Notices
Trader Announcements Announcements (including special offers, product/service information) made by Authorised Advertisers

Handover at Japfest

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2012, 10:42 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handover at Japfest

It's a bit different this one!
I had a call from a gent called Alan based in Scotland. Of course we got on straight away! He required a car built for road and track use. When I asked him what sort of Scooby he had, he said he didn't have one, and could I get him one!
After much discussion I suggested a new age STi Blobeye as being the best choice to suit his needs.
We found a really nice one on Scoobynet, and fetched it from Brighton after Alan had purchased it sight unseen apart from pictures.
The car was perfect, in really good condition and ripe for modifying.
We stripped the car, ready for the goodies.
We used a closed deck block, built up into one of our 2.1 stroker specs. We used Mahle super sport pistons, with K1 rods, nitrided crank and ACL bearings, along with the usual RCM oil pump and ARP stud kit. Fully built and balanced in our shop of course.
An SC46 turbo was chosen, along with wrapped RCM headers. We used a new Alcatek ECU with Deatchwerks injectors and a Bosch 044 pump and swirl pot mounted in the engine bay. FMIC of course, behind a ZUN grille.
The suspension was treated to BC coilovers, with a full Whiteline kit using adjustable anti roll bars, so Alan could play with the balance. Powerstation set up the suspension geometry, which makes all the difference of course, and was a nice little trip when running the motor in.
Alan very sensibly wanted a roll cage fitted, and we went for a Safety Devices solution. The choice was made to go for white powder coating, which meant fitting it all, then taking it out again for a full strip and coat, before putting it all back! We did the wheels at the same time, along with the intercooler pipes.
A hydraulic handbrake was desired, so we came up with that one as well, fabricating the brackets to put it in the correct position. Luckily, Alan is the same height as me ( a bit lighter though!) so we were able to get it sorted nicely for him. We didn't want to compromise the stock handbrake.
We removed the ABS of course, which proved interesting when we MOT'd the car, causing some confusion until we pointed out that rally cars are exempt from the need to have it.
Anyway, we finished the car off with a mapping session which produced 445 bhp and 430 lbs ft. Pukka drive and very spooly from the combination.

We decided between us that the Japfest would be a good day for the handover, which turned out to be very pleasant, and made somewhat unusual, having done so much work to the car. The new owner had never clapped eyes on the car until that day, and of course we'd never actually met! He paid the remainder of the bill in Scottish £100 notes, which I'd never heard of! When I paid it in to the bank today the Lady said she'd never seen them before, and I said I thought they were unusual in having the same serial number on every note! That had her going for a bit...

I was going to take loads of pictures, but I kept getting busy so I have these.

Interior out for cage mount welding.

Cage fitted.

Engine.

Engine fitted.

Complete.

Handover, happy client and boss!

Last edited by Alan Jeffery; 14 May 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 14 May 2012, 10:57 PM
the bear1986
Scooby Regular

Must of been one hell of a build and the blob looks stunning alan
Old 15 May 2012, 02:11 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice story,
Old 15 May 2012, 06:57 AM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks stunning, loving the roll cage install.
Old 15 May 2012, 09:45 AM
Cammy5106
Scooby Regular

Nice car and good work Alan very good result..
Old 15 May 2012, 11:29 AM
BIGEMP
Scooby Regular

Good to see my old car looking even better was hoping to catch up with new owner at japfest,but after being held up in the queues he was obviously starting that long but quick i expect drive back to scotland
Old 15 May 2012, 01:38 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Your car is properly sweet now mate! Looks, performance and handling as well.
Old 18 May 2012, 06:50 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

cool . bet he had a few sleepless nights before the show with excitement
Old 20 May 2012, 09:52 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M444GY
cool . bet he had a few sleepless nights before the show with excitement
We always have sleepless nights before the Japfest!
Old 20 May 2012, 09:48 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

saw car in the flesh, looks amazing

wiley
Old 22 May 2012, 09:40 AM
MadUsa1
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Great work, looks awesome. How did you get the upper rear seats to fit so well around the cage - just cut some slits in the seat backs?
Old 22 May 2012, 01:55 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MadUsa1
Great work, looks awesome. How did you get the upper rear seats to fit so well around the cage - just cut some slits in the seat backs?
Correct. It just looks neater than removing them altogether!
Old 23 May 2012, 07:09 AM
MadUsa1
Scooby Regular

Absolutely, and those seat backs don't weigh much so there's little to be gained by removing them. Hope you don't mind if I copy you!

Last edited by MadUsa1; 24 May 2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 23 May 2012, 07:57 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MadUsa1
Absolutely, ans those seat backs don't weigh much so there's little to be gained by removing them. Hope you don't mind if I copy you!
Not in the least!
Old 09 October 2012, 01:18 PM
MadUsa1
Scooby Regular

I had the Safety Devices cage fitted a few months ago and I've just re-fitted the rear seats. Bloody hell, what a performance - they really don't want to go in huh?

It's made worse on mine because I have a rear cross and harness bar so there's very little room. You have to bend the steel rod in the bench so that the upper part of the bench is folded in half, then slowly force it open once it's past the rear stays of the main hoop.

Now that it's done it does really look good and it's SO much quieter in the car now. When time permits I'll get the girlfriend to sew up the cut fabric around the rear bars so it should be very neat.
Old 11 October 2012, 09:18 AM
martyp1970
Scooby Regular

"When I asked him what sort of Scooby he had, he said he didn't have one".....classic.

I was paid in Scottish 100 notes to a few years ago when I sold one of my old scoobys,
I had 89 of them I was clenching my behind until they were safely checked and put in my account.