, watchout when you get there and collect your pass... be prepared to sign a legally binding contract with the promoters as to who you are working for and supplying the pictures to. If they find you have made/or attempted to make money by selling the pics to another publication it can cause serious ****, you may also have to agree to supply the promoters with copies of the pictures FOC....it depends how serious, or on the ball, they are!!!!

Gareth
Old 21 August 2003, 09:53 AM
Ch!lledBudwei2er
Scooby Regular

I am genuine shooting for a local rag so there isnt any problem there, and also had a national paper interested.

Ive already had a chat with the Welsh Office PR and sorted it all out.
Old 21 August 2003, 09:58 AM
Ch!lledBudwei2er
Scooby Regular

GarethE
Just seen your profile, can I be cheeky and ask the whos and whats of your job?
It's something Ive been looking to get into for a while now, just lately been able to save up for the equipment I need to be able to be taken seriously.
Im gettin more and more "work" as time goes by and all going to plan will be shooting for CCC magazine this coming sunday with some back catalouge work also having a interest in printing.

email: rhodri@rhodribaker.com
Old 21 August 2003, 10:00 AM
Ch!lledBudwei2er
Scooby Regular

I am genuine shooting for a local rag so there isnt any problem there, and also had a national paper interested.

Ive already had a chat with the Welsh Office PR and sorted it all out.
They understand not all photographers are established pros, and were more than happy to take my position into consideration, and it paid off, I spose we all have to start off somewere.
Old 21 August 2003, 02:03 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sounds good m8...no disrespect intended with the previous postings, it sounded as if you just fancied a free night out , but we find more and more that our job is made more difficult and more restrictions are imposed on us as a result of people claiming to be professional photographers gaining access to various events. If you are there working, thats fair enough

Believe me there is nothing worse than someone who is not supposed to be at an event f*@!ing up a photograph that you need to earn a living from...I'm normally an easy going person, but a fan who a blagged a pass a few years ago for a Wales rugby International got a right mouthful as he celebrated a try in front of my camera and I missed an important photograph !!

I will email you privately soon with some pointers...hope the event goes well

Good luck
Gareth
Old 21 August 2003, 09:39 PM
Ch!lledBudwei2er
Scooby Regular

Sorry if I took it the wrong way, ask any of the scooby lot I dont they have seen me without a camera attached to me
Did make it sound a little like a free ticket, but cant say Im interested in the music at all, and as I live next to the Faenol I had a free pass as such anyhow, or I would do the old woods behind the bar trick that they did last year, and will again this year, silly security!

Im curreblty shooting in all my free time to get enough of a portfilio online and printed so that I can use it. But ive just got a new DSLR and some L lenses and need to shoot everywere again for the quality and sharpness that I missed with my old cameras.And I shoot best in winter as I love the area when it gets dark and snowy, so need winter to come along.

Had a e-mail some how off the Trinity Mirror group asking for Jpegs asap of the night and then they will get back to me about using some if they deem them to be of a high enough quality . I assume the Welsh Office have given the media details of photographers on the night out.
Old 22 August 2003, 12:16 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Smile

IIRC The Daily Post in Liverpool are part of Trinity Mirror, certainly the Western Mail are, perhaps thats how you got the email. If the names you mentioned are performing I would have expected a number of agency photographers, and established freelancers in N Wales, to be attending the event, they are already likely to be on commission for the National papers. They will supply pictures to the picture desk within ten- fifteen minutes of the artist leaving the stage...certainly thats the way that we work....every minute counts especially if its for the following days paper.

There is an awful lot to cover, all I would really say, without being patronising is just go out and shoot pictures...dont set yourself the target of coming away with an award winning front page picture, but concentrate on getting a good selection of pictures that picture desks can choose from, if you get one superb shot its a bonus. Watch how the other photographers work and the angles they use, it will depend whether you are photographing a solo artist, or a group how you cover it.

Dont rely on the cameras automatic metering, use manual exposure, the spotlighting and dark suits most opera singers wear will stuff the cameras metering system.

Keep it tight - you are photographing the singers not the stage (although always do one general view of the stage set)...its the pics of the artists that sell not fancy lights.

Be prepared to work quickly. Depending on the event you may only be allowed to photograph the first three numbers - thats certainly the case with rock and pop concerts - although this may be more relaxed. I photographed Atomic Kitten recently and had just one song to get good tight shots (portrait and full length) of each band member, and a selection of shots of the group together...lasted 3 minutes.

Be extremely critical...if the pic isn't in focus, forget it (unless its newsworthy, ie Elaine Page falling off the stage) someone else is bound to get it sharp.

Most importantly, talk to the other photographers...you are right, we all started from somewhere and this game is as much about who you know. Most of us are friendly enough and happy to help out, although the business is very competitive, so don't expect all the secrets and techniques that photographers have developed over the years to be given to you on a plate. I'm always happy to help, but I won't give my competition the benefit of any advantages I may have.

Hope that helps... I meant to have a look at your website, but haven't had chance yet.

Hope it goes well, let me know how you get on

Gareth

EDIT - Having just had a look at the concert website, the fireworks at the end will provide a good GV shot, although it is the most difficult to do. As the loction of the stage looks so photogenic I would also make a point of taking a GV from the crowd to give a flavour of the event, when one of the lesser artists are on stage, that way you don't miss the celebs

[Edited by GarethE - 8/22/2003 12:31:07 AM]