Notices

M4 Speed traps.

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2003, 08:53 AM
GMC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As of the 14th July 2003 information boards CONTAINING SPEED CAMERAS that calculate average speed over 1 mile sections will go live on the M4 (Wales). These cameras continually re-asses your speed and are linked to the DVLA etc. and can issue fines / points.

This was sent round at work, any truth in it?
Old 08 May 2003, 11:00 AM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

honestly i dont know but sounds about right dont it ...
Old 08 May 2003, 11:37 AM
Twigster
Scooby Regular

I've had it as well so it looks like there is at least some truth in it. I think we need to establish exactly where they will be placed so we don't get caught out by these things.

Nice to see that S. Wales police don't have a serious crime problem to deal with isn't it! *****rs. Why police the motorways which are officially the safest roads in britain?? I don't think there is as person alive who doesn't applaud them being outside schools or busy public areas. But they are never where they should be! Anyway, that's my angry rant over. Keep your wits about you fellas.
Old 08 May 2003, 06:19 PM
Mike Stokes
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I've had the same email at work (I work within welsh water) and knowing the number of tickets we all seem to be getting at the moment I expect it's true.
Old 08 May 2003, 08:20 PM
SAB
Scooby Regular

Angry

Heard the same thing in work today, but was told they were starting now. If it is true why is there nothing on the news (unless I've missed it)? Apparently they have been testing them on the Port Talbot stretch of M4 & will be in use between there & Newport area. They are supposed to use the large portable black signs which are used for messages. If it's true, surely there would be more publicity. What speed would be acceptable, 75, 80, 85 or dead on 70? CRAZY
Old 09 May 2003, 01:34 PM
NicholasO
Scooby Regular

All,

This came from DVLA.

"Those of you who use M4 might be interested in this, If i've forgotten
> > anybody pass it on.
> >
> > As of the 14th July 2003 information boards CONTAINING SPEED CAMERAS
> that
> > calculate average speed over 1 mile sections will go live on the M4
> > (Wales).
> >
> > These cameras continually re-asses your speed and are linked to the DVLA
> > etc and can issue fines / points. They have been on trial for a while
> but
> > now they go live.
> >
> > Please pass onto any one who may use the Wales stretch of the M4"
Old 09 May 2003, 07:01 PM
SAB
Scooby Regular

Question

Just been on the DVLA website and couldn't find anything on this.
Old 09 May 2003, 10:15 PM
NicholasO
Scooby Regular

Sab,

This was came from a contact at DVLA, I didn't get from the Website. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it's genuine
Old 12 May 2003, 10:02 PM
Hel
Scooby Regular

when you say "large portable black signs which are used for messages" do you means that signs that normally have an orange font colour and give messages like "Take a break - tiredness kills" and "don't use you mobile phone" etc

If they are portable that would explain why they aren't listed on the police website.

I wonder if they will be sighted on those ramps that the police cars park up on.

A few questions about these type of cameras
1) Are these what are called VASCAR cameras
2) Do they onlt calculate your average speed over the mile/km etc
3) Can they get your current speed when you go passed the first camera.

The reason I ask is if they can ONLY calculate the average speed, then as soon as you see the first "mobile sign" you can slow right down during the mile/km to bring you average down, eg even if you went passed the first one at 100mph then you would have plenty of time to slow down eg to 50mph to bring your average right down.

Is my theory correct or is 3) true also

from
Paul
Old 12 May 2003, 10:24 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Isn't this like or the same as SPECS? If so, then they will only calculate the average speed between the two points. They do not AFAIK take a single point reading.
Old 13 May 2003, 12:37 PM
jhdee
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Had to make a business trip up the M4 last weekend as far as the Severn Bridge from Penllegaer. Kept an eye out for these cameras.
There are 2 types of information board - mobile and fixed.
The mobile type is mounted on wheels and usually gives messages like "Queue Ahead". There were only 2 of these in each direction.
The second type is a fixed board looking something like a large letter T and gives messages like "Don't Drink and Drive" or the equivalent in Welsh. There are quite a few of these but mainly around Port Talbot and Newport tunnel areas.

Can only guess that if this rumour is true, it will be the second type of Information Board as this fits in with Trick's explanation as to how they work. There are sufficient numbers of this type of board to create the zones needed. Most are located in the 2 lane sections of the M4 around Port Talbot & Newport.Between P/Talbot & Newport there are very few boards. There are more of this type of board near the Severn Bridge (Old & New)

The only other option is that a lot more Mobile Boards will suddenly appear.

To be honest, I couldn't really see any evidence of a camera mounted in any type of the information boards.

When the 2 GATSOS went live in the Port Talbot 50 mph limit area they actually used the information boards to advise "Speed Cameras in Use". Hopefully they will do the same whenthese things go live but don't bet on it.

jhdee

Old 13 May 2003, 07:38 PM
SAB
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nice to know there's no serious crime in South Wales!!
Old 13 May 2003, 07:46 PM
:Mike:
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Yes there is, Swansea is practically the car-crime capital of the UK.

Have lived down here since October '95. In that time I've had:

- One attempted break in to a car - needed new door handle, door lock and some amateur panel beating to repair.
- One car stolen from my driveway, from one of the better parts of Swansea (Grosvenor Heights, Ty Coch).
- One car crashed into by joyriders in a stolen car.
Old 13 May 2003, 07:47 PM
Scooby Regular

Incidentally, that's why my Scoob has a Clifford Cat 1 alarm on it, despite the insurance company not specifying it...
Old 13 May 2003, 07:54 PM
SAB
Scooby Regular

Mike
Don't get upset. My point was that the police don't seem to have anything better to do.
Old 15 May 2003, 05:25 PM
Mike Stokes
Scooby Regular

I've received some info today from a friend that works for the welsh tourist board, apparently this is a hoax email. They've contacted the camera suppliers to South Wales Police who have told them that nothing has been supplied to SWP that can do this sort of thing. Apparently it's caused quite some number of phone calls to the tourist board, so they investigated !!

Be careful out there !

Mike.
Old 17 May 2003, 01:54 AM
Scooby Regular

Just got this from the Evening Post website:

HI-TECH CAMERA CLAIMS DISMISSED

TERRY CROCKFORD

14:00 - 10 May 2003

Police in South Wales have dismissed claims they plan to install M4 cameras which are able to calculate drivers' average speeds over sections of motorway. Rumours have been circulating on the internet that information boards containing speed cameras are undergoing trials in Wales.

It is claimed the grouped cameras would be able to determine average speeds over one-mile sections and would be linked to the DVLA, which would issue penalties.

Surfers were warned the cameras were set to go live in mid-July.

South Wales Police say there is no truth whatsoever in what is being claimed.

Community traffic safety officer Sergeant Nigel Whitehouse said: "At no stage have we trialled this equipment in South Wales and we have no intention of doing so.

"There may be trials under way in other parts of the country but it certainly won't be trialled on our stretch of the M4.

"This information on websites is wrong and we have no intention of introducing this equipment.

"There are devices which will log speeds over long distances but there is nothing like that in South Wales,'' he added.

"If anything like that were to be introduced we would give full publicity to it and keep the public informed.

"In France, for instance, they have a system in place to determine speeds between toll points.

"But the police forces of Dyfed Powys, Gwent and South Wales use fixed Gatso and mobile cameras and have no intention of introducing such a system."
Old 17 May 2003, 08:06 PM
SAB
Scooby Regular

I thought this might have been a hoax because there was absolutely no coverage on TV or in the press. Saw a camera van on the M4 just now pointing east. We were coming back in to Wales but you probably wouldn't have seen it heading out of Wales because the van was behind a huge information sign.
Old 17 May 2003, 10:08 PM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

Wink

it cant be true cos that would mean it would free up 2 police men per van and that would mean that they would have to do sum real policing...............
Old 05 August 2003, 11:57 AM
Scooby Regular

Well I've just run a check on http://www.checkyourspeed.org.uk for "M4". (Official site linked from the South Wales Police website). It's supposed to give all speed camera locations, both current and proposed.
It came back with:

Results 10 Cameras Found
Fixed Cameras
M4 Port Talbot
M4 Port Talbot
Mobile Units
M4 jcts 23a to 24
M4 junction 30-32
M4
M4, Jct 37
M4, Jct 35
M4 at J36 overpass ( Proposed )
M4 at Rhiwbina Hill overpass (J30-J32) ( Proposed )
Red Light Cameras
Coryton Roundabout/M4 slip E/B

The ones you've mentioned would surely be classed as "fixed" cameras, so they aren't mentioned yet...

[Edited by :Mike: - 5/8/2003 12:08:02 PM]
Old 05 August 2003, 07:18 PM
phd
Scooby Regular

From what I understand it is true, but the friggin' signs telling us they are there, together with the fluorescent yellow giraffe-like poles that the cameras will be mounted on should be enough warning for us all....

Pete

Is that you again McH'??? in disguise?

[Edited by phd - 5/8/2003 7:20:55 PM]
Old 05 December 2003, 11:29 PM
Trick
Scooby Regular

these are specs cams.

They are usually set up in a series of say 12 fixed points.
AS soon as you enter a spec zone, whether it be on the 3rd set of cams or the 11th, it will record your detail digitally. i.e. your plate & speed.

Then, when you hit the next set of cams, whether you hit them out of sequence, it will measure again - take your average speed.

Awesome set of kit, very fast and efficient, except motorbikes get away as usual!

[Edited by Trick - 5/12/2003 11:31:06 PM]